zuluguy

Difficult Slots on a Big Way

What would you consider difficult slots on a Big Way? I realize other factors play in such as shape of the formation early floater, diver to late diver, that determine difficulty of slots. But in general what are the key/difficult slots that go to the best of the best. I would have thought the anchor slots are difficult slots but it seems people tend to believe late divers are hard slots. I've done big way (100 ways) and most of my dive I was late diver and I did not necessarily think those are hard to fly but then what do I know....
but then 100 way late diver is sme what different to a 400 way late diver

The most difficult slot is the organizers. Unless you enjoy hearding cats......;)

Ed

Or swinging the axe when it needs swinging! ;)

I've done a good bit of big ways, including a few successful 100+ ways, most of it back in the late 90's. Most it done as a late diver, though I've done just about every kind of slot, except in the base (the exception being base captain on the deaf world record 15 and 16 ways). I don't know that one slot is more difficult than another, although there are some that carry more pressure to do your job in, like base and anchor slots. However, as a late diver, I've done it from all planes, king airs, otters and Casas, left, base and right trail. IMO the left trail otters and king airs are the hardest since you can't see the base until you dive out and turn left to find it and get your bearings. Then sometimes there's the front front float on a right trail otter that's positioned in just the wrong spot in relation to the base casa where you can't even see the base come off the ramp and you end up being late on exit. Happened to me once.

Then there was the one time I was to follow the 8 way base out of the Casa on a 100 way, and the captain wanted me to fly directly OVER the base on the hill and come in to dock on the far side. THAT was a trip! :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

organizer for sure but then I love the base 40 or bigger depending on formation....no base no skydive. Late diver is fun but I found I had lots of time to set up. In the base formation you need to be fast and consistent and then fly the formation!

having said that it's all different, hard and fun!

Other than being an organizer, I think that being on the bench is most difficult.
On one side, you hope that someone fails, on the other side you are there to support the team.
Finally, once you are asked to join, you have to be able to fly any slot.

Also your weight might influence which slot you regard to be difficult. The further out you dock, the slower the formation is already falling (yes, I know that thwere are formations that are quite consistent in fall rate). Therefor, for most folks the following applies: The heavier you are, the closer to the center you want to be to consider the slot easy.

blue ones,

M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

All have their challenges. Anchor slots are key because certain sections rely on those in order to build past a certain point. However with current techniques, folks should build in their slots whether you are there or not. Slots in any aircraft other than the base plane are tricky in that the navigation can be difficult. The base may not be where you expect, and if it turns, you may not be aware of it. This makes finding your slot tough, sometimes.

Really, the only hard slot is one that you're not prepared for, either physically or mentally. (Dress for Success.) If you're far back and not dressed for it, you may go low. If you're close to the front and can't fall fast enough, whether due to lack of weights or arching enough, you can really mess things up. Each slot has certain characteristics that you need to evaluate prior to the jump in order to be prepared. If you haven't picked out key people from the base all the way out to your slot to use as navigation checkpoints, you may get lost or at least be ineffecient in your approach.

Kevin

Really, the only hard slot is one that you're not prepared for, either physically or mentally. (Dress for Success.) If you're far back and not dressed for it, you may go low. If you're close to the front and can't fall fast enough, whether due to lack of weights or arching enough, you can really mess things up. Each slot has certain characteristics that you need to evaluate prior to the jump in order to be prepared. If you haven't picked out key people from the base all the way out to your slot to use as navigation checkpoints, you may get lost or at least be ineffecient in your approach.

_________
Well said!

Outfacing.

No, the most difficult slot is the cameraflyer!

Now, don't laugh. Think about it. If -one- flyer doesn't make it in...or screws up...they get blamed for their mistake and usually laughed at.

If a cameraflyer misses his slot (which includes a working camera, too) it reflects on EVERYBODY. There's nothing to show, thus a total waste of a jump (no debrief, etc). B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

The easiest slot is one where you follow and dock on someone solid, stable and smooth.

So the converse is: the most difficult slot is the one where you have to sheepdog a zoomie or dock on someone who's floaty.

And being front float at 17.5k on a cold day has its challenges too!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The easiest slot is one where you follow and dock on someone solid, stable and smooth.

So the converse is: the most difficult slot is the one where you have to sheepdog a zoomie or dock on someone who's floaty.

And being front float at 17.5k on a cold day has its challenges too!

I remember trying to dock on a loop that was swaying back and forth and giving me the dickens of a time... - 106 way world record star attempt at Chester SC in '97. When everything goes smoothly, piece of cake. When it doesn't, it's tough.

And hell, being front float on Mr D in a formation load with two otters was about the hardest thing I ever did! Just pulling myself from the door to the front-most slot on that bird was the second-hardest! ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I found that being one of the late slots on the 100 way base for the Arizona 300 way was a refreshing challenge. Not only were you going out of the 2nd left trail Otter with a blind turn to the formation but every time we got on the ground our sector captain said "nice job but we have to go faster". We were pushed to go faster and faster on every jump knowing that the other 200 people could not begin to dock until we were docked. We also had to dampen any waves that inevitably come through that size formation.
I really enjoyed pushing the speed approaches on those jumps.
I think it was much more challenging than being on the outer row of the Chicago record attempts.
Just my opinion though.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I only have 20 or so 23+ way jumps...

But I remember my hardest.

The base was an 8 way chunk out of the skyvan.

I was front float on the trailing plane, and I docked on the base, and a dozen people docked onto a chain off my legs who came from both planes. I was like that pin that links the engine to the transmission, lots of parts on both sides useless without me.

I had to:

1) Get to the base quickly.

2) Not get in the way of those who were trying to get in and line up to take my legs.

3) Be there.

I felt huge pressure, and since people who dived out of the skyvan were at the base almost instantly, I felt like a kid in a china shop navigating thru the traffic.

But, I would not trade that slot for the world, as I got to do something hard. The anchors on the base are my favorite slots, and Airspeed always puts me there when they organize the holiday boogies, so maybe it is karma.:P