siddacious

Going from normal to mega booties?

In getting reading to order a jumpsuit, I was told by the maker that he didn't want to make me a suit with Mega booties, given my low number of jumps. I agree that they would most likely be a bit much for me, but I can't help wonder when (in terms of jump numbers and skill sets) it makes sense to start looking at upgrading to mega's.

Anyone? Anyone?
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

Good answer;)

Once you switch to booties, you'l never go back, and once you switch to mega's you'll never go back!! And once you switch to the new ballistic materials, your whole life turns upside down!!! I love that new ballistic material.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

In a spate of 'I've got new kit and want to use it now' over common sense I got my new jumpsuit with mega air blast go faster booties last year and went straight in the wind tunnel with other people before I'd even jumped it. The power and control differences are quite amazing and not to be taken lightly, I parallel it to driving - I can drive perfectly well and drive my 4x4 around the country as if it was a sports car (working hard with normal booties on) but if I got in a Porshe (mega booties) and started thrashing it around in the same way with out additional coaching or attention I would end up wrapping it around a tree (or bouncing off the tunnel wall repeatedly).
As GQ says, once you have them you'll never want to put the old suit on again - but do be careful with them
The CLF

On break off turn and track as far and as fast as possible....
Because not only your life depends on it but so does mine!!

I found that with mega booties I needed to add 4lbs of lead to keep the same fall rate I had before. Especially on big-ways (which I tend to do more than say 4-way) I was getting lots of lift when sticking out my legs to settle tension in a loop, creating a different problem for the formation. I'm now getting that suit changed back to normal booties.

Mind you - never tried the suit with mega booties in the tunnel, so perhaps I just didn't learn how to fly them properly:$.

I have 2 other suits without mega booties, so decided it was easiest to have all three suits the same and not one with and two without mega booties.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

but do be careful with them

Good point, thanx for bringing that one up, I should've mentioned, the first time I flew the ballistic materials I felt like I had to completely relearn how to fly. A little solo time in the tunnel will make a huge difference with any new jumpsuit

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I'm sure I'll love learning to fly the hell out of my normal booties (wee Tetris!). I like criticalLf's car metphor. My normal booties will I guess equate to my GTI. It's slow as hell but a hell of a lot more fun to drive than most cars.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

Quick answer, when you can effectively fly regular booties and they are not getting you where you want to go, when you want to be there, then, upgrade to mega's, but only if you really have to have them.

I'm from a different school. Get the biggest and most powerful booties you can find. Baby steps makes a lot of sense in canopy downsizing and car driving, but booties aren't in that camp.

Then learn to fly them. Tunnel helps a ton.

Why buy a suit and then have to go buy another one in the season? It's good for the suit manufacturer, I guess, they get to sell you two suits.

And a bootie rebuild isn't cheap either in most cases.

I'd advise it more like helmuts - try them on (borrow from a friend your size and try them for a weekend). If the skydiver can try out the mega booties and decide if they just plain don't scare the hell out of him, then he's likely ready to get them and spend a bit of time learning how to use them.

Edit - Innocent mockery here = "You should only upsize your booties when you've achieved certain skill requirements on your current bootie situation whether it's no booties, recreation booties or 'shoe covers', normal booties, mega booties, and finally super-finish-monster-booster-booties. And then only upsize one bootie step at a time. It's to much power and we don't want you to hurt yourself or others. Don't be in a hurry to skip the experience needed to jump to the monstboostboots. Heck even the pros had a learning curve"

see? it's just a way for RW'ers to feel macho and cutting edge like the swoopers do

I can just see posts with 'know it all' newbiew skipping straight to the monstboostboots saying "yeah, other guys have to take it just a step at a time, but I'M DIFFERENT, I'm a NATURAL" and we can all roll our eyes and take bets on when he'll just wrap his feet around his throat while doing a monster snap turn - since then becoming the number one cause of skydiving fatalities.

USPA can issue bootie progression guidlines

etc ad nauseum

:P:P:P:P:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think the BPA have already set up a working group to discuss the implications on insurance and are considering putting a 200 jump limit on the wearing of booties ;);)
The CLF

On break off turn and track as far and as fast as possible....
Because not only your life depends on it but so does mine!!

