wes

Pisa??

I was wondering if anyone actually knows what the situation is with Pisa? Are they still operating on their own or are they now part of Aerodyne? A friend of mine is going out to South Africa later this year and I was hoping to get him to pick me up a Heatwave and a Tempo but with all the various rumours flying around I did'nt know if this was going to possible any more.
Thanks
Wes

PISA is now Aerodyne Systems, part of Aerodyne International along with Aerodyne Research in the USA and Aerodyne Technical (hmm, something like that) in France. Not rumor. Fact from Ian Bellis. We had to figure out rules for PIA memberships of companies changing names or owners.

Terry
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Any idea how this is going to affect operations? Same company with a new name, or are they making any substantial changes? I'm thinking of going PISA (or Aerodyne, as the case may be) for my next main. Personally though, I'd never buy a tempo. I'd like a PD for my last chance, and I like the way my PDR flies.
I got nuthin

Pisa is gone. All the canopies from Pisa are gone. PISA is no more. They are now making Aerodynes canopies with similar designs. There is the transition peroid to convert to Aerodyne and it wouls like they are starting that soon so you only have limited time to get a cheap canopy since Aerodyne is taking the prices up from the sounds of it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Before last year PISA was not putting span wise reenforcement tape on their canopies. This was a weaker design then the PD design. The pack volume between the canopies shows the difference in reenforcement tape. You can fit a Tempo 170 in the same reserve container that a PD 143 is tight in.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

But the good people at Precision Aerodynamics tell us that the dash M series' spanwise reinforcement across the lower surface is a "unique engineering technique".

Galaxies are colliding!
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Before last year PISA was not putting span wise reenforcement tape on their canopies.

they have had that for more than a year. they had some problems with the original ones. it has been on for a while. ;)

and they still pack smaller than any other reserve on the market ;)

hell, i actually one day for shits and giggles, put a tempo 150 in a rig for a pdr 113/tempo 120/pdr 126. i tried this because i had heard that the tempo 150 packed up the same size as a pdr 126, and sure enough, it went in just fine. it was kinda tight, but not bad.

later

I'd never buy a tempo. I'd like a PD for my last chance, and I like the way my PDR flies.

What exactly makes PDR more reliable than Tempo ?

He likes the way it flies. I don't think he said it wasn't reliable.

I'm not a big Tempo fan either and would'nt have one as my reserve, however I have one jump on one falling about 130mph, opened just fine. It was fast, on heading. It flew fine. The inspection showed nothing out of the ordinary.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I'm not a big Tempo fan either and would'nt have one as my reserve, however I have one jump on one falling about 130mph, opened just fine. It was fast, on heading. It flew fine. The inspection showed nothing out of the ordinary.

just kinda wondering why??

if it is because of the weight max's that they put out, those are for the best performance, ie best glide, flare and all that.

my buddy who designed the tempo has recently done some drop tests with a 120 @ 180 knots ~ 200 mph, with 300 pounds hanging under it, and it opened great, no damage at all. and it still was withing the specs to be considered "safe" under it with breaks stowed, which is 21 ft/sec down, it was 17 ft/sec.

again, just wondering why, it didn't would like you had that bad of an experience with it.

later

This brings me back to a question I've had for a while... What is the real difference thats causing PD canopies to pack so large and the Tempo to be so small? HJas PISA discovered a new way to make canopies smaller? Is it a size dfference a al Safire ve Sabre type difference?
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

This brings me back to a question I've had for a while... What is the real difference thats causing PD canopies to pack so large and the Tempo to be so small? HJas PISA discovered a new way to make canopies smaller? Is it a size dfference a al Safire ve Sabre type difference?

hell i don't know. maybe different "f-111" material

later

I heard a rumor that PISA, which has always been the low price-point leader, is going to raises it's prices up to par with the rest of the industry. look for that $900.00 Heatwave to cost $1600.00 by years end. Thank you AR!
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

Is it a size dfference a al Safire ve Sabre type difference?

Totally different animal here, but I was recently told that the Speed 2000 reserve from Germany is measured like the Safires used to be - a Speed 170 is the equivalent to a PD143R. Boy, wouldn't that be a surprise to the unknowing soul who based their reserve loading on the stated square footage and opened it up to find that it's 20-30 sq.ft. "smaller" than they expected...

Has anyone been able to get in contact with them via email? I've sent them a couple of emails, with no joy. Normally I get a response within 24 hours.

yes.

Apparently, there's been a slight 'glitch' with the configuration on the SA side of Aerodyne. If you use the old (insert name here)(at)pisa(dot)co(dot)za format, it should work...at least I got thru. :)

too, my guess is that they are still bombarded with stuff from symposium and are still playing catch-up...as are most of the manufacturers that i know.

fyi,
arlo:ph34r:

Totally different animal here, but I was recently told that the Speed 2000 reserve from Germany is measured like the Safires used to be - a Speed 170 is the equivalent to a PD143R.

Are you sure it's about the area and not the packing volume?
Speed 170: chord=8.5ft, span=21.1ft. This is 180 sqft!
--
Come
Skydive Asia

The difference is are you measuring top of the canopy or bottom of the canopy. PD measures the bottom. The original Safire measured the top, same with the Speed I've been told.

If you measure the bottom skin it should be about 19.5 feet.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

The difference is are you measuring top of the canopy or bottom of the canopy. PD measures the bottom. The original Safire measured the top, same with the Speed I've been told.

Right, the chord and span are measured on the top skin. However, the name still reflects approximately the area of the bottom skin. So, what's the problem?

From PIA documents (they also explain how to measure it practically):

Chord: Standard definition: The chord is measured (in a straight line) from the farthest forward point to farthest aft point on the airfoil section. Measured with the canopy laid flat on side with very light tension and as many wrinkles removed as practical. If the chord is not constant, an average chord may be specified or the chord at each loaded rib may be specified; must also specify design (cut dimensions less seam allowance) or finished dimensions.

Span: Measured parallel to the leading edge of the top surface, 6" behind the leading edge, with minimal tension (5 lb. or less); if the length of the trailing edge is not the same as the length of the leading edge, an average span or separate leading and tailing edge dimensions may be given and must be specified. Measurements shall be made with 10 pounds-force (or less) tension on the area being measured; at standard atmospheric conditions.
--
Come
Skydive Asia

This brings me back to a question I've had for a while... What is the real difference thats causing PD canopies to pack so large and the Tempo to be so small?

hell i don't know. maybe different "f-111" material

Or maybe because they have a higher aspect ratio
--
Come
Skydive Asia