scotts

RESERVE P/C

Reserve pilot chutes and freebags are TSO'd, and are stamped with manufacturer, part number, date of manufacture, and serial number, just like the harness and container. The freebags are not interchangeable between different models of the same rig, let alone between manufacturers, because most systems depend on friction fit to stage reserve deployment. It's possible that reserve pilot chutes may be interchangeable in some cases (but not all: Vector reserve pilot chutes are significantly different than Mirage), but since the pilot chute is normally lost with the freebag, the situation rarely arises.

Once you know the serial numbers, you can call the manufacturer to determine compatibility.

Mark

Why? Your rigger should'nt ever mix them up, and if you use the reserve and loose the freebag for more then a couple of weeks I probally would'nt put it back in a system unless it was showed to have landed in a dry, shaded spot and is in perfect condition. If its UV damaged you'll have to replace it anyways.

On rigs like Javelins and other semi or full exposed pop tops the jumper and the rigger can tell at a glance if its correct, and I'm hoping you've got a rigger that keeps all components of a rig together or else I'd be looking for a different rigger.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm not worried about my rigger. It's more of it being lost and if someone who is not a jumper brings it to the dz, it can be identified. I'm sure there are many items unclaimed at most dz's that people just assume are gone forever and they never check to see if there stuff has been found. Freebag/PC @ $140.00 is something i'd like to have back.

The freebags are not interchangeable between different models of the same rig, let alone between manufacturers

actually, a master rigger can determine if one freebag will work in another type/size rig. so if you have a (lets just say) mirage, and you loose the freebag, and your friend has an extra vector freebag, and your rigger is a master rigger, he or she can determine if it will work or not. or if you have a javelin, and you loose the freebag, and you buddy has a nj extra freebag, and your rig was a tjn, very close in size, if a master rigger packs it, he or she can determine.

later

actually, a master rigger

A Senior rigger can assemble gear and it is up to the rigger to determine compatability.

AC-105-2C

"The assembly or mating of approved parachute components from different manufacturers may be made by a certificated and appropriately rated parachute rigger or parachute loft in accordance with the parachute manufacturer's instructions and without further authorization by the manufacturer or the FAA."

If I wanted to replace the reserve PC in my Micron with a Mirage PC, I could. For liability reasons, I wouldn't do that to other people's rigs, but it is legal.

Hook

The assembly or mating of approved parachute components from different manufacturers may be made by a certificated and appropriately rated parachute rigger or parachute loft in accordance with the parachute manufacturer's instructions and without further authorization by the manufacturer or the FAA.

(My emphasis added.) Which manufacturer allows substitution of freebag/bridle/pilot chute by anything other than its own sized and tested components? According to the Relative Workshop, which pilot chutes are approved for the Micron? Can you substitute a Mirage PC for the one in your Micron, in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions?

Mark

Thanks Mark, it's good to know that they are not interchangeable between mfrs. Might be a good idea to have my rigger write my name on the bridle on the next repack.

Make sure it's written in non-acidic ink.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Freebags tend to be an item that if turned in DZ's try to find theowner of. Its usually simple. "Who's had a reserve ride recently and was unable to find their freebag?" "Lets see.... "

A simpler solution is just to follow it down....
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

in accordance with the parachute manufacturer's instructions and without further authorization by the manufacturer or the FAA.

Right, follow the manufacturer's instructions for assembly, attaching the bridle to the free-bag, w/ a larks head knot.

How many different reserves can be put into a container? What about civilian canopies and de-militarized containers? It is up to the assembling rigger to determine compatibility.

I don't remember the container and reserve, but they were marked as being compatible with each other. The container only took one reserve and the reserve could only be packed into one container. The manufacturers were unable to make this stick.

Hook

It's more of it being lost and if someone who is not a jumper brings it to the dz, it can be identified. I'm sure there are many items unclaimed at most dz's that people just assume are gone forever and they never check to see if there stuff has been found. Freebag/PC @ $140.00 is something i'd like to have back.

Scott, yes, it's a good idea to write your name and contact details on your reserve bridle. Also write the word "Reward". I travel a lot around the world and although have not used reserve for over 20 yrs (touch wood), feel very comfortable that I increase chance of getting freebag back fast by being willing to pay the finder.

fergs

quote: I don't remember the container and reserve, but they were marked as being compatible with each other. The container only took one reserve and the reserve could only be packed into one container. The manufacturers were unable to make this stick.: end quote

You are referring to Swift and EOS containers built by Para-Flite. Ssince Para-Flite is primarily a canopy manufacturer, they insisted that you could only "legally" pack reserves built by Para-Flite into their containers.

This was clearly a marketing ploy, since every Master Rigger knows that a similar-sized Raven or Tempo reserve would deploy quite nicely from a Para--Flite container.

This is all an academic debate since both those containers have fallen out of fashion. Para-Flite laid off both container designers (Manley Butler designed the Swift container in 1981 and Troy Loney designed the EOS container circa 1990) before they had time to work all the bugs out of their designs. Hint, it takes most manufacturers two or three years to de-bug a pattern set.
Hook

quote: I don't remember the container and reserve, but they were marked as being compatible with each other. The container only took one reserve and the reserve could only be packed into one container. The manufacturers were unable to make this stick.: end quote

You are referring to Swift and EOS containers built by Para-Flite. Ssince Para-Flite is primarily a canopy manufacturer, they insisted that you could only "legally" pack reserves built by Para-Flite into their containers.

This was clearly a marketing ploy, since every Master Rigger knows that a similar-sized Raven or Tempo reserve would deploy quite nicely from a Para--Flite container.

This is all an academic debate since both those containers have fallen out of fashion. Para-Flite laid off both container designers (Manley Butler designed the Swift container in 1981 and Troy Loney designed the EOS container circa 1990) before they had time to work all the bugs out of their designs. Hint, it takes most manufacturers two or three years to de-bug a pattern set.

They can't be that far out of fashion if they are still issuing SB's for the container:

http://www.paraflite.com/PDF/Service%20Bulletin%20Main%20Closing%20Loop%20Retainer.pdf

I would bet that every Senior Rigger knows that a similar sized reserve will deploy from a Swift container also. Senior Riggers have been assembling gear for a long time. I could put any number of TSO'd reserve PC's in my Strong Stylemaster Chest mount reserve. (Taking my Chest mount practical this week, next step in getting my Master rating).

Hook

Might be a good idea to have my rigger write my name on the bridle on the next repack.

I know many people that have done this. Just becasue a person that lives around a dz finds it, doesn't mean they'll know what it is or bother returning it. A name and phone number, along with whoever suggested writing "reward" on it, definately increases your chances of getting it back.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so pete, you going to PIA???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, I'm planning on going for a day or two

what days??

later

In Reply To

so pete, you going to PIA???

Yup, I'm planning on going for a day or two

what days??

Not sure yet, if I'm not there I'll either leave the slinks @SDA, or mail them to ya

--
Hook high, flare on time

Scott,

oh yeah, forgot to mention - always have a spare of everything that can be dropped or lost. This includes freebag/P/C, cutaway cable, reserve ripcord, reserve closing loop, main closing loop, tube stows, etc.

A malfunction on first day of a boogie that you've been planning to do 100 jumps at will definately spoil your experience if you lose the freebag and don't have a spare.

You cannot always rely on others to have parts - even the local rigger. So you should be as self sufficient as possible.

Enjoy, fergs