DocJames

swooping 1:1

There are many variables that go into one's decision as to when it is appropriate to begin learning how to swoop. Given that all requirements are met, my question is strictly concerned with wing-loading: At a wing-loading of 1:1 what are the affects swooping has on a canopy and is it dangerous to swoop a lightly loaded parachute? Is there a minimum wing loading to swoop? I realize the end result of swooping a 1:1 (if it is not dangerous) is going to be far from what we see at a higher wing-loading, but are the general principals the same and if not what are they? I understand that speed greatly increases and reaction time is shortened but what are the dynamic aspects, that can only be mastered at a higher wing-loading?
canopy collisions are bad

Swooping any canopy is dangerous. It's all about learning your canopy up high before you bring it down low to the ground and keeping things within your skill and experience levels.

What are the four forces of flight on a wing? Lift, Weight, Trust and Drag. A larger lesser loaded canopy generates a lot of drag and because of this there is less trust and thus less lift (meaning you don't really swoop all that far before your canopy looses it's lift and it stalls). The canopy's recover arc will be shorter meaning that the turn will need to be a little lower to the ground and it is more important for someone new to swooping the canopy to keep one's turns small on such an under loaded canopy. But it is also equally very important for new swoopers to be learning on these larger under loaded canopies. Because you will make mistakes and the larger canopy will save you. They saved me. I started swooping on a Sabre2 190 (1.1:1 wingloading) and it saved my rear end at least once and then I have another 3-4 Sabre2 170 saves. Learn on the larger canopies before you fly the small ones. It's the pilot not the wing.

There's video somewhere out on the net of Scott Miller swooping a Sabre 230 or something like that. It's pretty impressive. He does a 270 a gets a good 200 feet maybe more it's been a while since I've seen it. So an experienced pilot like Scott can really show you what the canopy can do. But for people starting out it's really important to learn your canopy up high before you bring it down low to the ground and keep your turns small.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

yeah I would say learn to wring out your canopy up high first....then really work your pattern and accuracy then find a coach :-)

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

What are the four forces of flight on a wing? Lift, Weight, Trust and Drag.

For some reason, that really tickled my funny bone.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

What are the four forces of flight on a wing? Lift, Weight, Trust and Drag.

For some reason, that really tickled my funny bone.;)

Oops ... I need a proof reader. I meant "Thrust" not "Trust". My fingers and my brain don't always agree with each other. I have a real bad habit of typing "you" when I really meant "your" as well. :)

Anyone want to touch on the fact that he's only got 52 Jumps?

No offence broseph, but I don't want to see anyone pound in weither it be under a crotch rocket or a pillow.

Take a canopy course and learn your canopy before you start thinking about swooping.

Ask yourself why you need to swoop before you get into it as well.

Make sure you can bring it straight in and land on a teacup doily before you start whipping front riser approaches.

Just like all things in skydiving, its better to be safe wishing that you could do something rather than being broken and wishing you didn't.

Just my 2 cents
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

Wow, I think $25,000 per year served is a pretty raw deal when you consider the mental trauma/humiliation/loss of freedom for all those years. I feel really sorry for the guy.

If you don't trust your canopy you shouldn't fly it, let alone swoop it:P

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Anyone want to touch on the fact that he's only got 52 Jumps?

Yes I noticed this right away. But he had a valid question:

"my question is strictly concerned with wing-loading: At a wing-loading of 1:1 what are the affects swooping has on a canopy and is it dangerous to swoop a lightly loaded parachute?"

Given that, I don't see anything wrong with trying to answer the question. Isn't information better than nothing?

Practicing set up and accuracy is perfect;

He didn't post about learning to set up his landing though, he was asking about the mechanics of swooping a larger canopy.

I've just gained more respect for canopy flight recently and when I posted the post above and my post in safety and training I guess I went a little crazy on canopy pilots I precieve to be operating out of their experience level. I just want people to stay safe and in the air.
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

OK, I'll bite then. I have a whopping 208 jumps. For the past 35 or so, I have been jumping a Sabre1-120 that I just got relined which I plan to stay on for the next year or so. I have played with fronts somewhat, doing 90's or maybe even 135ish on final to get some speed and have played with using rears and then finishing the flare on landing to get the longest glide/surf/swoop/whatever. It seems that I usually always start the 90 too early - which I suppose is much better than late.

So, what really then is a "swoop"? A glide above the ground of at least X feet? Any other related advice welcome.

Ever good landing on a modern design canopy has "swoop."

A swoop is the term used for describing the level flight achieved during the flare process. The act of swooping is using a maneuver to increase the natural speed of your canopy to lengthen your canopies swoop.

Most people don't call most landings a swoop, unitl someone does a 90 or better turn and swoops atleast 20ft or so. Is that right? Well, not technically. Is it accepted as right? Well, kinda yeah.

As for you with 200-ish jumps using rears and transitioning. I don't doubt that you're having fun with them and you might be getting something out of using them; however, I'm willing to bet that there are other more important techniques for you to work on that would have a more drasticly positive effect on your swooping.

