sundevil777

Loop cutaway handles

Somewhat related to the soft reserve handle discussion, where some advantages of the loop cutaway handle were noted.

I like this setup for the ordinary belly flying I do. If I did any freeflying with people who like to grab harnesses, I'd change it back to the pillow cutaway with a smaller metal reserve handle (actually I've already decided to get a smaller handle for my next repack).

The loop has a nice stiffener in it, and does not seem vulnerable to rolling under the lift web.

By the way, what was the advantage of the old "blast" handles. What possible merit did a flopping around handle that had to be pulled straight offer? I can't remember anybody with a reason why they had them, except that it was bought used?

What do you think?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

loop cutaway handle.jpg

Except for the large size of that Loop, I really like it. I've seen a few well known Freeflyers using a similar loop for both Cutaway and reserve. The loop profile was different more like the lame picture I just drew.

It allowed it to lay flatter and still be able to grab easy.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Handle.bmp

Throw away your handle on purpose? Why?

He obviously has too much money, or knows someone who's really good at canopy control, and very aware who's gonna follow his handle down.:)

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

To nervous to think better? hey am still a newbie with 81 jumps. ;)

Most prolly is that I will keep them but I can't tell for sure, when I get my first cutaway I'll post my reaction.

Funny you should say that. I always wondered what would happen. I always practiced NOT throwing my handles. When I FINALLY had my first cutaway, one of the first thouhgts was,"hey .. I still have my handles" :)

No flamage here, you'll either keep em or you won't.

C-ya

Throw away your handle on purpose? Why?

He obviously has too much money, or knows someone who's really good at canopy control, and very aware who's gonna follow his handle down.:)

:D:Dfunny:ph34r::ph34r:

When I FINALLY had my first cutaway, one of the first thouhgts was,"hey .. I still have my handles" :)

I had the same experiance, when I had my reserve ride (to early in my carreer). Glad that you're under a open canopy, and the surprize that you still have your handles. In stressfull moments, people tend to hold on to the things they grab ;)
Don't underestimate your ability to screw up!

I held on to mine too.... I was trained to look at my handles grab right grab left pull right pull left, arch. The whole time I was looking at my handles, I'm arching looking at my handles thinking what is taking my reserve so long. Oh, it's over my head.....:P landed with my handles still in my hands. Didn't realize it until after I landed that I never even bothered to stow them in my jumpsuit.

Fly it like you stole it!

When I'm cutting away I'm throwing my cutaway handle!

Why???

1. At 1500' without a working canopy, the cost of a new handle is not my biggest problem.

2. Fumbeling with getting a grip on the reserve handle because I'm holding on to my cutaway handle is not on my list of things I want to experience.

Just my $.02 ...

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

When I'm cutting away I'm throwing my cutaway handle!

This would indicate you train to throw them away. In reality most people don't intentionally train to hold on to their handles. They just don't train to throw them. Also, I've never used 2 hands to pull the reserve.The first cutaway was an easy one. The handles just happened to be in my hands.However, 2 hands for the cutaway?...Oh yeah... that's happened,... no choice. Once back in freefall it was back to normal. Sure enough, Still had the handles. At the time it was not a conscious effort to keep them. That seems to be how it goes the first time or two. You keep them or you don't.

Cheers

Sorry nor to get off track, it all sounds fine. But about the loop handles, they seem nice in concept, I just don't know if the loops handle(s) make it easier to hold onto them after deployment, allowing digital dexterity or more clumsy in access in a wierd main web configuration?

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

Seriously, no prob!!

I really am wondering though, since I like the low-profile design but I'm wondering about accessiblity (which has been heard to get dis-combubulated in a harness twist; and no personal experience); what about this 'soft' web style handle v pillow?... note: of course on the cut-away side in the pic, but how about both sides?

btw, another thing I like about it is that it would seem easier to hold on to after cut-away. :)

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

I don't really want to get too far off track.

