Tonto

Top Rings (was Mine?)

Top rings?

If he's talking about the same rings that i'm thinking of... take your toggle line out of the guide ring on the risers and run it through a ring of the same size, except this ring is on the slinks. It lets the canopy fly in absolute full drive and does wonders for the performance. i couldn't believe the difference when i first did it to mine. of course toggles are still stowed as per normal.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

:oI'm not a world class swooper, but I do try to keep myself well informed. Furthermore, I LOVE to pick the brains of my fellow competitors at every swoop events I attend. However, this is the FIRST time I've heard of the "top rings"!!:o:S[:/]

Is this Top Ring configuration something that's not very prevalent in the US Swoop Circuit?

Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Not being from the US I don't know if it's local to South Africa, but cannot imagine that's the case. It also allows full leverage on the top of the rears, and no tail interference when reaching or pulling on the fronts - all with manufacturers trim. It's a big gain, but one must be mindful of wear from the brake line on the slink.

Peej's comment about the brakes being set as normal isn't wholey correct though, as only the brake loop is passed through the origional brake ring set on the riser, much the way the 3rd riser on trips was set up.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Peej's comment about the brakes being set as normal isn't wholey correct though, as only the brake loop is passed through the original brake ring set on the riser, much the way the 3rd riser on trips was set up.

Sorry, that's what i meant though :$

For the others, this was shown to me by Chris Beasley our current national champ and our representative at the worlds in Austria last year. I can't remember if he showed it to me before or after he left for the worlds though. Seeing as though he does a lot of research into CP stuff i always assumed that he was told about it by someone from the US.

Tonto,

My first thoughts are that this would be a really BAD idea with thin HMA. In fact any line would suffer a lot of friction damage. The constant friction would wear through 300's like nobody's business though. Then there's the slink issue as you already mentioned.

Also, I have yet to see a competitor out here with that configuration (not to say that makes it bad).

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Tonto,

My first thoughts are that this would be a really BAD idea with thin HMA. In fact any line would suffer a lot of friction damage. The constant friction would wear through 300's like nobody's business though. Then there's the slink issue as you already mentioned.

Also, I have yet to see a competitor out here with that configuration (not to say that makes it bad).

Blues,
Ian

ian - it's awesome! no additioanl wear and tear either. i've been doing this since 2005 and the feel is wicked. you take a guide ring and sew it right below the split in riser. the line only goes through this ring but you take the brake setting and feed it through the lower ring to set the brake.

it allows your hands to go up right at the top of the riser with your toggles in hand. the feel is more smooth for sure. i know dave hebert uses it as he is the one that showed me.

it is just being talked about on cp.com. i will try and grab a picture this weekend.

actually i tried it for about a hundred jumps or so.

i liked the effect on flight characteristics and the amount of freedom to reach up and grab the rear riser much higher but, as the slider came down and was making contact with the upper rings the slider grometts started to get small nicks and dents in themselves. so i stopped in case the grommets started damaging my thin lines.

nice idea tho.

Brake set shows the brakes stowed, with the steering line coming through the top ring and the loop through the origional ring set on the riser.

Top ring shows the ring set through the slink and the brake line passing through the ring.

This lineset is 500 HMA and is end of life. I have the riggers making up a new lineset for me and it should be installed within the next 2 weeks or so. Wear on both the slink and the brake line is negligible.

Remember, after unstowing the brake the toggle will travel up to the top ring and not through the origional brake ring, which is used only to secure the loop when the brakes are set for the deployment. The benefit is huge, particularly for feel on the rears, and non interference with the tail when on fronts.

t

Remember, after unstowing the brake the toggle will travel up to the top ring and not through the origional brake ring, which is used only to secure the loop when the brakes are set for the deployment. The benefit is huge, particularly for feel on the rears, and non interference with the tail when on fronts.

Wow! What a brilliant idea!

Wow! What a brilliant idea!

Agreed.

I'd like to point out at this time that it's not MY idea, and that I'm shocked that so many really good CP's have not seen it before.
This is not new. It's been around here in SA for at least 2 years.

t

Hey ... been using this set up on my velo's for a few years now and can report no downside to the mod

Have taken the mod a bit further forward by havin a loop stitched into the riser ( between riser and ring tab) so that I can ( Like the brake set up on a strong tandem rig) just pull the added loop through the brake line loop and then through the ring when setting the brakes

This takes care of the only worry that i had - excessive wear on the Brake loop - that said I havnt actually had any excessive wear

Sorry if my description is a little difficult to follow - I will post pics as soon as I can

Also agree that this is not that common a mod ... maybe only a handful use it in the UK

Flipper

Ja T

just watch for small nicks and dents on the inside of your slider grommets.

You sound like a prophet of doom.:)
Some people still have great big metal links up there that are a lot more bashable that a free floating ring.

I don't have grommets. Since I have a removable slider I only have rings, but I'll keep an eye out for wear. These lines are being replaced every 300 jumps or so, and as I mentioned earlier, a new set is going on with no such damage to the old set - but thanks for the warning all the same.

t

It looks like it cos only the loop comes through the ring. That way the toggle doesn't have to get past it, and the ring still provides the integrity to take the load required during opening without jamming the toggle.

t

It's not, it's just important that when using this system and stowing your brakes you stow the brakes as if the line was going through the normal guide ring, ie. pull the toggle loop in the steering line through the ring and stow the toggle. When you release the toggle the loop goes back through the ring, if i expalined that well at all :S