Rdutch

weights or clamps? (For reserve packing)

Im learning how to pack reserves, and the first two attempts was without packing weights (too eager to wait so I practiced at home a few times). All I ended up with was an extremely sloppy, ugly pack job. So the next day I go over it a few time's with help and weight's and after a few time's I finally produced an impressively neat pack job (took forever). But I wanted some more practice and all I could find to take home with me was a set of packing clamps. Its a lot harder to pack with clamps or so it seem's. Im sure it cant be that much different, Am I doing something wrong? How do you prefer to pack? Weight's or clamp's? Any hint's tip's will also be much appreciated.

I quess this can also be answered for Base pack jobs also.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I will sometimes use both depending on the pack type and how well the canopy behaves.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

None of the reserve packing demo's by manufacturers I've watched during 7 of the last 8 rigger conferences/International parachute symposia have used clamps. One key is not only having weights, but having heavy enough weights. My 1 lb weight are only useful while flaking rounds. I have a variety of 2, 3, and 5 pound weight. Get some shot, cordura, webbing and start sewing.;) One rigger I know using clean deburred lengths of chain for weights. Another had steel bar stock 2" thick welded together with a handle and padded.

I actually do use a pair of clamps some times. But better technique can eliminate their use. I use them for bags with reserve bag flaps that don't cover the entire mouth of the bag. I actually use them to clamp the s folds together, close the bag, and then remove them.

I watched BASE pack jobs using clamps. I don't do that stuff. I think one consideration is the BASE guys not wanting to lug weights around.

And remember, count your tools!

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I use clamps only since I have them and I don't have weights of my own yet. I've used both and when I make my weights I'm going to add long streamers onto them since it seems way to easy to have a 1 pound weight get rolled into a packjob. I use 3 and 5 pound ones when I've got them availble. The issue with the clamps I have is that the plastic coating on the end is able to come off and if its not there the clamp can slice into the reserve.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Six clamps (sometimes more cuz I have a boatload of them) and a couple a weights.

Tools are your friends.

Make a checklist of each tool. Use the checklist of which tool you use, and check it off when you remove it. When you have 1000 pack jobs, still use the check list. Give the checklist to the owner of the rig when you're finished.

Any one out there have a good checklist they can share? Mines functionall but not pretty.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

We don't use either. Never needed them and I don't see any reason why we would in the future. We don't even teach their use in our Rigger's Courses.

Reserves can be packed without weights or clamps folks, and done equally as clean and quick. Plus, it's one (or several) less things to leave in a rig!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

One more reply.

Unless you see how I use them it's irrelevant whethere I say I do or not. I can easily pack with or with out weights or clamps. This has no bearing on whether you should.

My Preference is to use them. I would suspect, any person who saw the how I do use them, would not worry whether or not I left a clamp in the pack job. It's not possible. Ok.. it is possible, but I'd have to remove the clamps, put the parachute in the bag, and then put the clamp in the bag.

None the less. It's a choice. It's not Neccessary to use clamps or weights. Now that I've put more thought into it, I would suggest to you, as a new rigger, to use a few tools as possible.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

None the less. It's a choice. It's not Neccessary to use clamps or weights. Now that I've put more thought into it, I would suggest to you, as a new rigger, to use a few tools as possible.

Amen.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

He! He!
Another opportunity to publicly disagree with councilman.
If he watched my "Packing a Ram Air Canopy into a Pilot Emergency Parachute" seminar at the 1997 PIA Symposium, he would have seen me clamping the canopy.
For a detailed look at how I use clamps, read the Aviator or Talon 2 packing manuals on Rigging Innovations' website.

I gave up on using weights to pack ram airs after the freebag got really "heavy" on a couple of occaisions.

Funny, I still use weights when I pack round parachutes into PEPs.

The issue with the clamps I have is that the plastic coating on the end is able to come off and if its not there the clamp can slice into the reserve.

Finally came up with a fix for this (for me anyways)

Had an old pair of jeans that don't fit anymore, so I chopped up a leg and made my 'clamp condoms'.

Basically very simple, a U shaped piece of denim with fold overs on the ends, now the denim is between the clamps and the canopy, no real risk of them coming into contact!

(my engineering mind seems to work better with alcohol fuel!)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The issue with the clamps I have is that the plastic coating on the end is able to come off and if its not there the clamp can slice into the reserve.

Finally came up with a fix for this (for me anyways)

Had an old pair of jeans that don't fit anymore, so I chopped up a leg and made my 'clamp condoms'.

Basically very simple, a U shaped piece of denim with fold overs on the ends, now the denim is between the clamps and the canopy, no real risk of them coming into contact!

(my engineering mind seems to work better with alcohol fuel!)

those red caps get worn pretty easy

my solution is Pony 3202 clamps
reverse the caps (take the long ones from the handle and put them on the mouth piece)
put tags on the ends of the handles

I like clamps a lot more than packing weights. I use them to pack squares AND rounds.

Mostly I don't use either for Ram-Air's (weights for rounds). Though my weights are good for keeing things stable.

COUNT YOUR TOOLS!

I have seen one container mfg that seems to prefer using clamps.

And I've been told by one reserve canopy mfg that they don't want any kind of clamp placed on their canopy for ANY reason. (not packing, not hanging, not fabric pull test, not no way, not no how... not ever... they seemed rather adamant...)

If you use weights:
- clean/smooth surface
- no leaking dust (fine grain sand/grit is bad for fabric)
- heavy enough to do the job
- long bright (contrasting) flags to keep from loosing them in the folds
- COUNT your tools when done.

If you use clamps:
- clean/smooth surface
- large/strong enough to do the job
- long bright (contrasting) flags to keep from loosing them in the folds
- COUNT your tools when done.

Verify that your home-grown techniques do not violate the mfg's recommendations.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Minor comments:

Protectors for the ends of clamps: I just saw neoprene dog booties in a dollar store, that looked like they might fit (although still might need to be tied on not to lose them, since they won't be a perfect fit).

Clamps vs weights:
A bit of both for me. I don't use weights with lead shot; I don't like the idea of possible lead contamination from all the rubbing lead.

Clamps can be handy for the skinny top of round canopies, to keep the lengthwise folds all together. Weights tend to slide off (if not perfectly balanced across the canopy) when pulling the canopy towards the rig.