The people using them were extremely accomlished skydivers. Sponsored Athletes. They already had multiple cutaways, and flying to them is like walking. They had that handle for both cutaway and reserve. I don't know who else ever had them on both sides.

I liked the handles. But Really couldn't say they are a great Idea for all people. If sundevil777 wanted to keep the same kind of handle I was just showing the difference.

Cheers.

after cutting away the first thing I want to do is drop the cutaway handle

I know someone that tossed their cutaway handle and pulled their reserve only to look up and see the slider of the reserv epushing the cutaway cables down the lines. Fortunately the cables were below the cascades or they could have mal'd his reserve.

Hook

"The people using them were extremely accomlished skydivers. Sponsored Athletes."
Hmm dunno about that, but here's some thoughts on looped cutaway handles.....
Heavier wing loadings increase cutaway forces, so increased effort is required to execute a successful cutaway.
Mini risers also increase the required cutaway force.
Higher performance canopies can malfunction more violently, again increasing cutaway force.
Heavy gloves decrease the amount of grip available on a pad, and hence 'available' cutaway force is reduced.

I jump a medium loaded (1.6 ish), medium performance canopy (spectre), all year round in a cold climate (Scotland), I have minirisers and weigh 200lbs+
I choose to have a looped cutaway handle, but my choice of equipment may not be driven by the same factors as other people's.
I also have riser inserts in case I get wound up risers during a mal.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

This is exactly the reason I use a soft loop for my cutaway. I wingload a Xaos 2.15 and have shitty tendonitis in both hands. I just don't have much faith in my limited tactile sense to grab and peel a pillow while I am getting spun around. I just wanna be able to hook a thumb and make it go away.

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

"The people using them were extremely accomlished skydivers. Sponsored Athletes."
Hmm dunno about that, but here's some thoughts on looped cutaway handles.....

(interesting verbage. If you ever see Orly, ask him about loops on both sides. No Idea if he still uses them)

Any way, looped cutaway I've seen several times.

The looped Reserve handle I've only seen a few times. 2 were on sponsored skydivers ( Once you're sponsored, you're called an "athlete" and some deserve to be called as such) I haven't seen em since, but I thought they were cool.

It was mentioned in an above post made by sarge, Why not use the loop on the reserve as well

From sarge<<<...what about this 'soft' web style handle v pillow?... note: of course on the cut-away side in the pic, but how about both sides?
...>>>. End

Who's gonna make it? Some one did but I have some doubts it was the factory.

Nice reminder about high pull forces and preventative measures.

They just don't train to throw them.

I don't see a huge problem with keeping them, but I will add that where I took AFF, I *was* trained to throw away the handles. I don't know the rationale of the DZO that told me to do that - he just said "you don't need them". After my real-life cutaway, they were gone.

Attached is a photo of my loop cut-away handle. A senior rigger made it for me after my cutaway (he asked first before replacing my pillow, of course). I like it - it's very stiff, has very little bulk or surface area - it lies flat next to my side. You have to really intend to grab it to do so, and you can also put a thumb in it if you want to.

cutaway.jpg

"The looped Reserve handle I've only seen a few times. 2 were on sponsored skydivers ( Once you're sponsored, you're called an "athlete" and some deserve to be called as such) I haven't seen em since, but I thought they were cool."

Standard options on Javelins....No professionalism, or athlete status (thank heaven..:)) required.....

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Really?

Damn.. Where the heck have I been... Oh well I haven't traveled around in a couple years and no one jumps them here... Woops. My bad.

Guess I'll down load an order form and get current.:$ Oh well

yo nacmacfeegle

I just downloaded an Order form. Looped release handle, Yes, that's common, I wasn't questioning that.

Loop reserve handle isn't on there. Perhaps it's a "Custom" ..standard option? Now you got me curious and want to see where I missed it. Heck it's not like I haven't put my foot in my mouth before :P (not literally)

Where do you see them as a Standard option? (I'll call Sunpath at some point just out of curiosity)

They were tiny'-ish handles, They stuck out just like that diagram I made.