IMGR2

4-way Comp suit suggestions please.

8. Liners that reduce sweating are good.

Maybe its just me but couldn't this just as easly be accomplished with you're base layer. (example: nothing special in the suit but wear cool-max running shorts and a similar T-shirt to facilitate cooling... not only that it lets the jumper change it more frequently... B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

did you get the blade booties?
Let me know what you think about the suits.

I don't know what blade booties means. But these have the foam stiffeners and the ~1.5 inch centerline panel.

The men's suits fit perfectly and I'm amazed at the extra power I can generate with the proper booties. We're very happy.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Brian,

I've got a couple of suits that might fit you if you want to try them out; one is a Tony, the other is a Bev. Each suit maker has a distinctive fit, but on the whole, pretty much all suits are the same. It comes down to little variances in personal taste and body profiles that really differientiate the products. Rehm hit most of the must-have options (don't know that I agree about rubber soles -- shoe goo is the solution if the leather wears too quickly). My preference is Bev.

Echoing the color scheme comments, if you must have massive orange areas, put it on the belly, and have the back and 'sides' be black. White gloves will be the easiest to find, and good contrast (e.g. white on black) makes the judges job much easier -- which is a Good Thing for you. IIRC, Deguello got into a bit of a tiff with judges at a Nationals due to background clutter and the team's suit colors. Something to think about.

I'd be glad to work with you on starting a 'Rats 4way team if you want, and there's no end of advise on this forum.

-- Dave

Mmmmmm - Shoe GOO

(Took the old suit and gooed up the leathers good. Can't replace those every year anymore.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I haven't had to apply shoe goo to either of thelast two Pit Specials I have gotten the one I just replaced ahd well over 500 jumps on it and 20 hours+ in the tunnela the booties held strong. The patches and such didn't.

Hell was never good enough for all those patches anyway.
Dom

Yup, the good rawhide type leathers are more sturdy. My last suit was a great one (not one of the 'big three' you see talked about here most). But the leather was a softer type and wore quickly. I'm still jazzed about the new one.

Let me know what you think about the suits.

(figured the bi monthly 'recommend a good 4-way suit' thread is due anyway)

Michigan Tetris Suits

We had ours for the last few weekends (except Sarah who got her rebuild last Thursday - hasn't jumped it). And everyone is completely jazzed. Full sized booties with stiffeners are the best thing ever. Our last meet was a team personal best and it wasn't as clean as the previous meet even.

here's a pic - 3 of us wearing the new suits, easy to tell (and the cameraman also wearing a Michigan camera suit).

We're thrilled (4 out of 5 customers thrilled, 1 remaining to decide).

Just got my new Michigan Comp suit today.

The stifiners are made of closed cell foam.

The knife edge allows for some real powerful turns but a new tychnique will be needed to move forward (turn your toes out abit).

I got the blunt edge stiff booty since it is complimetary to my personnal flying style. They turn real fast too, but I do not have to turn my toes out to move forward. At my age breaking this habit is gonna take to long;).

Took it out of the box today at noon and by 3 pm and 3 jumps later I wonder what I can do with my other suits, maybe just use them for tandems and loungin' around the DZ:P.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Took it out of the box today at noon and by 3 pm and 3 jumps later I wonder what I can do with my other suits, maybe just use them for tandems and loungin' around the DZ:P.

I was going to keep my old one also as a backup, but after a couple jumps (and having the booties on the new suit tightened by my wife - both heel fit and length knee/toe) decided to give the old suit to one of the younger skydivers who's flying pretty good and needs a fitting suit and booties. I have no desire to jump another suit now that I've used the Tetris. I'll say it again - Mega booties are the best.

Did the suit stand up on its own right out of the box?:P those are stiff booties and grippers. Very cool.

I don't know what "knife edge" means. The front of my booties is an inch and a half wide panel, or so. I've seen older versions with a single stiffened seam right in the center - is that it?

I have the 2" (+or-) wide strip on the front, I calll that the blunt edge from his traditional design.

The Knife edge has the sides sewn together in the front, so that the stiffener is "touching" and creates the "knife" edge.

I suppose this is the "tetris" model but Mike and I have never called it that when talking.

Have you found that you can really get "feet high" when using the booties to gain lift to float and in a track?

Any way best suit I have, by far!

