raymod2

video from 2006 CPC Championships

I have finished putting together a video from the 2006 CPC Championships.

The video contains every run of the competition (well, there were a couple that were missed) and shows the setup, approach, and landing. I also added subtitles that shows the competitor's name and his/her score for that run.

The video was shot with a Sony HDR-HC3. That is a high definition camera that records in 1080i. Since the source resolution is so high I was able to drop every other field instead of deinterlacing it to produce progressive video at 29.97fps. The resolution was still pretty high so I downsized it by 20% for a final resolution of 768x432 (which is still higher than standard definition DV). Then I compressed it using H.264 (MPEG4-AVC) video at 750kbps and AAC audio at 120kbps. The result looks pretty good with little or no noticeable artifacts.

The length of the video is 79 minutes and the filesize is 500MB. Skydivingmovies.com refuses to host the file so if someone else is willing to host it please contact me. In the meantime I will be sharing it using P2P file sharing on the ED2K network. Here is the link:

ed2k://|file|cpc2006.mp4|521741892|F89EF78AE4A737EE4BB4A48DE1CB3A82|/

You'll have to cut and paste this into your ED2K client. Sorry, I couldn't make it clicky because it kept getting mangled when I tried that (it insisted on putting "http://" in front).

Try searching for
cpc2006.mp4 or
F89EF78AE4A737EE4BB4A48DE1CB3A82 (which i believe is the file id) from eMule (or another) p2p utility.

I found the file but there is only one source, so eMule has not downloaded a single bit over night... Hope someone can host this file.

A torrent would work best for this.

Bring a copy to the dz and I will set a torrent up for it.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

As I mentioned in the original post this file contains H.264 video and AAC audio in an MP4 container. This can be played in any DirectShow media player (such as Windows Media Player) but you need to have the proper codecs installed. You can use the Haali Media Splitter and ffdshow (both of which are free). If you have a slow computer and the video stutters you might want to try CoreAVC. It's not free (last I checked it was $9.95) but it's supposed to be the fastest H.264 decoder out there. Your other option is VLC. This is a media player that will play just about any file without needing any codecs installed at all.

All the info in one place:

Direct Link to file. (Some changes I'll be making over the next few days may mean that ray's instructions above fail to work).

Use VLC to play it if your favourite player doesn't.

Note: VLC has the handy ability to play videos in slow motion, something many other software players lack. Dead handy for debriefing 4-way exits B|.

There is a missing part between 0:59:55 - 1:00:11.
Black screen with changing yellow subtitles from the distance1 part.

There were three speed runs and four distance runs for which I didn't have footage. I used a four second blank clip for each of these runs so you could at least see the names and scores.

What quicktime plugin is that? Im curious as to why my quicktime doesn't play it. I have the latest pro version. It recognizes it as a h.264 video and it is supposed to be able to play h.264 but i just get sound. Any ideas?

And Dan thanks for putting this together. Very useful.
adam