ltdiver

2007 USPA Nationals!

Interesting. Jan's Omnibit's Page gives this explanation of the 20% Rule:

"4:30
A lot of people are asking what the 20% rule is. Basically, it says if the video does not show the exit, so the judges know when to start the clock, your score is reduced by 20% of the points that are shown in the video. They sort of guess when to start the clock. It's in the IPC rules. It took the judges awhile to find the rule for the competitors that asked about. They knew the rule cold. "

Interesting. So, an IPC rule can be adopted at a USPA event, even though it's not in our Competition Manual...:|

I understand a judge's frustration over not being able to know when to start the clock, however shouldn't this be adopted, in written form, in the USPA manual to be able to invoke it here? Remember when the "One Round Rule" was written into the IPC Comp. Manual, and USPA had to write it in theirs to use it? :P

ltdiver

I was wondering about that, too. All I could find in the USPA manual is in the general rules, which say

3. In a case where part of a team’s performance is
not judgeable from lack of video evidence, or
where the quality of video image is considered
insufficient for judging purposes, the Video
Review Panel will assess the conditions and
circumstances and may award a re-jump.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Interesting. Jan's Omnibit's Page gives this explanation of the 20% Rule:

"4:30
A lot of people are asking what the 20% rule is. Basically, it says if the video does not show the exit, so the judges know when to start the clock, your score is reduced by 20% of the points that are shown in the video. They sort of guess when to start the clock. It's in the IPC rules. It took the judges awhile to find the rule for the competitors that asked about. They knew the rule cold. "

Interesting. So, an IPC rule can be adopted at a USPA event, even though it's not in our Competition Manual...:|

I understand a judge's frustration over not being able to know when to start the clock, however shouldn't this be adopted, in written form, in the USPA manual to be able to invoke it here? Remember when the "One Round Rule" was written into the IPC Comp. Manual, and USPA had to write it in theirs to use it? :P

ltdiver

I was wondering about that, too. All I could find in the USPA manual is in the general rules, which say

3. In a case where part of a team’s performance is
not judgeable from lack of video evidence, or
where the quality of video image is considered
insufficient for judging purposes, the Video
Review Panel will assess the conditions and
circumstances and may award a re-jump.

In addition, there is no place in the USPA Comp Manual which states we can revert(?) to the IPC Manual for the rules. :P If they had at least written that in our rule book...:P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Just saw the Intermediate teams dirt dive Round 10 (SDC's webcam). So, we're almost there! :)
I'm pretty excited about the Advanced Medal Race! :o Two Perris Teams are duking it out!! B|

Perris Katalyst and Perris Aftermath (which used to be "Perris Storm" in previous years)! This is going to be great! (sitting down, here, with a cup of coffee to enjoy the show...)

Hey, John! What's up with that beard!

ltdiver

Wow! Look at Aftermath's Round 6! They got a re-jump (per Tim on Omnibits)! The plane was banking on that round, during their exit. They got a 12 yesterday. They were allowed a re-jump today! They got a 15 and took over the lead in Advanced! :o:D I

I can only imagine the feelings swirling around this one!

Now waiting for Aftermath's Round 9 scores...(taking another sip of the coffee, here...) :)
ltdiver

CK Air Pollution and AF Ascent will jumpoff for Intermediate gold medals! How exciting!

I wish there were more details posted in onmibits.

Woah! Intermediate 4-way Scores. This what I like....B|

And if they tie Round 11? :P

They're still teasing us with Advanced Scores. Come on! What's Round 10 for the top two? :D

ltdiver

And if they tie Round 11?

If they tie in round 11 CK gets the gold.

Yep. :^)

And for those of you reading here, who wonder how this can be...
See attachment for the breakdown of the competition rules on this subject. Several World Championships have come down to the final rule, and wow is it exciting when this happens! :)
From the .pdf find here: http://uspa.org/publications/manuals.pdf/2007_SCM_1-5.pdf

ltdiver

Thanks for the congratulations ltdiver!

We're happy that the rejump ultimately didn't change the final standings - it was a tough decision to take it regardless!

Bill Morrison
Perris Aftermath

B| Did you know that Aftermath tied with the Open team, AZ Divewerks. :)

http://skyleague.com/pages/scores/index.php

ltdiver

congrats to the old storm crew - well deserved. Ok now on to 8-way. For those watching at home - of the top 3 8-way teams, is any of them interested in the World Meet Bid? Given the 75% rule to get sanctioned by USPA, this would appear unlikely -

discuss.

Steve - GT

Tim Wagner wrote this on his Omnibits page:

The buzz is (and this is just buzz, not anything official) that if Airspeed wins 8-way, they will not be going to the World Meet. Knight Trax, though, appears to be all about going, and I think they would easily make the 75% rule.

http://www.omniskore.com/comp/2007/usnats/tim070910.asp
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

CSC Rhythm had an awesome time, and was proud to post their highest score ever, by a wide margin. We are thrilled with our 3rd place advanced finish, even if we couldn't take away any hardware.

Big props to Perris Aftermath and Katalyst who kicked our butts, and also to CK Vision, who did an awesome job and earned their spot on the podium.

This year was my first nationals, and I had the most fun I can remember. I performed at my best, and my team did as well. We all did the best skydiving of our lives.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Skydive Chicago did an absolute great job at hosting the Nationals! As good as 2002...

Did? Is it over already? ;) Did the wind and clouds scare everyone away? :P

So, what's the story with 8-way? Is it over after 5 rounds? Are they going on to 10-way tomorrow? Or trying to complete 8-way first?

ltdiver

Monday was cloudy and rainy. Got 3 rounds in before the weather got really bad. Tuesday was clear and sunny - and windy. Got 2 rounds in before it got too windy to put intermediate up, then they shut down a few minutes later completely.* We were annoyed that they were only running 2 otters, but we figure they wanted to guarantee 1 hour between loads. (We'd have been happy with 20 minutes.)

Today we've done one round so far, and the WX looks good for doing the final 4. But it is freezing. Was 38F on the ground this morning - and I didn't bring cold weather layers. Supposed to get to 65 today though.

(* - wind limits are 9 m/s for intermediate, 11 m/s for advanced/open.)

38F on the ground this morning -

And here I was envying you guys having all the fun over there this week. :)
(lori, sitting here in Napa, CA, sipping coffee and basking in the warm sunshine...:P)

Good luck with finishing 8-way today! Go Perris teams! B|

ltdiver

Update -

Perris Activ8 took bronze in intermediate 8-way after a jumpoff against Cross Keys TFR. We (Ubersmack) didn't do as well as we had hoped after losing our outside rear to an injury during 4-way, but it was still a fun competition. 16 way starts tomorrow. Hopefully we can finish in a day; Fri is predicted to be rainy and cold (again.)

Update -

Perris Activ8 took bronze in intermediate 8-way after a jumpoff against Cross Keys TFR. We (Ubersmack) didn't do as well as we had hoped after losing our outside rear to an injury during 4-way, but it was still a fun competition. 16 way starts tomorrow. Hopefully we can finish in a day; Fri is predicted to be rainy and cold (again.)

Yeah, Active8!! B|:D A jump off, even! :)
Sorry about Ubersmack. But when a tail gets hurt...well, you know...:P Who was injured in 4-way?

So, 16-way tomorrow. Are they going to be able to get 10-way in after that, with the weather and all coming in? I'm thinking that SDC has put together some world class teams again...

ltdiver

Skydive Chicago did an absolute great job at hosting the Nationals! As good as 2002...

You're not kidding! I'm so impressed with Skydive Chicago's staff, facilities, locals & the never-ending supply of Absolut Mandrin at the tiki bar!

What really caught my eye during the frenzy of 4-way was that the tandems & students were still looked after professionally and the instructors took the time to explain what was going on. You could literally watch some of them get The Disease!