Deuce

Non-copyrighted music sucks.

Argh.

So after reading all the stuff that came with Premiere, I'm terrified to use the good music I own on my DVD for the formation loads. The sample stuff that came with the plug-in just isn't that good.

Cajones, NacMac, Q, and you other professionals, what do you do? I'm guessing getting rights to popular music is hideously expensive.

Getting rights to top 40 stuff is definitely expensive. I use music with permission from the artists. It gives them exposure, and there're plenty of good bands out there that need exposure. Getting good music, in fact, is probably the greatest hurdle to producing a good video. One which I'm dealing with, right now, for the Eloy Boogie Video.

Using copyrighted music and getting sued is very expensive, I'd guess.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

look into smartsound.com. they had some royalty free stuff there that wasnt too bad as I remember. At least not too bad for things like intros, and such. Its not free, but fairly inexpensive ($50/track unlimited use) a freind of a freind of a freind knows somebody;) that doesnt really give a flying f.... for tandem vids... just uses top 40 stuff anyway. not like anone really important is gonna see/hear the tape and get him in trouble. And besides, he's a skydiver, even if they sue, they cant really get anything :D

Publicly distro'd tapes on the other hand...

Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

We let tandems bring their CD's in to put on their tapes, I don't think there's any copyright issue with that.

Technically, yes, there is an issue with that, but the reality is that -probably- nothing would happen. You could also -probably- get away with using any CD for tandems, but it's certainly living on the edge if you got caught and the larger the operation the bigger the risk.

Yeah, -most- royalty free music isn't great.

Then again, I'm pretty sure you'd be pretty pissed if you had invested a lot of cash to put together a really interesting skydive -- maybe paying for color coordinated jumpsuits and waiting until conditions were just "right" (sunset with beautiful clouds) -- got the perfect shot and then found out that some clown ripped it off the internet and used it for a business brochure. ALL without paying you a dime.

Well, that's exactly how musicians feel when you steal their music.

So, it's kinda understandable -- at least to me.

If you want to use it and it has payments associated with it, then you either pay for use or you don't use it. Pretty simple.

Frustrating, but simple.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

We let tandems bring their CD's in to put on their tapes, I don't think there's any copyright issue with that.

Technically, yes, there is an issue with that, but the reality is that -probably- nothing would happen. You could also -probably- get away with using any CD for tandems, but it's certainly living on the edge if you got caught and the larger the operation the bigger the risk.

Exactly. Fair use laws are pretty vague on that. Some argue that when the consumer buys the CD, they are allowed certain fair use rights (like making backup copies). Whether that carries over into them putting it on thier own video is really sketchy. Some might argue that if you put copyright restrictions on your video to prevent others from copying >your< work on the tape, then it is no longer the property of the tandem passenger.. its now YOUR tape.

God I hate lawyers....
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

Does it matter if it's not for profit, but rather for a presentation?
I am putting a "presentation" together, and I am NOT going to get any money directly from any sale of this individual recording(it's not for sale), is that still and issue?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Get this, some Karaoke versions of songs (the music, not words) are NOT copyrighted. Just thought you should know that.

Yes and no.

Here's the issue.

While they -might- not require royalty payments to the musicians, they -may- require payments to the authors.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Argh.

So after reading all the stuff that came with Premiere, I'm terrified to use the good music I own on my DVD for the formation loads. The sample stuff that came with the plug-in just isn't that good.

Cajones, NacMac, Q, and you other professionals, what do you do? I'm guessing getting rights to popular music is hideously expensive.

2 words: Garage Band. But I guess in order to understand those words, you must first use this word: Macintosh OSX

It's really a pretty cool program, and you can make just about anything. If you are even a mildly skilled musician, you double your quality.
mh

what about music i pay to download do i have any right to use it? i did pay for that why all the musicians were crying because it was free.. now i pay don't i own some rights to it now to use? i am not sure how all this works but i make a hell of alot of videos but i don't sell them or copyright them. i charge for videoing the jump and because i'm a hell of a nice guy i put in on a tape or dvd with music and I GIVE it to the students. how would that hold up? technecally i am not making money off their music.
big country
base998

Technically you pay for your own personal copy, but when you put it on a video you have now illegally distributed that artist's music. As said earlier that skydiving is really too small for them to care about. (as far as personal movies). But if a movie is sold for profit, you better have your ducks in a row.

Also, I'd like to throw out that probably nobody should go and call a recording company to see if they care that we use their music for tandem/aff jumps. Next thing we'll have is videoagraphers paying the same fines as the "file-sharers"

my .02

I paid for royalty "buyout" music for Fun With Gravity. The idea is that you are buying the rights to use it without paying ongoing royalty. Check out Sounddogs.The tunes run about $20-30 per, and I'm pleased. You can preview them on the site before you buy.
:)
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

The music industry really isn't that focused on the skydiving industry anyway as far as music rights. Even if they did see a video, most videos don't make that much money, unless its Good Stuff or something like that. I think the WFFC video even used to have copyrighted stuff before martini shot started making it. For small stuff like tandem vids I wouldn't worry about it, but if its a huge production like "Good Stuff", or "Crosswind" or WFFC video then it might be a good idea to cover youself and get the rights.

People and organizations who own intellectual property rights are going after "little people" every day.

A good example of that is the outbreak of federal lawsuits by Directv against individuals who bought smart card technology over the internet. The suits are, most likely, being handled on a contingent fee basis by several law firms. They can get very expensive.

Disney has been known to go after anyone who even comes close to infringing on their mouse, duck, dog or whatever.

ASCAP has people all over the country who will bust mom and pop for playing a juke box without an ASCAP sticker on the door signifying that they paid the dues in order to have the right to play the music.

"The music industry" is losing money, (making less than before...) and they are OUT there.

>:(
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Argh.

2 words: Garage Band. But I guess in order to understand those words, you must first use this word: Macintosh OSX

It's really a pretty cool program, and you can make just about anything. If you are even a mildly skilled musician, you double your quality.
mh

Check out this Wired article about Garageband and some of the links in the article. It's quite impressive what some people have done with it.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey