skreamer

Basic PC spec for editing?

Hi all
What is the basic spec I would need to edit my videos? We are only talking basic editing here as well, perhaps a slo-mo with some music and titles added - nothing longer than say 3 minutes. (I was thinking I would edit each dive individually and then burn all the best into a collection on one CD).
Anyway, what is the basic spec I need (processor, RAM, HDD)? (FYI I have already ordered a firewire card and am using a PC9). Also if any of you can recommend a user-friendly app to use for editing, I'd appreciate it. I don't want to make Oscar material so am not interested in Premier or anything else advanced (just yet). Can anybody recommend an easy app that can do the business?
Thanks
Will
"Don't die until you're dead"

ok alot of firewire cards come with good free software to use most are more than suitible for what you are after. My personal preference is ulead.
best bet is go to a magazine store/newsagent look around at the magizines for digital video ones and at the computer ones some have cds that come with alot of free programs so you can try to fiquire out what you want.
ok im not a computer person so i cant help with most of it but i know youll need alot of space , obvioulsy if you are only editing jumps then you are going to want it at its best possible quality youll prob get a couple of jumps per gig
Opinions are like a-holes everyone has one, the only one that does you any good is yours and all that comes out is shit

If you don't want Priemer, then the advice given to try ULead is definately good advice. As for the computer, yes, you need a firewire card for connecting to your camera, if you want to export to something besides your PC9 or if you want to export to something else with out going through your PC9, then you might want to get something like an ATI All-In-Wonder.
As for computer specs themselves, you can't have too much RAM or too much HardDrive space. Personally, I wouldn't want to do anything with less then 512mb of ram and less then 30gb of free HD space laying around. You can pick up both real cheap, infact, you could probably pick up a WD 100gb EIDE fairly cheap off the web, that'll give you some room to play. As for processors, atleast 1gHz. Infact that would be the very low end. You can pick up very fast machines comparitively inexpensively. As for the flavor, personally I am a HUGE AMD fan and would recommend that you stay away from Intel, but that could be argued for quite some time. But what ever you do, don't get a Duron or a Celeron. They're great for surfing the web and using MS Word, but you'll want the power of the Athlon or P4 for editing.
To summarize:
atleast 1gHz (more like 1.5 or better)
512mb of RAM or better
30gb of free HD space
Ideal setup:
AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (1.73 ghz)
1gb of DDR ram
2 Western Digital 100gb HDs (one for the system and *fun* stuff, the other dedicated to videos)
This stuff is very subjective, but that's my opinion...try going here BTW for some good prices: www.pricewatch.com
"ahhhhoo...the little guy hasn't done anything yet and you know its going to be good..."

Hey dude,
I'm running Pinnacle Studio 7 under W2K on an Athlon 900, with 512 mb ram and an 80 gb ibm hdd. It works fine, although I've had MAJOR headaches trying to output finished movies back onto my PC9.
I would have thought the most critical bit was the speed of the hdd: my ibm is 7200 rpm, ata 100 and the only thing on its ide channel.
Most of my pc bits come from dabs.co.uk or scan.co.uk.
Let us know how you get on!
[mandatory question]When are you coming back to Langar???[/mandatory question]
:)Gus
"Sex? Once every six seconds. Skydiving? Five times, every six seconds."

I have no problems doing anything on my Mac(s). Burn Cd's, DVD, print pictures, word processing, web design, MS office, home/small business accounting, all works just fine (I can even post to dropzone.com)... and have not had to re-install multiple times like some of my PC friends.
Josh
www.aerialfusion.com

Sure you *can* but your options are very limited as to what you can use for hardware and what you can find for software. To top it off, it will be more expensive then the PC equivelent.
I was refrencing the PC as a system, not a certain operating system, but I can say that my Win2000 is rock solid and has been (except for that time that I had a HD failure, the controller board fried on my primary HD...that was fun).
Note: The last IT job I had, I was the resident Mac expert, although mind you I am behind in what I know, since the last OS I was really jamm'n on was 7.5.
:)"Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Unless you want to do any other sort of computing besides video editing, then your screwed.

We've been all over this about a gajillion times.
I agree that the Macs don't have quite the wide range of games that are enjoyed by the Windows crowd, but as for doing actual work, just about everything that you could want to do has a Mac solution -- video, word processing, image editing, 3-D . . .
In a lot of cases, the Mac solutions are far, far more elegant than their Windows counterparts.
The ONLY program that I would really like to see ported to the Mac that I haven't seen so far is a totally up-to-date AutoCAD. Then again, AutoDesk changes the freekin' format so often that I can't keep my Windows AutoCAD up-to-date either. How AutoCAD ever became the industry standard is way beyond me.
But I digress.
When it comes to video editing, Macs rule right out of the box.
quade
http://futurecam.com

Not to get way off the original intent of the post... if you want a DV editing machine, you are not limited to the PC platform...
Check them both out see what you like better... Ask yourself do you want a DV editing system that you can do other stuff on too? Or, do you want a computer that you can do some editing on?
I have used, and am fairly handy with editing on both PC and Mac...
I will grant you that there is some hardware that is limited in availability and cost more (a dual monitor card comes to mind), but most other commercial hardware (scanners, printers, etc) are x-platform. A lot of the other stuff is built in now (including the dual monitor card). I will also grant that there is some limitation in "recreational" software, but if I want to play games I'll go to Dave & Busters. I have not had any problems finding applications to do anything that I want to do.
Most of the higher end graphics software is x-platform and some is Mac only (Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio for example).
I'm sure there is some stuff Mac's can't do, I just don't need to do them.
Peace
Josh
www.aerialfusion.com

Shit, I should've known the Macs thing would come in again. I have nothing against Macs, amongst other things I support our design team (three G4's and an iMac). I LOVE supporting the design team because their Macs are so solid, I think Macs are great, but I CAN'T AFFORD A MAC!!!!!
Between my two jobs, girlfriend and skydiving I don't really have the time to invest in learning something like Premier (nor am I willing to sacrifice the time). All I want to do is make slo-mos, add titles and maybe add music, I am not interested in any other features. All I need is a basic app.
Thanks Aggie, I sort of thought I would need to upgrade my processor (PIII 650) and get some more RAM. Guess this means a new motherboard and more $$$$ too, :(.
Gus, I've used dabs for quite a few years too. When you coming back to Hinton so I can outfly you (again)... ;)
Will
PS I DO love Macs, really!!! :)"Don't die until you're dead"

Okay Macs and Pcs both have their plusses and minuses. But if you are into doing video, and could possibly like it and want to do more, the Mac is the best thing to go with period. One could argue that if you plan to do video you should have one computer solely for this use, and any other applications should be on another computer to keep memory space free. Regardless the absolute best place to get a Mac is at www.smalldog.com
You can get the best deals there. If you plan on placing your videos on CDs then like you said keep them short. CDs aren't a real good place to store video and sound because of limited space. DVDs are the superior choice. Anyway, you can get the whole set-up for under $1000.00 right now. The software that already comes with it is called iMovie2. Yes it has its limitations, but is so easy to use that it doesn't even come with a manual, yet will allow you to do everything you want and more. Plus when the time comes to upgrade to something more professional it is easily transferable. Hope this helps.
-Rap