Matt

I have the same thing. And yes, the booties are super powerful. Post 2 here describes what I meant by Tetris - (It's just a defined option package that Mike thinks = serious competition based on his experience and input from serious types). Anyway, new suits are fun.

I don't know what "knife edge" means. The front of my booties is an inch and a half wide panel, or so. I've seen older versions with a single stiffened seam right in the center - is that it?

The original design the front came to a single seam.

My last suit had a 1 1/2" center piece. The theory is that the center piece will be able to fold over and actually increase the surface area of the bootie...So far it seems to work well. It has tons of power, but I think the original "Knife Edge" allowed for slightly quicker inputs laterally.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

My last suit had a 1 1/2" center piece. The theory is that the center piece will be able to fold over and actually increase the surface area of the bootie...So far it seems to work well. It has tons of power, but I think the original "Knife Edge" allowed for slightly quicker inputs laterally.

Thanks, we have a guy with a Mich with the single seam (original knife edge). Mine is like yours. I agree with the concept of the center flat allowing more surface.

I just got my new Tony Suit a few weeks ago, I'm having to send it back because it's a little snug. I did put a few jumps on it to try out hte mega booties and they rock!!! The suit flies incredibly clean and seems incredibly well built. I'll drop a review after I put a couple hundred jumps on it and let ya know how it holds up.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Yup - aren't full sized booties the best?

Definitely, they take a bit of getting used to, but once you get em dialed in you can feel how much power they have.

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

So now my wife is making RW suits in addition to freefly suits and weight belts.

I'm absolutely amazed at how this works. There aren't any full sized patterns out there to work from for this type of thing. And the RW suit is SO much harder than the freefly suit as it's form fitting.

I've never seen someone create a full body suit pattern from scratch. It was quite a journey for her.

In any case it's gorgeous - Both the women's and men's cuts. She's done ALL those prototypes and now the real suit is being staged. I can't wait to see people with them at the DZ. I think she's going pretty hard core and will only accommodate a couple options, it's a beefy comp suit or nothing. I like that, but I'm an all or nothing kind of person. She says that she's only taking enough orders to do fast turnaround on suits. I wonder how long that'll last if they become popular. I think there's a premiun for turning around an order in a week or two...

I have a lot more respect for all the suit manufacturers out there now that I see first hand what goes into a new design and even in just making one.

But I'm even more convinced that when someone is buying a suit from whoever, that they sit down and take it very seriously and talk to a serious competition type and buy the most powerful version they can with those necessary options for the highest level of skydiving and durability. (That's why I think it's great that Mich has the Tetris option, rather than a big ol list of options - it's the right thing for the customer even if they don't know it yet.)

Still loving my Tetris, and it's great to have someone live-in that can do the little regular sewing maintenance that a highly used suit needs.

I have had my Majik style Bev suit long enough to become comfortable with it and it's probably the last suit I will ever need. Since I'm not the skinny skydiver that I was 25 years ago, I got mine with the small wing and swoop cords. Without using them, I can do 118-119 mph without working at it. I've used the swoop cords when jumping with the lightweights and been as slow as 112 mph without sacraficing performance. I got the slip-on sleeves just in case but I haven't had to use them. I would recommend this suit to anyone looking for a quality jumpsuit.

I had my new tony suit for a while, it was working well for me although a bit too small, but when I took it in the tunnel and saw myself flying it realized that the mis-sizing was causing a lot of problems. So Neal Houston sold me one of his suits(Ihave no clue how the hell it tis me, I outweight him by at least 30 pounds!!), and it was like night and day. the right suit will do wonders for your flying. so now I'm getting ready to send my old suit back to tony along with Neal's to have them match the sizes.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Tony SHOULD HAVE Neal's sizes on file, keep the suit and use it till your other one gets back.

Tony should be able to compare both sets of measurments and fix it up.

I did just that with another suit builder, which is why I buy his product even though I can get others for free.

edited to say "should have"

Tony has Neal's sizes on file, keep the suit and use it till your other one gets back.

nice, thanx i'll give em a call this week and get it all set up, I still think it's funny that Neal's suit fits me though, I stand about 3" taller and am quite a bit more built, he complains everytime we're piece partners that I weigh too much!! I've since tried to start losing weight but the harder I try the more weight I put on;)

--Dwight D. Eisenhower