dbr171

Canopy Looping

I don't have enough experience on gliders to be able to explain why it is, but genarally speaking people are able to do much more dynamic maneuvers (acro)on gliders then on canopies. They are designed to creat much more lift and so I they can convert that into allowing them to do things like: loops, flat spins, SAT and some pretty wicked stalls.....

Hi Birds,
1) Mike kung only did rythmic sat during his record
2) for infinity tumbling , you need a very dynamic and special paraglider
3) Here is an inside view
http://justacro.com/index.php?m=21
and DWLD Infinity Tumbling by Horacio
Blue skies
Chris
PS : For us a barrel roll is a looping and infinity Tumbling could be a kind of looping ;)

similiar to a rollercoaster doing a loop, the canopy would have to go into a dive and not only carry enough speed but not bleed it off as you pulled it upward. I think a canopy cant respond without losing significant speed. Not to mention there would be a good amount of G force, making it hard to complete at the top. Love to see it done some day.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2617263101051108814

is he going moving backword ?? the looping??

The wing is flying forwards, the pilot is rotating backwards since they are both pivoting around a point between the pilot and the wing.

If you see a good SAT you'll see a similar effect (there are a few shitty SAT videos that are more like spirals out there).

This starts with a SAT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7omi796EmeM

Hi Birds,
1) Mike kung only did rythmic sat during his record

That is correct, but to be fair with him, meanwhile he is doing real infinity ;)

@all: And you cannot do infinity tumbling because foremost (as mentioned already) a skydive wing is not efficient enough, it would lose energy too fast while a paraglider wing suited to infinity can carry the energy through the manoeuvre, mainly because of much higher aspect ratio (thus better glide, less induced drag).

Such a glider must be extremely dynamic on the pitch axis (virtually no damping). (They will usually be very dynamic on the roll axis as well.) There are other factors as well to make a wing able for infinity, for example the trim must be chosen correctly, but I am not a manufacturer of such wings so I do not want to speculate about details.

Best, Eduard.

--
Eduard

I have understod that the kind of loops shown on the videos that needtojump posted can be done if you have a canopy that has enough speed (WL more than 1.6)

After a good dive you should start leveling the canopy with rears and then while still having a lot of forwad speed suddenly drop the other riser.

These "loops" may not be 100% pure over horisontal axis but mostly so I guess.

However I do not recommend anyone trying them by my instructions even at high altitude, since it is definetly not risk free...