mww115

RW formations

I'm starting to work on formations. Doing some catting, accordians, etc. I seem to learn a new formation/ name everytime I go up. And that's good b/c the day I stop learning is the day I go in the ground. But I was wondering...
Is there a book I could purchase and look at some pictures of formations? I checked the SIM and couldn't find anything. And we don't have a Skydiving U anywhere close. Thanks for any help.

Mikey

Here is the dive pool for competition.
http://www.omniskore.com/divepool/IPC/about_downloading.htm

Also you could check out "Freefalling Together" and "Freefalling Together #2" for larger formations. You shuld be able to get them at Square One or just about any another gear store. They are nice as a formation reference guide. They dont have names of formations but are a huge source of ideas for formations. they are broken down to sections of 2-ways, 3-ways 4-ways ect...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I'm starting to work on formations. Doing some catting, accordians, etc. I seem to learn a new formation/ name everytime I go up. And that's good b/c the day I stop learning is the day I go in the ground. But I was wondering...
Is there a book I could purchase and look at some pictures of formations? I checked the SIM and couldn't find anything. And we don't have a Skydiving U anywhere close. Thanks for any help.

Mikey

see Formations for Dummies - All formations consist of one or more of eight possible grips you can take on other jumpers.

Online DiveMaker

DiveMaker

There used to be a couple of books, with lots of formations sorted by number of participants. A while ago I tried to locate them, as I organie a lot, and wanted a resource for dive planning, especially with non-standard numbers of jumpers. It is very handy to be able to look up formations for an 11-way, or a 7-way... Unfortunately, I think the books are no longer available. I'd buy them in a heartbeat if they were.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Square one has freefalling together #2 listed on their sight. It is the series of books your talking about. #2 and is for formations of 21+, I think it starts at 21 but anyway.... If they have #2 you might want to see if they have FreeFalling Together #1

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

There used to be a couple of books, with lots of formations sorted by number of participants. A while ago I tried to locate them, as I organie a lot, and wanted a resource for dive planning, especially with non-standard numbers of jumpers. It is very handy to be able to look up formations for an 11-way, or a 7-way... Unfortunately, I think the books are no longer available. I'd buy them in a heartbeat if they were.

I have #1, but what I'd really like to get is "Blocking Together", which doesn't just give formations, but also complete point progression through skydives up to (around) 20-ways. It is also out of print. I'm surprised that someone can't make a few bucks reprinting these books.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Thanks for all your input guys and girls. This past weekend there was 3 or four of us doing RW, most with low jump numbers. Somehow, I wound up the organizer. :S The pictures gave me a few ideas. Now it's just nailing the exit and not going over my partner. She's out, I'm in (my feet aren't on my ass, they're IN it). And of course the RW skills. Thanks again.

Mike
Until you've stepped out at 800' in the dead of night with 100 lbs of chute and equipment.. you haven't jumped. AIRBORNE !

see Formations for Dummies - All formations consist of one or more of eight possible grips you can take on other jumpers.

Online DiveMaker

Are these links working for anyone? They really sound beneficial.

I keep getting the white page of death.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Check out the SCM (Skydiver's Competition Manual), section 5-3 (starts on page 63). If you continue with RW, you will find it most helpful to be at least passingly familiar with the names and shapes of the 4 and 8 way dive pools.

Of course, just about any combination of jumpers and grips works just fine, names or no names. It's all about having fun with your friends. Don't feel constrained about any single dive pool, or limit yourself to 2/4/8 way because of a manual. Play around, and enjoy the air!

Don't feel constrained about any single dive pool, or limit yourself to 2/4/8 way because of a manual. Play around, and enjoy the air!

Nice job at nationals!

I rather like formations where the number of jumpers is a prime, like 7, 11, 13 or 17 ways.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Nerd Humor

PROOF THAT ALL ODD NUMBERS ARE PRIME:

Mathmatician -- 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, the rest follows by induction.

Statistician -- 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is expermental error so throw it out, 11 is prime, 13 is prime, the rest follows by induction.

Computer Scientist -- 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is prime, ....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants