freekflyguy

What do you do on pull

When I first started jumping my camera suit I found pull time quite disconcerting, I felt as if I was going to go unstable because of the uncollapsed wing.

After a while I didn't think about it and just pulled stable no probs.

Whilst filming a fun jump in spain on our staff trip, I asked one of the guys to film me dumping out.

Whilst I was editing the end of year video, I noticed that on pull as I move my arms I drop my right knee. This is something that I was not aware i was doing.

What do you guys do?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

I do a full extension to slow down as much as I can, then put my feet up as I bring both arms in to my sides and pull.

Yeah, it takes some getting used to, doesn't it? Cause if you stay in a boxman and you reach back with your right arm to pull, that left wing will flip you over. If you leave your legs out and collapse both wings, you end up head down. And if you get nice and stable with your feet on your butt and your elbows in, you're hauling ass when you deploy. Fun, though, huh?

Have you made the mistake of hauling down to a formation and going to pop the wings only to realize you're in your RW suit? Vrooom.:)

Do you mean like this.............

Freaked me out when I first saw the video. Strangely only happens when flying the camera suit. Also, I do not get deployment problems.

(video shows recovery back to a symetrical position as the bag lifts off my back.......)

Bryn

bryn at pull.jpg

1) Full extention -get everything out there to slow down...especialy important if I've just been on my back filming an tandem opening.

2) Left arm comes in like the Mantis position, right arm back to pull. Right leg/knee digs in (drops), left leg raises slightly.

3) P/C Released and everything straightens out, start flying the deployment, hands on risers.

works for me.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I think I've finally crossed over into some weird area where I honestly have no exact idea what I'm doing as I'm tossing out.

I -believe- I'm pulling my left arm forward just like a normal belly flyer would, but I honestly can't say for certain if that isn't being offset by some funky leg position or body twist.

All I think about is maintaining heading and driving forward just slightly. I -believe- that by driving forward just slightly (just a couple of feet), it keeps the pilot chute out of the burble behind me and I -believe- I get better openings. But honestly, after about 1,000 camera jumps, I can't say I have a clue. I'm just not thinking about it all that much any more.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

freakflyguy,

what is your profile photo?

its been bugging me for days now, just cant work it out.

Its the result of trying to flare with fingers still in dive loops.[:/]

I've attached some better pics, Vans off is the profiole pic.

Buzz

Metal.jpg

Vans On.jpg

Vans Off.jpg

oh , and brynny boy,

i hope you werent dumping in a cloud, because it looks preety like a big bad rain cloud your jumping in there.

but im sure you could see the ground
the mighty hitchen knows and sees all.

Why man that'll be Industrial haze like.

Shall we show John the pic at the AGM??

Are you two gonna make it?

Buzz

I'm in the same boat. Not sure what I do when I have wings. The only deplolyment I actually "think" about is w/Birdman suit. I remember in the early days, I made a conscious effort to make sure I didn't reach between my wing and body (pulling pilot chute through the wing), but never really paid attention to how I compensated for assymetric lift. I'd say this' another reason why flying should be pretty much instinctive before we strap a camera on our heads.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

I'm still new to wings...

I'm consistently raising my left arm as if I were in any other jumpsuit. I know there's something weird going on with my legs, but I'm not entirely sure what it is. Whatever I'm doing, I seem to have gotten it right after the first few jumps.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Oh, ugh.

Never get in serious trouble around a vidiot. They'll get great footage of you getting mauled by a bear and forget to help:P

Congratulations on your recovery (I'm hoping you recovered...)

No one got my impact on video, but I told the first person on the scene (Mick Nealis) to go get it camera and video the rest.

I had the accident in Nov 01, was off the road till Apr 02, had the metal work out a year to the day after it was put in.

So I didnt miss much of the season, and still managed 300 jumps last year.

Buzz

I slow down, try to squeeze in an altimeter check,get a visual on the ground, and then the horizon,, LOOK around,,, and wave !!!... I wave before pulling,:S always, even if there is no else around,,, (force of habit),,,
I go to my BOC, with the right hand, as my left elbow bends, collapsing that wing, and my left hand goes just off my left shoulder,,,
Once I grasp the P C handle,,, I squeeze it hard,,,,hitch,,, and really!!!! throw it,,,,, Hard !!! to my side,,, with full extension of my arm...I keep my head level with the horizon,,,,wait to feel my risers
load,,,, and as I am getting stood up,,,, I then grab each riser with the corresponding hand,, and only then, look up to verify the slider has completed its move to the connector links,,(Of course there have been the occasional line twists or snivels,,, wherein the slider has not made it down the lines yet,,, in which case I work the risers as needed to assist...)...
Once the slider is down,,, I always :
1. check for other traffic 2. look behind each riser at the 3 ring locking loop, to be sure it's intact and that the cable end is still in its fabric channel,,,3. drop my swoop cords off my hands, release the plastic couplers, where the bottom of my wings connect near my hips,,,,4. reach up and pop my toggles,,,,and then 5. drawstring, or split my slider, depending on what rig I am using...
After that it's altitude check, ground check, 2nd traffic check,,,,,,, and then its, head over towards the downwind leg of our clubs landing pattern for that day....and ....:|:) OH yes,,, I SMILE WIDELY......B|:D:ph34r:

I think I've finally crossed over into some weird area where I honestly have no exact idea what I'm doing as I'm tossing out.

Welcome to the Pro-World! B|

When I was a student skydiver, my mentor was an RW National champion. Several years in the 4-way group, and later, several years as their videographer.

When I asked him how he did turns, so I could learn, he replied..."you know, I really don't know. I just do it".

I guess after 8,000 jumps, it just becomes a learned trait. The mind knows what to do and the body follows.

Pretty cool.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Its the result of trying to flare with fingers still in dive loops.[:/]

eeeek! that looks bad B|. glad your back jumping

Why man that'll be Industrial haze like.

why i man, thats the canni'est geordie accent ive read on a dropzone.com

i think bryns going to the AGM, dont think im going to make it (working nights next week....haraaaah! not.)