labrys

Low pull + CYPRES fire + near miss with tree.

Thanks for sharing this - good reminder that sometimes that little voice in your head that says "stay on the ground" is right. Glad you came out of it only a little roughed up.

This video is a nice argument for lightly-loaded reserves ... you didn't have any really good options, but a non-aggressive WL made that landing much less nasty.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Good observation about the reserve WL. Mine is really conservative.

Thank you for sharing and offering a great description of what happened. Glad you are okay!
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Glad your safe Kelly, and thanks for posting. To all you beginner skydivers getting comfortable with how easy skydiving is, remember how fast it goes wrong when it does. And it will someday!

I am just happy your arms were strong enough to push the record button, and for that we thank you!

So did you find the freebag?
BASE 1384

"To all you beginner skydivers..."

OK, Newb question. I've only been to Florida once, as a kid. What was wrong w/that large clear area off to his right (@around 40 secs.) just before he came around 180 degrees? It looked wide open, w/no trees in it. Is that area really four foot deep of yuk, w/grass floating on top?

Much of it is thigh deep water with cabbage palms growing under the surface. I wasn't really thinking about landing in the water although that might have been a safer option than the trail.

I only had a few seconds to decide where I way going to land and the trail caught my eye before that clear spot did. I don't even remember seeing it.
Owned by Remi #?

Well in the end, all that really matters is your ok, you got your gear and your here to share your "no shit" story and video for others to learn from and that sure as hell beats reading about you in another forum!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

That's a fairly novel reason for a mal, not being able to reach due to sore arms from a day in the tunnel!

On final, having the DZ visible in the distance ahead is an interesting little visual cue to show that one may be heading downwind, given a normal spot.

Looks like about 30 seconds under canopy.

That's a good observation about the DZ being downwind. Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking that clearly. I identified the longest stretch of what appeared to be clear ground and went for it.

You did good, however, be wary of anything with long lines or pathways. Sometimes there are fences or power lines...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I believe I saw you (I was sitting out by the bridge near the showers/bathroom.

Glad ya made it, the tunnel is fun and all, but nobody thinks they'll be that sore.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

That would have been a good place to see it.

I just uploaded the HD version with sound. It's easier to see the terrain and my altimeter in this one. It's amazing how fast things go all to hell when I decide to try to shift my rig instead of just open my reserve. That last 1000 feet couldn't be spared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD8DjpMYOJA
Owned by Remi #?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRbUES79HwM

The video description explains what happened. Lucky to have survived the low pull and the sketchy landing.

Do you even consider to leave your camera on the ground? Why to complicate if you fail even the very basic things?

You got a clear warning of bad judgement. You should already know when you are ready for jump or not.

Anyway bad judgement can not be compensated with low WL...:S