Casquito

Swoop Vertical Speeds

had a chance to jump an airtec data logger couple weekends ago with my velo 90 at 2.35 doing a 450. highest speed was 82+mph which occured just under 300'. also had a 74mph run that occured right at 250'

just thought i'd share my experiences.

Note: i am NOT starting my 450 turn at 250-300' so don't try that, it will kill you.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Thanks for sharing this because Airtec talks about multiple 360s and I thought I was safe by doing "only" 450s (which I still probably am when I am not wearing any weight as my wingloading is closer to 2.0:1).

Since the regular Cypres 1&2 activate near the 78 mph speed, I'm more and more thinking about migrating to the speed cypres; hopefully they can perform the upgrade (on a cypres2) during the first revision, I'll just keep switching it off when wearing weight for swooping until then..

Thanks for sharing this because Airtec talks about multiple 360s and I thought I was safe by doing "only" 450s (which I still probably am when I am not wearing any weight as my wingloading is closer to 2.0:1).

Since the regular Cypres 1&2 activate near the 78 mph speed, I'm more and more thinking about migrating to the speed cypres; hopefully they can perform the upgrade (on a cypres2) during the first revision, I'll just keep switching it off when wearing weight for swooping until then..

I believe their response was multiple rotations above 1000 feet. That'd include 450's.

I think getting a speed cypres, laying off the big rotations, or turning off your cypres on jumps you'll be doing 450's is a good idea.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

also wanted to add that i wore the data logger behind my back in very close proximity to where a normal cypress would be held in a rig. also, these jumps were done at sea level on a normal windy 80 degree florida day.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

As the line between freefall speeds and vertical flight under canopy becomes less and less distinct, the statements and conclusions from the section below are still valid for the vast, vast majority of skydivers. However, additional fine-tuning of extreme vertical approach landing technique involving multiple 360's starting above 1500 feet by a handful of jumpers, has resulted in exceeding the activation design criteria of Expert CYPRES / CYPRES 2.

I kind of assumed that by starting a 450 below 1500 ft I might be safe. Thanks to Stu I am now reconsidering this. :S

I think a viso canopy speed reading isn't the same that a cypress reading...
I have a friend of my DZ who has VX 78 with cypress and he is doing a 450... I think he reachs more than 78mph on the viso...We will try it this weekend...
I'll let you know what are the viso readings...

I have a friend of my DZ who has VX 78 with cypress and he is doing a 450... I think he reachs more than 78mph on the viso...We will try it this weekend...

What is the difference between use and misuse? Is that Life and Death? :S

Why to use a life saving device out of its operation envelope?

I would really recommend he didn't do that, especially if he's initiating above 1000 ft. Either turn it off or get a speed cypres.

This has already killed one person, more have done tests and fired a cypres, it's no game.

Blues,
Ian

Ian,

Hey. I'm loading my KA 107 at just under 2.0 now with lead, and I am really interested in what my vert. speeds are with 270's. At my first 270 with that increased WL, there was a noticable difference in ground rush and speed. Did you recall what your speeds were when you were jumping the KA with that WL (if you ever did). Whenever I am doing H&P's, its off, but its sometimes very difficult to resist the swoop on altitude jumps when the Cypres is on. I'm up for a new Cypres in the next couple years and plan on selling mine before its dead to offset a new one. The big question here is to go with Cyres2 or Speed Cypres. Keep in mind, I will not be jumping a KA at 2.0 forever....at some time I will be moving to a Velo.

ps. Mass Craptrometer Phat Analyzer. ;)

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

Brad,

I think it depends on a couple of things.

First, I don't know if you're capable of generating enough speed on a KA 107 to fire a regular cypres with enough rotations. I haven't done any speed tests with the 107 I jumped a few times, but it might be worth doing :)
As far as cypres choices go I think it depends on a few things. First, if you're not going to do anything more than 270's it's a non issue. It's only with multiple rotations above 1000ft according to AirTec's blurb. So if you don't ever intend on going more than a 270 then it's a non-issue.
The next thing is usage, for some people who do regular altitude loads it's more practical to have a regular cypres (which covers more options) and not go big on altitude loads. Then when doing hop n pops just to turn it off. Pro's and con's there too.

I guess the problem is that there's no clear cut solution. Personally I have a speed cypres and use it on altitude and hop n pop skydives. I acknowledge the risk that it would probably not fire if I cut away low, or had something crappy happen around the 1200 foot marker.

I think in the end, it's down to what you're willing to accept as a risk (be that a misfire, or not firing at all) and how you use the device on each jump.

Blues,
Ian

Well, I WAS going to be doing 450's this season, but since it got to such a crappy start weather wise, and I've only done a handful of them so far....I'll be sticking with the 270 again this season. Next year will be a new thing for sure.

As far as testing the speeds of the KA at 2.0...if you have contacts with the right equipment, I would be happy to do some testing on the behalf of KA owners for some peace of mind. Let me know, or just give me a call.

Later.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

I don't know why Airtec don't make a Swoop device, which detects the opening and shut it off (stop monitoring and goes to stand-by, ), something like Argus is doing. I think it's more reasonable to make a device which you could put it on a swoop mode, which can automatically detect the opening and stop monitoring, than raise the speed for make it fire, like the cypress speed...

edit:spell (English is no my language)

not that iis a big deal but i got a 52 mph on the viso.

i have been in the low 40's but have bumped my heght up more and more and slow my turn down more and more and it yeilded a higher speed. i hope its accurate becuase it felt the fastest i have been so far, to date.

crossfire2 loaded 1.51 about.

Chris

yes i have datalogged vertical speeds above 80mph jumping an onyx canopy loaded 2.66

this was recorded on our high speed datalogger (much more accurate than recording audiables)...

-
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)