jumpjunkie2004

Learning Blocks

I did my first blocks this weekend. I didn't know that's what they were called until we landed and I asked one of the guys to tell me what I should write in my log book. I felt like an idiot.

Pete Allum will be at our DZ on Thursday and Friday. He is coaching all skill levels - thank goodness because I'm on the bottom rung of the skill level ladder.

I'm excited about this opportunity, but I was wondering if there was a list of blocks for beginners that I should study.

Any suggestions?
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

The best thing for you would be to get as much tunnel time as possible and focus on simple 2-way and then 4-way RANDOM dives. The blocks can wait until you build a solid basic foundation. It is ok do try a block just for fun (presuming you will be on 4-way with three other people who know what they are doing) but it does not make any sense to focus on trying to master the blocks when you have 40 jumps.

I have some tunnel time - just 45 minutes. My last jump was a four way from 10,500. We launched out of a Cessna 206. Held our exit together and managed to get five points before I turned away at 4,500. We did a block called zigzag-zigzag and another one they called a round-round.

I just don't want to show up on Thursday and know absolutely nothing. I hear the lingo - zipper - cat - accordion, etc. It would be nice to have a visual reference.

I don't expect to master anything anytime soon.

AMax just gave some awesome advice on how to start out, I still do pretty much nothing but two way drill dives and I'm constantly seeing improvement. but if you do just want to have fun on a jump my favorite block is 6, its easy and fun.

good luck
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Come get additional tunnel coaching from Pete at TFTC on October 14th 2005. You can support boobies and learn even more from a world class flyer.

i've never flown with Pete but am hoping he'll get in there with me for a little fun :)
Come out and double your freefall time in a day or so ;)

Side note: I should be at Z-hills this weekend trying to sell some raffle tix for TFTC, great prizes listed here. Maybe we can meet up if you are going to be out there? I always like to say hi to .comers and have a drink (well I usually do more than 'a' drink:D). Hope to see you out there.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I just don't want to show up on Thursday and know absolutely nothing. I hear the lingo - zipper - cat - accordion, etc. It would be nice to have a visual reference.

You are over thinking this.....Again.

Relax, no one expects you to know more than you do. Homework is good, but don't drive yourself nuts.

That being said it would be MUCH better for you to NOT know any blocks than have the wrong idea about them from well intended but incorrect self study.

If you choose to go down this path.....Get a DVD such as Majics one. from the NSL.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

You are over thinking this.....Again.

Guilty as charged.

no one expects you to know more than you do.

I know that, but it would be nice to know a little more than I know now.

don't drive yourself nuts.

Impossible. I'm already crazy :S

So, it's better for a coach to have a blank slate?

If you choose to go down this path.....Get a DVD such as Majics one. from the NSL.

The knights also put one out, all you have to pay for is shipping, the NSL website has em.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

The knights also put one out, all you have to pay for is shipping, the NSL website has em.

Magics is a DVD that is MUCH easier to navigate.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I know that, but it would be nice to know a little more than I know now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

don't drive yourself nuts.

Impossible. I'm already crazy

So, it's better for a coach to have a blank slate?

It is better to have a blank slate and for you to get GOOD advice instead of getting bad advice and then having to relearn it.

Imagine if you were first taught to pull your handles left then right? Then you were later told right/left.

Which do you think would be more likely to happen when you are under stress?

People rarely ever think about how much physical and emotional stress you are under while in freefall...Most do not think they are affected. But honestly I think they are way wrong.

Try jumping with a heart rate monitor some time and look at the results.

So, it is better for the first bit of information you get to be correct, rather than just trying to make it up yourself.

Plus you HAVE the availability of good instruction...It would be way different if you were in Timbucktu, WA. Without any guidance available.

junkie - Gotta agree that learning the techniques correctly up front is best.

This year we got some great advice from DBC and Solly W and changed a handful of blocks. The difference in performance over our old techniques was like night vs day.

Even if you can make the change and relearn better than most, getting it right the first time is a lot like learning mantis at jump 20 vs at jump 2000. It's just easier to absorb.

Don't worry, once you get a couple of them right, the rest are very similar in concept - get the middle and end pictures right, focus on the finish-not the start, stay 'soft' - and the rest will go fine. edit: the advice here is get someone like Ron to show you two or three of the standards (like 6, 11, 21 at a minimum) so you get the concept correct. Then when you figure it out, you can get the details on other blocks from a him or another good coach and build on the basics you've learned. Best? get a bit of coaching on all the blocks...

Your score will still rely mostly on random work - even an all block draw is 50% random moves/50% inters - and the ratio goes up as you add randoms - and the same rules apply - precision, stillness, clean stops. I love blocks, but, even so, we get excited when we get an all random draw - because it's great fun and even better training.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

the advice here is get someone like Ron to show you two or three of the standards (like 6, 11, 21 at a minimum) so you get the concept correct. Then when you figure it out, you can get the details on other blocks from a good coach and build on the basics you've learned. Best? get a bit of coaching on all the blocks...

Ouch! B|

AMax just gave some awesome advice on how to start out, I still do pretty much nothing but two way drill dives and I'm constantly seeing improvement. but if you do just want to have fun on a jump my favorite block is 6, its easy and fun.

I have only 200 jumps (so take my post with a grain of salt), but I agree with everyone else that says that it's best to work on 2-way skill building jumps with an experienced jumper or coach for a while. Personally, I learned the mantis on jump 32. Like GQ_Jumper, I also did almost nothing, but 2-ways for a VERY long time (until jump 109 or so) because I wanted to perfect my flying skills. Transitioning into 4-ways was very natural after that kind-of training, as well as following it up with an Airspeed camp.

Zigzag marquis, Block 21, was my first block. :)

Ouch! B|

Hurts don't it?:P

(Fixed it for you - "another" good coach. I mean you did say you were moving away)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I mean you did say you were moving away

Yes, but I never said to where...I don't want to encounter roadblocks;)

Yup, found some real cheap real estate in the Mississippi river delta did ya?

edit: seriously, if you end up near a tunnel somewhere, let me know. The crew up here really appreciates your coaching style.

Yup, found some real cheap real estate in the Mississippi river delta did ya?

Yep it said "Beach front/side/back" :P

edit: seriously, if you end up near a tunnel somewhere, let me know. The crew up here really appreciates your coaching style.

Since when do I have to be close to a tunnel? If you can travel, so can I. I enjoy coaching, and I like hanging out with you guys. My one hour here and there stuff is gonna have to end, but I still plan on doing camps.