r2hubert

FireWire VS USB

I'll try to find a solution without spending any money :P
Thanks anyway.

I was looking at the description of the product and I didn't knew that it was possible o burn a CD that can be read by a DVD player. How is the quality? What length can you expect with a good image quality?

Thanks again

--
Renaud SMA #9
"Mind is like parachute. It only functions when it's open."

I was looking at the description of the product and I didn't knew that it was possible o burn a CD that can be read by a DVD player. How is the quality? What length can you expect with a good image quality?

They're called VCDs and not ALL DVD players will play them. It's VERY important to know ahead of time before spending this sort of cash if it's going to actually work for you or not. Unfortunately, there's really only one way to find out. [:/]
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I have a sony pc101, and there is no way I could transfer video to computer on my usb. It was ok for stills. Invest in the firewire card, it works well and the editing can be entertaining if not time consuming if you want perfection.
"Don't ever knock on deaths door, just ring the bell and run away - it really pisses him off"

I have a sony pc101, and there is no way I could transfer video to computer on my usb.

5 minutes of full resolution video takes about 1 Gb of hard drive space. USB 1.x is only rated to 12 Mb/s and can't provide the bandwidth, Firewire (IEEE1394) is rated to 400 Mb/s and is perfect for video capture. But be sure you have enough hard drive space :)
Rich M

Yes you are right! I succeed to transfer video from my PC101 to my computer via USB and the quality is very poor .
But at least it's possible

ObgeekComment: USB 2.0 is coming out very shortly, and is said to transfer at upwards of 1 gig/sec - faster then firewire.

There are other reasons that firewire is better then USB - like the fact that USB needs a "computer", (ie, usb mouse plugs into computer, usb printer plugs into computer) while firewire does not need an actual "computer". This means you can firewire between two camcorders, but will never be able to USB between two without having a PC handy.

Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

USB 2.0 is spec'd at 480 mbs and Firewire is at 400 mbs.

http://www.usb.org/developers/usb20/faq20/
The USB 2.0 specification has a design data rate of 480 mega bits per second

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/prodtechindex.html?cat=/Technology/FireWire-1394
FireWire is as hot as its name suggests, supporting data speeds up to 400 megabits per second (Mbps).
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Just around the corner huh? Just like the Boeing Sonic Cruiser?

In other words, if it isn't here yet, don't hold your breath.

I guess when USB 2.x is on computers AND cameras then I'll care, but until then FireWire is it.
quade -

I guess when USB 2.x is on computers AND cameras then I'll care, but until then FireWire is it.

Ditto, except the extra bandwidth won't make any real difference to video in it's current format as firewire already has the bandwidth for full screen capture in realtime, so USB 2.0 offers nothing extra. No reasons to swap there then.
Rich M

BTW, I recently bought a firewire cable to link two camcorders, and it doesn't work [:/] I use to borrow the cable to friend, so I wanted mine :P
Is there something special with this cable, it's not a regular one?
Here is the one I bought: FireWire

--
Renaud SMA #9

There are two types of connectors for FireWire connections; 4 pin and 6 pin.

4 pin is usually used for cameras.
6 pin is usually used for computers and hard drives.

Camera-to-camera connections are normally made with cables having 4 pin connectors on both ends.

Camera-to-computer connections are normally made with a 4 pin connector on one end and a 6 pin connector on the other.

Computer-to-computer (or hard drive) connections are normally made with 6 pin connecotrs on both ends.

IF the cable -says- it's IEEE 1394 or FireWire then it should just work. Period. End of discussion. There are no other "special" FireWire cables.

The only other possiblities are that there was a defect in manufacturing -- in which case, the cable just doesn't function or one of the connectors on the devices has gone bad. The simplist trouble shooting exercise is to borrow somebody else's FireWire cable and see if it works with that. If it works with a different FireWire cable, then you can safely assume the fault is in the cable itself and it needs to be replaced. If the connection still doesn't work when you use a different FireWire cable, then you'll have to assume that one of the device connectors has gone bad.
quade -

So I can assume that the cable is bad [:/]
Because I use other cables without problem... I was confused because the cable I normally use is a sony ($70) and the one I bought is a ?!? ($9.9)...
I guess I'm not gonna ship the cable back it's not worse it [:/]
Thanks anyway! :)

--
Renaud SMA #9

I was at Costco yesterday and saw a Pinnacle Studio DV. It's $99, comes with a firewire card and software.

That waht i use,and i can highly recomand it for first time editors,its easy to use,and wery user freindly.But if you want to edidt for real i would recomend some bigger..This is real for "home-video",but its easy and if you dont care about all thouse fancy things,but just want your video whit background musik,and a few text,its just you

Stay safe
Stefan Faber