Viking

jumping a Factory Diver without the face shield..

Is this just a dumb idea? Anyone got any stories of incident due to not having the face shield in?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I do not think so... but of course it is more open then with the visor. I use Z1 without visor with goggles. For many years i was using closed face integral helmet and i liked it.. but with goggle it is 100% fogfree.. and it is important on some jumps.

should i worry to much about catching a foot/knee/elbow in the face?

You really think that thin piece of plastic on the face shield is gonna help much?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Last night was a perfect example of why I suggest you keep the face shield in place. We were doing an 8 way hybrid out of the Casa. Got the 4 people on belly - great! 4 hangers dropped - awesome! We're screaming along and then all of the sudden - WHAM! One of the hangers flew up from underneath into the center of the formation, hit me in the ribs/chest area, kneed another guy in the eye. As I dropped out, I hit a guy just under the eye with my knee. The original hanger that took the formation out ended up with a split lip. Not a single one of those hangers had a full face helmet on.

The guy that took a knee to the eye ended up with the guy I kneed following him down to make sure he could deploy. The guy's eye was swollen shut by the time he got to the ground.

Do you know how many people right then and there on that 8 way were debating on getting full-face helmets? And those that saw the aftermath?

Whatever you do, please, be careful, my friend.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

True, but with the face shield in place, it may just have prevented the people getting popped in the eyes
and lips.

Lips would have been under the bottom part of the helmet...And Goggles provide just about as much eye protection as the shield...I have hit people hard enough to make them bleed even though they wore a full face helmet...And I have seen it many more times.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The Face shield is not there to protect you from much more than the wind in your face. If you get hit hard it’s coming off anyway. Great in the winter and great to keep things quiet, but any hard impact and it goes right through it. I love fast 4 way and it’s about all I do. SK1 knows. If you like the goggles with the full face which I highly recommend (the full face that is) do what feels good to you.

Just got humbled in the tunnel.

The shield will not protect you from any substantial blow. I have lost many shields (10-12) due to minimal contact. Some have split the shield and the peices that still were intact, were beating and slashing me in the faceB|. So now I put a small bit of tape on the bottom of a flip up type shield. Loosing shields are $$pricey and dangerous. So be sure they seal properly, and be careful freeflying w/ a flip up visor.
Big Eyes & Grinz,
Hoov

When I jump my full face (Z1), I tend to flare higher than with goggles. I assume it is because of visual distortion from the shield. I guess if I wore it more regularly I would get use to it.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

thats true. I have had many a time when my goggles distorted things. Maybe just a pair of shades (fake Oakley's so i can look coolB|:D) will do fine. Plus if i loose them oh well.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

thats true. I have had many a time when my goggles distorted things. Maybe just a pair of shades (fake Oakley's so i can look coolB|:D) will do fine. Plus if i loose them oh well.

Don't wear sunglasses if doing RW. Seeing the other person's eyes is important.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Which other person's eyes? On the 120 ways and 124 ways this year all I saw were butts.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The shield will not protect you from any substantial blow. I have lost many shields (10-12) due to minimal contact. Some have split the shield and the peices that still were intact, were beating and slashing me in the faceB|. So now I put a small bit of tape on the bottom of a flip up type shield. Loosing shields are $$pricey and dangerous. So be sure they seal properly, and be careful freeflying w/ a flip up visor.
Big Eyes & Grinz,
Hoov

Methinks you need to choose some different skydiving companions.

I've never damaged a face shield, even in competitive 10-way speed where hitting things is expected.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Which other person's eyes? On the 120 ways and 124 ways this year all I saw were butts.

John...Thats becasue thats were you WANTED to look.;)

I agree with this. I want to see your eyes, not just your face, when I look at you in freefall.

Ron

I even frown on people wearing sunglasses on the bigger formations. As Thighman can tell you, I needed to see where he was looking when he came swooping by me. (don't worry Patrick, I still love you:P )
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hoov does do some serious jumpin! The reason I don't try to do FAST 4 way with him is his idea of a fast 4 way is 20 in time. I, like most, can't go quite that fast. He can and does on a regular basis. When you push the envolope you will find the edge.

Just got humbled in the tunnel.