jumpjunkie2004

Learning Blocks

Thread hijackers...;)

Sorry - errr.. ummmm

start with the double vertical on photon-photon. Just try it and don't ask anyone how - maybe first half the front piece goes over and the second half the back piece goes over. Eventually you'll get it.

or not

send video of the first 23 attempts

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Zigzag marquis, Block 21, was my first block.

that was my first block too!!:D it's one of my favorites, even though i wasn't doing it very well at my competition this weekend:S, we still pulled a 9 average though and took first so i guess i can't complain!!

2 ways can teach you a lot about 4 way discipline though, you just need to know what it takes to do 4 way and apply it to 2 ways, ie, eye contact, levels, not relaxing once you take grips, stops, building the picture before taking grips. you can get all that down with 2 ways and then 4 way is just nothing more than adding a few more grips to the picture.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

t it does not make any sense to focus on trying to master the blocks when you have 40 jumps.

What you say makes sense, but I disagree. I also disagree when people say that new jumpers should not wear booties.

Learn as much as you can at an early stage. Every comp. you do will have blocks in it. What fun is it to go out and do good randoms then lose the dive as soon as you put a block in it.

The first part of a block is a random. Practice it all at the same time. Learn the techniques early. Maybe not vertical right away, but learn them. They are fun!

IMHO it is better to learn them early on.
Dom

start with the double vertical on photon-photon. Just try it and don't ask anyone how - maybe first half the front piece goes over and the second half the back piece goes over. Eventually you'll get it.

You are a mean man!!!!! Make sure to tell them to wear helmets and have an AAD turned on!:D:D I remember one time at Skydiving camp we .......... well there was no blood!
Dom

We tried that in the tunnel with 3 belly fliers and one guy on his head. It scared the guy on his head and he jumped out of the tunnel after the 2nd one. He was even paying for the time. CHICKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dom its amazing how much we have in common, I did a 21 this weekend with one of the centers was on her head(and back, then head again then.....) during the inter, only difference between us was you did it on purpose:P

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was OC, of course I had more fun, that's what OC's do

damn straight

See rehm is with me, but Dom wouldn't uderstand, he's nt the outside type;)

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I have found OC's to be glory hogs that think they have the right to bigger moves then everyone else.

My next team will have IC doing all the big moves engineering be damned!

Don't hate us cuz we get to our points faster:P

Last time I flew one on one in the tunnel with an experienced IC she kicked me!!! That's why insides don't get the big moves, they have no clue where their legs are;)

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

It's not a race, if everyone is flying at the same skill level, the person with the biggest move will be the last in (normally OC, sometimes tail too for random work).

don't really mean to get serious here,

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It's not a race, if everyone is flying at the same skill level, the person with the biggest move will be the last in (normally OC, sometimes tail too for random work).

I think that GQ_jumper was just ribbing Dom with his post.

Last time I flew one on one in the tunnel with an experienced IC she kicked me!!! That's why insides don't get the big moves, they have no clue where their legs are

Are you kidding me. My last OC kicked our tail flier every chance he got. So anytime I flew point with him in the tunnel i would smack him pretty good upside the head to get him back for her.
Dom

YEs lets get serious. It is never a race. Fly together as a team. Turn stop and grip toegheter. When flying blocks learn to fly with you peice partner. DOnt't try and overpower them (lesson i learned this year) Help them when you can, just don't try to fly them around. Learn to read them, what they are thinking. See ther mistakes adn try tohelp make up for them. As they should be doing the same for you.

Blocks only work well when you fly as a team and a team with in a team.
Dom

I think that GQ_jumper was just ribbing Dom with his post.

hi rosa - I know, I was playing along here. Just posted that for some newbies. Don't want them to confuse real advice with our ribbing.

My last OC kicked our tail flier every chance he got.

Rehmwa had a good point in not confusing people with our hijinks, so I'll put the disclaimer here saying the last sentance is all tomfoolery!!

Some people just seem to have problems putting their grips in the right place when they are outfacing, I don't know if its a lack of comfort or depth perception, or maybe just trying to fly too hard.

And on the lighter side!!
If it instills any confidence in you about my flying ability Dom I've never kicked myself in the head on any of my solo dives:P and I fly all four slots pretty close at the same time, you should se me do a block 6 solo;)

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Some people just seem to have problems putting their grips in the right place when they are outfacing, I don't know if its a lack of comfort or depth perception, or maybe just trying to fly too hard.

It's about being patient. When facing out you have to know where to put it on em. For example. When building a cat. Whoever is on the head of the cat, can't just turn out right away. They need to see where the center two are setting up and then once they are set then turn out. As the team gets used to each other and can read the next move it gets easier to do it and faster. Last year (2004) nationals. We did train as much.

I was flying OC. I would let IC and Point build the center and once point was looking for grips i then turned out. It is slower to do it that way, but much faster then me turning out real quick and missing, then having to make a second try at it. This year we trained much harder and we could read where things were going to be and it helped OC to really only worry about where I was set up at and use me as his set up instead of waitning for Point to be looking for grips.
Dom

Sounds familiar. I'm OC and for outfacing formations for me (cat, adder) I wouldn't worry about point. I'd set up off of the IC, when point closed, I was already there. It only became an issue of him being able to make his move and then 'calmly' taking the the grips in front of him.

Point has it tougher than OC in that area, sometimes he doesn't have a clean base in his field of view (except those guys with the rubber necks). But still the same - Once you trust your center work, the outfacing stuff gets much easier.