CanopyPiloting

SLATON/HALL ACCIDENT DETAILS

SLATON/HALL accident story - February 22, 2006
Added by: Jim Slaton

“I would like to say thank you to all my swooping mates, friends and family who I have the greatest amount of gratitude. Thanks for never letting me forget my dream of flight that continues to this day”….Jim Slaton

Before the accident- In typical fashion, Jim and Duane were creating a new form of flying focusing on parachute flocking or “paraflocking”, the art of having a leader with an individual or a group following close behind. This particular flock would be cutting edge exploring the potential of freestyle swooping. Jim and Duane had spent months following each other. Jim found it best to lead from a “Blind man” (180 degrees from the direction of flight (in the harness), this allowed Jim to explore the most efficient body position while maintaining eye contact with the followers at the same time. Jim typically flew this position for minutes during the flight coming out of the “blind man” only for landing about 100 feet above the surface of the ground. Jim and Duane flew this flock 3-4 times successfully the same day before the accident. Jim knew before impact with the surface that he had made an error in judgment that would change his life.

(Sunday) February 12, 2006- The group was coming out of a recent GL camp and the GLC had just graduated 5-6 GL-1’s and our newest GL-2 (Anthony Levey). Jim and Duane had performed the same flocking maneuver 3-4 times that day already and had no ideas this time would be any different. The pair launched themselves with their Daedalus GLXs and Jim quickly kicked a Blind man and took the lead. Duane followed closely being filming the flight for the next DVD in the “Gravity Pilots” saga. The flight continued on for a minute or so and then Jim realized the pair was over the landing area at about 75 feet. Jim slowly (not the best idea) spun a 180 in the harness to face the same direction as flight for landing but the speed of the harness turn was to slow allowing the canopy to slowly dive and turn. The result was a canopy wrap at about 60 feet. The pair had enough time to consider a few options and pray for the best. “All I could think of was distributing the load. I figured if I could absorb the impact over a large enough area I could reduce the damage”…Jim.

I was able to hit the ground laid out on my left side but the fall was too high and the GLX was ready for the challenge. The GLX Shape got better throughout the fall to crash with almost no distortion in the airfoil. The GLXs got efficiently faster and was creating less drag with each passing second! Keep in mind Duane was flying a GLX 130 and I was flying a 135. High performance crew had never seemed less appealing. A couple things you never hope to never ask yourself in flight as a pilot…

#1-In the air wishing you was on the ground.

#2-In an entanglement wishing you had more altitude.

#3-Wondering if the other pilots understood your body language.

What could have prevented the accident?-A basic hand and arm signal. The most basic of all hand and arm signals within the skydiving community….the break off signal. By the leader giving a basic “break off” signal the followers can get themselves out of the way of any last minute maneuvers performed by the leader. Jim knew before impact with the surface that he had made an error in judgment that would change his life and the future of the sport.

Fate has terrible power- On Impact Jim lost 21 grams of weight and 3.5 days of his life in an induced coma from head trauma. Six bruises on the frontal lobe of the brain to be exact. Evel Knievel, the American motorcycle daredevil from Butte, Montana, made his most famous and life altering stunt in 1968 when he attempted to jump 151 feet across the fountains in front of Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. Successfully clearing the fountains, his landing was a disaster, and his injuries put him in the hospital in a coma for 30 days. Evel later said it was the most painful recovery process he had ever went through and provided him with years of rehabilitation. Evel Knievel also took the time in the hospital from the accident to calculate some of his more famous jumps that would put him on the map as an American Icon.

Jim Slaton and Duane Hall together broke as many bones (many the same) as Evel Knievel did on the fateful 1968 jump across the fountains in Las Vegas...more at http://www.canopypiloting.com

Hi there Jim and Duane,

Here's Gerard from France.
I was refraining from sending you guys emails of "get well soon" because I suspected that Cindy was already receiving too many emails/phone calls..

But now that you're back on the Internet: Get well soon and heal as fast as you can. All my thoughts are with you guys (especially because I haven't yet recovered 100% from my first GLX bite 3 months ago B| ).

Thanks for sharing your story and I can't wait to meet you guys again!!!

As we say over here: BON COURAGE!!!

hey, i know your sorry ass will be at the farm in march. free of charge i will give you some canopy coaching:D:D:D Lets plan a get well party for ya!
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

best pming them. dont call as hes all fucked up on pinkillers and that..Not that you can tell the difference..lol Theres a slot for you on the couch in the swamp whne you get better you fucking cu!@
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Thanks guys, I will be in Houston over the next couple months before the PST season starts. I will be available for a serious competition training camp for CPC pilots and other swoop amatuers interested in learning more about the sport, as well as, tips and tricks from the tour. DZs intrested in such camp should contact [email protected] as soon as possible. Slots/dates are limited for this type of training....Jim

Unfortunately, I have always written like this because I am usually trying to say to much in such a short time. I will hold several competition training camps for both amatuers and Pros during the 2006 season. I will be available for some coaching while in Houston over the next couple months. If your serious about the CPC or PST and want to learn the tricks of the trade please contact me. Cheers....