superstu

anybody else notice this addition?

yeah, i'll be sure to follow your advice LOL

He made a great point that some people here behave like kids (for all i know they are kids) "My toy is better then your toy"... please
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

JC was offered a position on the PD team over a year ago and also as far back as the PIA Symposiums in San Diego. He may have preferred to join the team last year, but because of his deep commitments and loyalties, he stayed with Icarus. I think it's great that he was given another opportunity to join the PD team. Each one of them are great guys, very goods friends, and pilots who can show the potential and capabilities of the PD canopies.

Says you. I think those comments show a poor understanding of the fact that this is the Swooping and Canopy Control forum. If you are not passionate about swooping you should probably be reading the Bonfire forum.

Ya know, the more I think about this comment, the more ignorant it sounds. I am not a great swooper, in fact, I downright suck in comparison to some. But I have fun doing it and I do take it seriously.

I have no intention of ever becoming a world class swooper or even doing much competition. I swoop because I enjoy it and I like the challenge. But to suggest that if I am not passionate about it, then I should stick to the Bonfire and not come in the Swooping Forum, is just plain ignorant. Heck, I occasionally wander into the Wingsuit Forum, and I have never even tried one. Does that mean I shouldn't go in there? And I certainly hope no one ever reads the Freeflying Forum unless it is their passion.

This is the kind of attitude that this sport, and swooping especially, could really do without.

Come on guys. Lets relax about this. Chris is right, it's just swooping - we're not curing cancer. Instead lets all try and remember that we do this for fun.

Yes, we all push one another to be better pilots, yes we all have our 'favorite' canopies and yes sometimes people are going to disagree, jump something else, whatever.

Try and remember we're all a part of something bigger and more fun than this bickering. I honestly believe all the canopies out there are good - each one catering to a different style or preference.

So hit up the dropzone, lay down some sick swoops this weekend and have fun boys and girls :)
And JC, congrats on the opportunity. I look forward to flying with you, and everyone else, this upcoming season.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Chris, when you read the Wingsuit forum do you tell them that they shouldn't discuss wingsuits because wingsuit flying is just for fun and they aren't ending world hunger? I'm not questioning your passion for swooping. I have seen you post here a lot and it is clear that you do love the sport. I think you get my point and you don't need to call me ignorant. It's no big deal, though. I was going to let your comments go but then Frost jumped in with his inane post and I couldn't resist.

PD snatches up all the top pilots and they fly Velocitys because they are paid to do so. So Velocitys win all the major swoop comps and people assume it is the best canopy. This makes it harder for smaller companies (ie. Daedelus) to innovate because they have trouble making back the money spent on R&D. Even if they come up with a better performing canopy people end up buying the Velocity due to the flawed logic above.

Chicken or egg - which came first?

Does PD sell lots of canopies because they have all the top pilots (your words - not mine), or do they have all the top pilots because they can afford them because they sell lots of canopies?

Canuck

JP, you're right, money does not grow on trees, but of all the sponsorship that we see in skydiving, I think this is the money most wisely spent. When Airspeed wins, nobody, with any sense about them, thinks it's because they have PD canopies, or Javelins, or Tony Suits, etc. All have negligible affect on their freefall performance. If JC wins the next worlds, right or wrong, lots of people are going to think that him flying a Velocity had something to do with it, and head straight out and buy one. PD is banking on it. Other companies should maybe learn from that.

Canuck

Nope, I usually don't jump in on the Wingsuit discussion. But then again, I haven't come across the bickering like I did in this thread, and that is what I am talking about.

this thread is amusing me. the only bickering I saw was the bickering about peeps bickering.:D

never actually saw any bickering about JC going to P.D.:S

so I guess this means there is an opening at Icarus. When are tryouts?B|

If by Icarus you mean Team Extreme, that team was disbanded several months ago.

Not sure what Clint and Luigi are up to, but I'm sure neither of them will have to "self sponsor" either.

Canuck