Tonto

Top Rings (was Mine?)

out of curiousity, for those of you who use this set up how long are your risers?

There was a prior tendency I noticed for people to use very long risers - and in so doing moving the ring further up the riser to allow the same feel.

I'm using standard 20" risers from Mirage.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

i know of a few people out here on the west coast (USA) that do this but they usually have the standard 20-21" risers. i have 23's and don't have any issues with performance reaching all the way to the slinks but it might be kind of interesting to try.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I am trying to visualize the potential benefit and can't really see any, but since it's so simple to rig, I might as well see for myself.

yeah, i'm in the same boat. let me know how it goes
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

i think this is something hard to describe but land once with it and i reckon you won't go back.

taylor, of course you can take a look.

i think sewing the ring on the riser is smarter though. it stops the possible slider grommet on metal and lays more flat for pulling down the slider over top.

Read the thread. All the concerns are mentioned. Wear on the slinks that may fail as a result, wear on the brake lines, damage to slider grommets resulting in accelerated line wear or damage, misrouting/mis stowing the brakes resulting in malfunction, etc, etc.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

What if you put some sort of loop or something like a slink on to the riser and connect the ring to that rather than putting it on the slink that is connected to your lines? Just a thought, have no idea if that would be applicable.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

What if you put some sort of loop or something like a slink on to the riser and connect the ring to that rather than putting it on the slink that is connected to your lines? Just a thought, have no idea if that would be applicable.

What if sewing a little piece specra line on the top of the riser as a "guide ring"? It would not be leaded in normal use anyway.

That's probably a better idea than running it through the ring on the soft link. The slider comes down and smackes the ring, that in itself does not cause any alarm.

Any time the tab, or ring is outside of the riser, epecially to the outside, the slider grommet can mash against the portion of line wrapped around the ring. If it causes enough wear to fail the link, that would be bad.

It's not a high impact area but it's not a lot of material holding the ring either.

Also, sometimes the line running through the ring will also rub across the portion of line securing the ring in place.

I honestly don't see TOO much of a problem, but give it is possible to fail that link prematurely, I would make it the way you suggested.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Hey,

didn't pack my canopy on Sunday B| so I could make some pictures, too.

Nearly every swooper has it here in Germany. First time I saw the modification was in Empuriabrava December 2005 and got the mod the same day. Last time I was in Empuria some swoopers from the UK saw it and modified their canopies, too.

It feels great when you are on your rears and just have your rears and the toggles in your hand (got 22 inch risers and my arms are stretched out to the end of the risers which I like most). A month ago I jumped a friend's rig which doesn't have the mod and it feeled so weird. Couldn't stretch my arms fully (well maybe longer risers will do the job, too).

Our mod is a little different. We have the ring between the first loop of the sLink so it can't move around a lot. Don't see any reason for more wear on the steering lines.

blues
Tobi