dhracer33

full stall, 7 vs. 9 cell

Can anyone tell me what happens if you hold a full stall on a 7 cell canopy? 9 cell canopy? Both canopies would be non-elliptical and lightly loaded. Someone told me years ago what happens when you do this, and I remember each canopy having a very different response. Of course the best way to find out is to go out and do it, just figured I'd find out what I'm getting myself into:P

I haven't stalled enough different canopies at different wing loadings to be sure of this answer.

But I think there is a tendency for the higher aspect ratio canopies, typically 9 cell ones, to have the tips pull back into a horseshoe, as one physically drags the outer trailing edges downwards and inwards, and the outer sections stall first.

The lower aspect ratio 7 cells, at least the older F-111 ones, tend to stall more across the whole span at once, staying more rectangular in the stall.

Not sure how, say, a big Triathlon or Spectre or similar newer canopy would react.

While there are variations in just how the canopy looks, the overall effect still stays similar -- canopy dropping back relative to the jumper, partially collapsing to varying degree and shape.

Differences in canopy behaviour don't fundamentally change how to recover from the stall, which makes dealing with it easier.

(Yes of course canopies will differ in how quickly and squirrely they react, so one wants to build up skills and familiarity at lower wing loading before stalling at higher wingloading, but the concepts are the same.)

Better answers welcome.

Full stalls are great fun but it is always a good idea to try them above your minimum cut away altitude just in case you have a problem with the recovery.A friend of mine had a really low cut away after his pilot chute caught some of the lines during a stall.( and this was on a docile 7 cell canopy)
On the picture attached you can see the pilot chute going all over the place during a stall.
wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com

My Triathlon 160 loaded at 1.3:1 folds in half backwards (tail-to-tail). The rate of descent picks up and the heading wanders around gently. Recovery is easy with no tendency to dive or get into line twists.

My Velocity 111 at 2:1, on the other hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7q1-XK3K1Q

use your rears next time if you want better control :P

I did 2-3 tests on my Samurai 120 @1.9 this summer. On toggles it would stall on one side first, drop a little then surge to that side, but then I'd also stop it. I can't say for sure how it is on toggles.

BUT, on rears..damn! I'm not kidding when I say that I had to pull the rear risers all the way down to the 3-rings to have it in a full stall... and the stall characteristics, well..it went straight down with just a little wobbling to the sides. It didn't even rock and flap so violently as any other 9 cell I've flown has(not that it is so many though). I was amazed how it worked. It was super controllable. I've could have used it to sink straight down if I wanted.

Airlocks rules! B|

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no