andy2

first 2 way help?

Hello, I've lined up my first 2 way, with another student for next weekend. What should we plan to do, both our jump numbers are in the teens, should we plan to just try to dock and thats it? Keep it simple the first jump? Thanks!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

oh damn you might be right! I had 3-4 coach jumps lined up before this but that will put me 2-3 jumps shy (not counting my A license check dive) short of my license. Maybe it will have to wait til next weekend :S

I'd still appreciate any advice on first 2 way as I will be making it in a couple weeks rather than this coming weekend. That's probably for the best as I am still working on nailing solo exits.

let my inspiration flow,

You can do simple things like try and dock in a 2-way. Then one person could do a 90 degree turn while the other takes a sidebody grip on him. Then he could turn back to the 2-way. Then the other guy goes. Then turn the other direction, etc.

Ask an instructor on your DZ for what dive to do...

It is very hard to coach over the internet.

Its what the instructors and coaches are there for.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'm in similar situaation to you. What I did is:
a) Did a few solo just getting used to not having an instructor watching over you.
b) Did a few 2-Ways with some experienced jumpers (but not coaches).
c)I've now just started my coached jumps aiming toward FS1.
----------
Ben G
Still Sinking :-(

It's always good to agree on one person being the base - especially if you make an unlinked exit. In other words, one person just falls stable and lets the other person come to them. Otherwise, you can both spend the whole jump adjusting fall rates in the hope of meeting in the middle.

The only thing worse than a cold toilet seat is a warm toilet seat.

good idea. Can we do it like I did with my later level AFF jumps, one of us exit, then imediately the other person gets in the door and exits like 1-2 seconds later? Will that work? Will the person exiting after have to "swoop" down to the person exiting first?

let my inspiration flow,

I would also suggest that along with holding a base, they hold a heading as well. I see so many jumpers that are starting out with 2 novices that tend to orbit around each other for the whole skydive and then wondering "who did what". I would also suggest that you check with your DZ. I know a lot of DZs in Fl...Deland and Sebastian "recommend" that the two jumpers have a combined total of 100 jumps between them before they can jump together for safety reasons. That "recomendation" is quite strickly enforced too.

Again, it is tough to coach over the web, but without knowing your skillset, I wouldnt probably recommend that you try the swooping thing. I have been in the air with many a post AFF student that would have killed me if I didnt get out of the way. I am thinking worst case scenario, though. If you are set on doing this 2 way. I would probably recommend that you guys go linked so you are not wasting the skydive chasing each other around. Even if the exit goes to shit, you will still be pretty close to each other after it breaks apart.

Note:Whatever you plan on doing get an opinion of an instructor or coach for safety reasons.

Hi Andy,
I would highly recommend getting a coach and learning the right way to fly instead of going up with someone who is equally inexperienced as you. Bad habits are formed early and most people never get the proper coaching/training to correct them after they are ingrained in their flying style.
Certain things are crucial to making a good flyer....
-Being able to fall straight down and sit perfectly still(most people think they can but I would venture to guess that 85% of skydivers can't mantain this)
-Being able to make small moves (big moves are easy)
-Being able to make any move and STOP exactly where you want to and fall straight down. (I bet 95% of jumpers can't do this)
-Being able to maintain your heading control throughout the jump, from exit to opening.
-Level control is also hugely important.
-Being relaxed

these are only a few of the basics that need to be mastered if you want to be a good flyer. You can practice all of these things with anyone but if they don't have a complete grasp on the these things then how will either of you know if you are doing it right?? that is where a good coach comes into play. It may seem like a waste of money or too expensive but in the long run it will pay off. I promise:)
jason 570

the tunnel is an excellant training tool also.

thanks for responding everyone, I have pretty much decided to hold off on the 2 way with this guy, and just put my money toward coach jumps. That will kill two birds with one stone because I need to be signing off things for my A license anyways. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

let my inspiration flow,

You should contact MJ at Skydive Elsinore. He teaches a two way skills camp for new people like your self as well as for more experienced skydivers who are looking to improve their skills. Ive been to the camp and it is fantastic.
I believe that the two way skills camp is listed under coaching on Skydive Elsinore's website : SkydiveElsinore.com.

Check with instructors first. I did my first uncoached 2-way just before I had a license but the other guy had 1,100 jumps and I got an OK from an instructor/gm. We just did 360's and took grips several times.

Respect the Dolphin

MJ is a real good instructor. Fortunately I live in Norway and hope to get some coached jumps with him in July. :)
For the two way, I'd recomend some coached jumps and some jumps with experienced skydivers.

What is important next is to find someone who you can do many jumps with. Doing 40 jumps with 20 different people, you won't learn as much as doing 20 jumps with one person.

Start with turning one and one.

Attached is a training sequense that I've found very fun. Not to hard either, but both jumpers move at the same time. You need to at least be able to hold level, dock and make fairly centerpoint turns.

Have fun B|

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

fs-2.jpg