tetra316

Swoop pants (from head protection thread)

So with the other thread about the importance of head protection a comment in there about roadrash got me thinking. "Swoop pants" usually only come just below the knee. Why is that? Full length pants offer MUCH more protection in saving your skin and seem a lot more practical not to more mention safety oriented like helmets. Are the shorter pants a fashion trend or something? Or am I missing some important memo:P

Drag. that lower pant is a lot of drag at 60-70 mph. Try to stick your hand out of the window of a car on the freeway. Feel the drag from the sleeve or even flip your palm to the wind and then flat. The surface of the pants is much much larger then that. As someone worried about drag but wanting more protection I would either wear dirt bike pants or regular swoop pants with thick knee-high soccer socks, possibly with shin protection installed or just plain old jeans in a tighter fit at the bottom. Looking cool IS important, no doubt. But I am MORE worried about my skin, then looking cool :)

I got my Fox MX pants off of a clearance rack at a bike shop in Elsinore, California for $45. It took me about an hour to cut off the logos I didn't want and sew on my sponsor logos and my RDS pocket. You would not believe how many times they have prevented injury just from sliding in. I have a really nice set of logoed Bomber swoop shorts (with RDS pocket) that I wear at beach comps and other places where I am unlikely to get injured sliding (or am unlikely to slide). Either way, the places that get the most wear are the ass and the outside of the calves (where all of my leg tattoos are). Up top, I have lost skin on my palms. the outside of my forearms, and elbows in competition. MX Jerseys work great there too, but they are a bit floppy for most competitors these days.

Chuck

Agreed, MX pants are the shizzle! I wore them for the first time this year at Nationals and they made a huge difference. The only time i swoop in capris is on work jumps as i'm unlikely to have to slide in landings there.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

What Tara? You didn't think Smiley was sexy in those camo man-pris he made? He offered me those before the longer ones...no way will I wear em. I would have massive left calf rash right now from those downwinders all day. Did you by chance see Smiley's left calf? He got some serious rash last year down at SDO, and he still wears em. Heh, must think it'll help him......

Oh, wait.....was that a Katana that kicked the crap outta him on Sat?

SNAP!

Best thing is, I was wearing his other long pants........and if he see this...I'm sure that will be the last time.;)

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....