Get coaching and get video for debriefs.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ever good landing on a modern design canopy has "swoop."

A swoop is the term used for describing the level flight achieved during the flare process. The act of swooping is using a maneuver to increase the natural speed of your canopy to lengthen your canopies swoop.

Most people don't call most landings a swoop, unitl someone does a 90 or better turn and swoops atleast 20ft or so. Is that right? Well, not technically. Is it accepted as right? Well, kinda yeah.

Sweet! I may have gotten a couple of 50fters!

As for you with 200-ish jumps using rears and transitioning. I don't doubt that you're having fun with them and you might be getting something out of using them; however, I'm willing to bet that there are other more important techniques for you to work on that would have a more drasticly positive effect on your swooping.

Get coaching and get video for debriefs.

B|
I'm sure your right...the amount of this though will depend on my own goals and economic factors though.

208 jumps in 3 years? Wow... how incredibly current.

I got in a couple of jumps last weekend - did you? I have 81 so far this year, 69 last year and the rest prior before I owned gear. You say this as if I'm trying to do 270s, jumping a crossbrace and swoop ponds...which I'm not.

At least her numers are public.....B|

You might judge her by numbers and we can by your statement.

Thanks...but you still need to hit yourself for referring to me as a chick...or I could get Amazon to hit you and Hexadecimal even harder. :)

I got in a couple of jumps last weekend - did you? I have 81 so far this year

I did 10-ish this last weekend, maybe 12? That's not including my weekday jumping. For the year I've got 600-700 jumps so far, I'd have to pull the logs on my Neptune to see for sure.

You say this as if I'm trying to do 270s, jumping a crossbrace and swoop ponds...

I am or atleast I'm trying to do them well.:D

I know you weren't responding to me, but I wanted to make a point about what was said. Swooping, even just doing double fronts or 90s is dangerous and it requires you to be incredibly current. 7-ish jumps a month isn't current by any stretch of the imagination. Atleast not current from a swooping point of view.

If someone wants to learn how to swoop they really need to be jumping every chance they can get, they need to get coaching and really focus on their canopy control. 100 jumps a year is just enough to stay quasi-current in skydiving skills that you have a reasonable understanding and ability in. Its not really enough to learn a new skill set very successfully or safely. It *can* be done, but it will be incredibly slow going and not very productive.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks...but this brings up something I've been wondering for a little while that I don't think has been covered.

When I read any of these suggested WL charts, I see nothing about jump frequency - just # of jumps. I know this is not what they mean, but it almost implies that I should have immediate carte blanche license to go purchase a crossbrace once I hit jump #x01 (or 1 more than the limit of the chart).

Hex says "currency". I'm guessing he really means frequency. I'm plenty current. The SIM says I need to do at least one jump in the last 60 days for an A License holder. I need to study my C License requirements so I can push this...you know, in the unlikely event I move out of California.

Semantics aside, I haven't seen anything yet that recommends like: Regardless of total jump#s, if you jump <50 per year, then your WL should be <=1.0 and square canopy planeform, <100 per year <=1.2 and square or semi-elliptical, blah blah (just an example).

I don't know; even if I had the money, I don't know if I would really jump much more than around 100-150 per year, desire more than around a 1.4 WL, fly a Sabre2 and continue my mini "swoops". Still, there seems to be many unresolved issues with the whole spectrum from DGIT to the overly cautious. The most elliptical canopy I've flown was a Nitron...ironically at around 20-30 something jumps, but the WL was a sport 0.9 at the time. Most aggressive would probably be the Sabre2-135 while wearing 12 lbs of lead thrown on me for a RW load.

uspa currency rules arent what is being discussed here...whats being discussed in canopy currency...

i did abotu 300 jumps this year to date...that was less than expected, interestingly enough I progressed, due to some early season coaching and some good bunches of jumps together...what I would recomend is to find someone like JP (if he is out at perris this winter) and ask him these questions, he has a great amount of knowledge and safety wisdom and is someone that I respect personally (as well as many ther on here, but I know that he used to jump at perris)

Cheers and be safe sister...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

When I read any of these suggested WL charts, I see nothing about jump frequency - just # of jumps. I know this is not what they mean, but it almost implies that I should have immediate carte blanche license to go purchase a crossbrace once I hit jump #x01 (or 1 more than the limit of the chart).

Every year for the past few years there has been a "risk" quiz in a(early year) Parachutist about how high risk you are under your parachute. It takes into account WL, canopy size, total jumps, jumps under that parachute, blah blah blah. I'm sure you can dig up a 'risk' quiz online from them or another manufacturer.

Just to chime in I have done about 650 jumps this season, and 625 of those under my Velo.

...what I would recomend is to find someone like JP (if he is out at perris this winter) and ask him these questions, he has a great amount of knowledge and safety wisdom and is someone that I respect personally (as well as many ther on here, but I know that he used to jump at perris)

I'M A GUY!!!!

Yes, I know JP - he did my first tandem!