LOL!

You should only upsize your booties when you've achieved certain skill requirements on your current bootie situation whether it's no booties, recreation booties or 'shoe covers', normal booties, mega booties, and finally super-finish-monster-booster-booties. And then only upsize one bootie step at a time. ... we can all roll our eyes and take bets on when he'll just wrap his feet around his throat while doing a monster snap turn - since then becoming the number one cause of skydiving fatalities.

Maybe they should set up rules allowing beginners to upsize only one bootie at a time? Sure they may be a bit unbalanced, but if the one monster turbo bootie threatens to overpower said newbie, s/he can follow emergency procedures as laid out in the new guidelines and snap the uber bootie out of the airflow, relying if you will on the single 'shoe cover' (or no bootie) for minimal but *safe* control?

At the very least all upsizing should be done with 2 qualified AFF instructors on hand to deal with emergencies. I just don't want to see this potential 'hook turn issue' for the new millenium take more lives...Be safe out there people. :|:|

I'd go for the mega booties straight from the start.

You don't need to 'wear' or use them straight away... you can do your RW / FS coaching without by tucking them inside themselves. (Maybe use a bit of gaffer tape)

Maybe try bringing them into play on a coached tunnel session. You'll never go back to 'shoelace covers' after that.

That said, to my mind, if you're unlikely to go back, you should try to use then from the start (under instruction if you're really at the novice stage)

Now, if I was sceptical, I would say that the manufacturer wants you to buy one suit now - and another next year. But I'm not, so I won't.
-----------------------
Connextion: British 8 Way Team
www.bodyflight.co.uk
-----------------------

Now, if I was sceptical, I would say that the manufacturer wants you to buy one suit now - and another next year. But I'm not, so I won't.

I would have said that if he said get "no booties" now and booties later. (In this case, he might actually sincerely feel that you ease into the Megas).

Also, If he got just standard size booties now, he might not have as much desire to get the second suit.

It's unclear what was advised for the first suit in the original post - no booties or regular booties.

My wife has delivered about 20 suits in the last few months to newer people (i mean less than 100 jumps) - all with full sized booties. Only one old timer (who had several hundred jumps) seemed uncomfortable with the extra energy and I took him up a couple times to work on it - he just couldn't bring himself to get them into the wind, only tentative, so he was a bit 'twitchy'. The others have been more than a little bit jazzed - all comment on the tracking boost and those I've taken up to work on knee turns get "BIG EYES" when they do it the first time.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

My wife has delivered about 20 suits in the last few months to newer people (i mean less than 100 jumps) - all with full sized booties. Only one old timer (who had several hundred jumps) seemed uncomfortable with the extra energy and I took him up a couple times to work on it - he just couldn't bring himself to get them into the wind, only tentative, so he was a bit 'twitchy'. The others have been more than a little bit jazzed - all comment on the tracking boost and those I've taken up to work on knee turns get "BIG EYES" when they do it the first time.

I am one of those newer people and I absolutely love the larger booties. Thank your wife again for me!
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

To be honest with you, there is not a big issue. I had had about 60 jumps with normal booties and then got mega booties. The first jump I did I funnelled the exit, but subsequent exits afterwards, I was stable. Basicsally, as there is more material that causes more lift, you have to compensate for it. I learnt that after that jump after asking the dz instructors.

What you learnt in your Cat 10 (or whatever the new UK qualification is) should give you awareness of flying your body.

Mega booties are not going to kill you,

Kirk, what is your view?

Liz

To clarify, the suitmaker said that he wanted to put "normal booties" on my suit, given my jump numbers. Admittedly they could be just doing this so I get a new suit in a while, but I'm inclined to believe not since they're known (from reviews and posts in this forum) to make very high quality suits and have excellent coustomer service. But damnit, I cant help but want megas. That said, getting another suit in a year or two wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm sure they are sincere. It's classy crowd.
Either way, you will be happy with good booties vs no booties.
Make sure they fit nice and gather the air well (think of a picture of a sail on a boat fully 'bellying' out and firm). Sometimes they can be loose.