Sangi

Why Velocity is so popular?

Agreed. For example, Nick Batsch is using a 63 here at the World Cup and doing just fine

For the two whole jumps that have been completed? What is it, deja vu all over again?:P

Well, maybe when the weather clears he'll get a chance to fly it some more. He does fly that tiny jvx very well.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, the issue of the actual relative sizes of a JVX-063 vs a VC-071 notwithstanding, I think you guys are missing my point.

You can't take a fixed wingloading and apply it to an ever larger or ever smaller wing and get balanced flight characteristics across the events.

So I was always wondering, why's Velocity is the most popular and most jumped out of all the HP Xbraced canopies?

Why wouldn't you want to jump this for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSJbnagUfFg&feature=related? The speed is mental and the distance looks really good as well...

I hear people say that Velo is easier to fly than a JVX, so is one of the reasons that most of them can't handle a canopy like this?

Because it's a really damn fun parachute to fly.

I was also under the impression that it was a generally undisputed fact that the bigger canopy loaded the same will swoop further. (Not faster or more fun, simply further. Also not taking into account the wind factor)

I also recall some people buying larger canopies and to wear lead at the same time simply to make the same WL as with their previous canopy but with a larger wing..

What was the distance world record flown with ? Velocity 120sqft ? (EDIT: it seems its not Bruno Brokken anymore but Nick Batch instead)

I guess the general view on this isnt as unanimous as I thought..

I used to believe that anything smaller than 100 Square Feet was inefficient, and then came the cross braced canopies and everyone was blowin it out on 80 Sq Foot canopies.

I agree with the fact that there is a point where a canopy is just too small to be efficient. I just don't think you can put a number on it for all folks. And I don't think its hard and fast, anything below 70 Square Feet.

Anything smaller than an 80 for me would be like a 60 for a lot of you. It depends on the wing, the pilot's skill, and the wing loading.

Jay broke the world record, today, under a velocity 79.

175+ meters.

Blues,
Ian

Yeah.. I heard that too. Thats pretty sick ! B|

Btw. Are weights allowed nowadays in competitions ?

I always thought that at one point the trend was to upsize to a bigger canopy and strap a lot of weight. I hear Jay and the guys were strapping even 70 lbs. The reason for this was that the bigger canopy at the same WL would swoop further. Then after some weight restrictions took place, the trend was to downsize back to smaller canopies to get the optimal WL.

Was this not the case ? Why were people wearing so much weight back in the day if there was no real benefit ?

Weights are allowed, but by a scale. If you check the FAI rules for Canopy Piloting you'll find a chart.

The short version is if you're a regular sized person, like myself, you don't get to wear weights and are at a severe disadvantage to the jockey sized swoopers who win everything.

:D

Or maybe they're just much better competitive swoopers...NA, has to be the weights.:P

hey... do yourself a favor, stop saying dumb stuff and making yourself look like a fool.

Ian posted this news in a thread titled "Why Velocity is so popular?"... as if to offer it as proof that the Velocity is better than the JVX. Sangi was merely countering that implication. I don't think that makes him look like a fool.

Ian posted this news in a thread titled "Why Velocity is so popular?"... as if to offer it as proof that the Velocity is better than the JVX. Sangi was merely countering that implication. I don't think that makes him look like a fool.

Dan... seriously? not you, man! :S You should know better than that. As usual, the thread has drifted, and now the questions of performance of the smaller parachutes are being discussed, with points being made about their inefficiency. So Ian points out that Jay has set a new distance record under a 79 sq ft canopy. "This is because PD lured in all the best pilots with their sponsorship"??? I dont care if that's in a general sense or specific to the point of small canopy performance - only an ignorant person would say something like that.

I think it has to do with the fact that the 79 sq ft velocitys proportion is the golden proportion and in fact dan brown is writing a new book exploring the masonic ties to Performance Designs.

seriously people????
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I'm just saying that if those pilots that work for PD and fly a velo for that long would have flown an all sail JVX for the same amount of time, maybe their results would be even better?
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

I'm just saying that if those pilots that work for PD and fly a velo for that long would have flown an all sail JVX for the same amount of time, maybe their results would be even better?

Or worst.

There is a reason why there is more then one canopy available. I jumped a VX for about 50 jumps and I didn't like it. I couldn't get much out of it. I then got a Velo and found that it fit me better.

From my limited knowledge a VX and a JVX (specially made from all sail material) are two very different canopies, with the latter having much better performance..

True, but when it comes to competition speed and distance, I guess my ultimate question is - what if the PD guys flew all sail JVX's instead of Velo's, would their performance increase (speed and distance wise)?

what if the PD guys flew all sail JVX's instead of Velo's, would their performance increase (speed and distance wise)?

Some of them used to fly and compete with a JVX. One of them used to be on Team eXtreme. So you tell me.

Well I don't know much about Team Extreme (last I heard the team members disbanded and went over to PD?) or their past and their past achievements with different canopies.. That's why I'm asking here (even though it might seem in some places that I'm making bold statements, but they're more of in a question form). :)

Basically it depends on who you ask.

Some will say that the JVX is the cat's meow. The best thing on the water since Jesus.

Others will say that the Velo is the best and will give reasons why.

Some will say that the Excalibur was the best and no other since comes close.

Some will say that the Sensi is the canopy that does everything and doubles as a nice air mattress to sleep with on the packing floor.

The point is, if you take the top pilots in the world, they will have their favorite canopy. They will also be able to do amazing things with just about any canopy you give them. However, if you give those top pilots the best tools, then incredible things will happen. JayMo just set a new record on a Comp Velo or some special built variation of one. Nick has set records on his JVX.

So, everyone has a canopy, not a canopy for everyone.

Dude, what's with your hard-on for the JVX?

You don't even jump an x-braced canopy, but you seem sure that the JVX is the holy grail, and the Velo is the big imposter.

Just get it over with and spend the night with a JVX. Towel it off with a damp cloth in the morning, and get back to living your life.

This is because PD lured in all the best pilots with their sponsorship..

I wonder if those pilots flew all sail JVX's...

hey... do yourself a favor, stop saying dumb stuff and making yourself look like a fool.

I can see his point. Obviously you can't. I ask a similar question to one of the members of the PD team(still is) a few years ago, something to the effect of "which canopy do you think is best for swooping". I expected him to say Velo, of course. Off the record he told me "it's more about the pilot skills than the canopy". (obviously he was talking about cross braced swooping type canopy's, not a Spectre)

This same person was in canopy competitions (and flying a non-velo canopy that he swore by) before he became sponsored by PD. And several times he did finish in the top 5 or ten on the non PD canopy.

Guys,

Quit the brand war. The only one out there is the one in your heads. There's no doubt that the pilot makes the wing perform, and I believe any of the top pilots would do well under the either of the wings.

Sangi, I suggest you post more cautiously, you are dangerously close to trolling. Posting intentional inflammatory comments (you have a history of this) will not be tolerated.

Consider this your one warning.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team