Tonto

Mine?

Yeah, it's funny, but they're not as in control as they think they are. There are 9 of them, landing in all directions within about 10 seconds of each other. The fact that they have goten away with it every time so far makes them think it will always be so. (And they really, really need to add some slack to their brakes. It's like watching a hobbled horserace - Pegasus style.)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Yeah, it's funny, but they're not as in control as they think they are. There are 9 of them, landing in all directions within about 10 seconds of each other. The fact that they have goten away with it every time so far makes them think it will always be so. (And they really, really need to add some slack to their brakes. It's like watching a hobbled horserace - Pegasus style.)

It does not sound healthy. Its better to watch from the ground than being a part of it.

Sigh... I know.:(

Watching us swoopers 4 out on a run in from 5000ft, making aproaches 25 - 35 seconds apart, one by one, I realised just how different our view of canopy flight is from this team.

I don't think anyone in the 8 way has less than 1000 dives. Several have 5000 plus. Clearly they are not debriefing their landings when they watch the video. Just as well the Porter only takes 10. Less chance of me being up there with them.

t

So being the responsible individual that you are, I suppose you have approached said individuals and discussed their haphazard landing habits? What's that pot......What color is the kettle?:P

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I ran a seminar based on the recent trend of incidents, and outlined the risks I thought we were exposed to at our DZ. Some of them were present at that seminar. I have recieved some feedback which I have forwarded to the CI and the Instructor body.

See the attached document.

t

You mentioned that there is video of this correct? Hats off to you for the seminar but I have found that there is nothing as reinforcing as making on the spot corrections and if you have video of it, even more so. What's that about bats? You have bats in your landing pattern there? Well there's your scapegoat mate, blame it on the bats!:P

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

At our DZ we kind of think of it this way:
- If you're a Canopy Pilot, you do that and exit around 5k in nice order and separation, do you stuff and come out as a hero.
- A swooper however takes his small canopy in with the traffic from 12k with all the rest and still demands that He, as an individual, has the right to do a at least a 270 downwind in front of the packing area/manifest/bar whatever is closest...- zipping in between the fuc*ers who do straight in or even the pathetic 90 approach!!

The sad shit is that in this issue, as always, the ones being serious tend to be flagged as the mass and suffer from it. That's why I think there is a significant difference between the Swooper and the Pilot.

just a few pennies,
T

(And they really, really need to add some slack to their brakes. It's like watching a hobbled horserace - Pegasus style.)

I got back from some canopy coaching with Luigi Cani last week and the first thing he made me do after my first jump was add 5" to my brake lines... it makes such a difference and you really start to notice the problem in other peoples canopies when you realise that! :)
I honestly thought that the bucking in a dive was just how a canopy flew.
:$

I honestly thought that the bucking in a dive was just how a canopy flew.
:$

You're not alone. Many people with a lot of dives don't know much about their canopy outside of the way they normally use it.

t

When JC and Luigi did some coaching for swoopers at our DZ in 2004, almost ALL of the SWOOPERS needed longer brakes!

I do a lot of video for swooping competitions, every now and then I see another one with the top of the canopy going all wavy :S

When I sold my Spectre last year I got comments about the brake line length :D

ciel bleu,
Saskia