druspork

UK Nationals

4 days left.

What's everybody been up to? Who are the new teams to watch out for (teams we haven't yet seen at the GPs)?

Will the weather hold? Will it be bigger than last year? Will the new A and AA categories work? Will our novice division out point all the others (again)?

Can the girls a) win AAA and b) beat their 19?

See you all in Hib on Friday.

Dru

Airkix are going to be awesome. It looks like there are quite a few teams that will be competing for the other medals in A too - Rage, Army, Boogie Pimps, Havoc etc.

I'm sure AA will be just as tough, what with that Damn Zebra team competing!

Counting down the hours until I get out of work today so can get up there.

Caroline
(Bodyflight Storm)

You Girls (Bodyflight Storm) were looking pretty awesome in the tunnel last night. I think weather permitting the nationals are going to be great fun both from a competitors' perspective and an observers' one.

Let's pray to the weather gods that it doesn't come down to who can drink the most tea in 35 seconds!!

Weather update from Hib - thunder and lightening through the night, lots of rainfall and a tornado in Lincolnshire yesterday. Rain eased off for now but its white skies only. Flash floods forecast, but we'res till hopeful....[:/]

Thats the British spirit!

The results are out - not our biggest nationals but not too shabby given the dodgy conditions. The predictions that the UK may not manage 4 divisions proved nonsense. There was a really good spread of teams in each division.

The "Bodyflight Squad" are certainly making impressions. The debate over our top novice teams is set to continue - the guys responded to the criticism with even greater performances. Bodyflight Frenzy look distinctly like a younger version of Hyabusa.

In "AA" congrats to Bodyflight Storm. On the international scene I see a couple of teams from the Ranch sqeezed in behind them - well done guys.

Wingnuts were clear gold in "A". There was a Fantastic jump-off for silver - this held the comp results up for an hour, a planned "AAA" big way was dropped in preference to the more important jump off. It got everybodies attention. 4-Fit clutched the solitary extra point (Otherwise Escondido would have had silver on a count back).

Simply amazing to have it finished without needing the extra weather weekend.

Congrats to Airkix by the way!

Dru

Yeah - just to back up all that Dru said really!

Great meet - and what an awesome operation Hib is once the clouds part - 96 lifts in 9 and a bit hours - that is truely a skydiving monster machine in operation.

congrats to all medallists. Special shout out to Bodyflight Rage managing a great meet with a last minute alternate. Hell of a way to have to compete at Nationals following a huge commitment of nearly 10 months hard training and a collosal training bill, so well done guys!

Oh - and Escondido Rock! (Nice jump off guys - shame to be pipped, but it made great TV!!)
www.southparc.co.uk

All female national Champions in the UK. Females standing with a Gold and a Bronze at the World Meet in 4way, and a Silver in 8way.

Way to go chickas!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

you aren't going to re-start the whole 'we don't need an all female category' debate again are you Ron?:P

tash

I believe the point was "women won't clear to top team averages.....) They hit 19 this year at world. give Airkix one more year.

Is 20 a good enough demarkation? Or even a 20 Plus a top 3 finish? For some, it'll never count unless there's four women wearing open gold at one time....

I don't see a disjoint with saying a female category is a good thing to have, while also saying that women can be just as good, just as fast, etc. in this sport.

In other words, having a women's only category is not necessarily an admission of inferior potential......

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

you aren't going to re-start the whole 'we don't need an all female category' debate again are you Ron?:P

Not yet :ph34r:

But can't a guy just be happy that some folks who normally smell better than the norm, and defiantly look better, are standing on the podium?

But since you brough it up...........

Never mind:D
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I think a really in depth discussion has to happen on all female teams in the female category being required to use AADs and RSLs having player coaches in the rookie category.

I mean, what can go wrong.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think a really in depth discussion has to happen on all female teams in the female category being required to use AADs and RSLs having player coaches in the rookie category.

I mean, what can go wrong.

Hold that thought - we seem to do so well in the UK at irritating... never know your luck.

I really hope that Airkix keep on kicking. Their original goals were pretty much just totally obliterated with their performance this year. If they have the energy to keep it going.... and add the Bodyflight Squadies (that project just has to gain attention outside of the UK sooner or later), and maybe interesting things are happening here in UK 4w.

It's so cool to watch. :ph34r:

Dru

Airkix did awesome and kicked ass and they will be interesting to watch if they decide to take on a further 2 year committment.

WITHOUT TAKING ANYTHING AWAY FROM THE WINNERS IN RW IN GERA, that meet did not give a true average for the teams as the full complement of rounds was not completed.

One question is (and please do not flame me as I am only using the unique situation where an all female team are the National Champions (and very much deserved!!!!)):

In the Open 4-way, Fire scored an average of 23.4 after 5 rounds and won. Airkix scored a 19.1 after 5 rounds and won. Over 10 rounds, it would be fitting to take off 1 or 2 points for a true score for all teams.

If this year's UK Nationals was a qualifying year for a World Championship, would Airkix represent the UK in the Open Class for the upcoming World's or would they be asked to go into the Women's Class? I only ask this as going into the Women's Class would guarantee a podium finish (most probably gold) rather than going into the Open Class where a podium finish would be unlikely.

Anyway, Congrats to Airkix and Fire for being Gold Medallists.

Liz

Fire's last 2 meets had them posting a 23. And the French women did a 17.8 at the World Meet, whereas the meet they did before that had them posting an 18. So while it is obvious that the World Meet only had 5 rounds I 'm not convinced on your 'true average' theory, or the point of it.

Unless you think the French women are a 15.8 average team?

ver 10 rounds, it would be fitting to take off 1 or 2 points for a true score for all teams.

look at the draw - the last 5 rounds are about equal to the first 5 in net

by round 1st five (4, 1, 3, 2, 5)
by round 2nd 5 (6, 10, 8, 9, 7)

rounds 5/2/3 are pretty fast, so are 7 and 9
round 1 is medium, so is 8 and 10
round 4 is comparable to 6 (roughly speaking) having block 13 more than makes up for single random

just guesses here, I'm better at guessing this with my own team than the pros, but knocking off a couple points just complete 5 rounds to 10 doesn't make much sense as a general comment vs just examining the draw directly

It wasn't a qualifying year. But if it had been then my take is that Airkix would have (lots of hypotheticals here) qualified to represent the UK in BOTH womens And open. It would surely be their call which they went for. To do both at the same time might be seen as getting greedy!

Gera produced challenges with how we read the scores, but Rehmwa is closer to it than an across the board reduction of 2 points.

Dru

I am new to the forum but I can't quite believe the posts regarding Airkix. I am intrigued to find out why there would be negative discussions regarding an all female team.

Does anyone know of another sport where women and men compete against each other for the same Gold Medal? I can't think of one?

The Olympics has never seen men and women compete in the same competition (I believe) so why should the World Meet?

Airkix have worked extremely hard to achieve everything they set out for. It would be much more gracious to give them the recognition and support they so deserve. Whether or not to go into the Open category is their decision and it really shouldn't matter either way.

I have no doubt if they do, they are HIGHLY LIKELY to get a podium finish, why else would they do it?

I am very interested to understand the rationale behind this issue.