Jonsmann

The worst HP swooping canopy

Nitro/Nitron both would glide as much if not more then the Stiletto.

If you are really wanting something with a horrible glide you are going to be short on canopy choices.

The Diablo actually swoops quite well for its design. They plane out and glide fairly decently with the right pilot. That said in the hands of most pilots they break at about the same rate as a Spectre. Its how you flare will determine how well it swoops. If you are a stabber it will shut down right away, if you milk it you can get any canopy to glide with no extra input.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

According to Icarus' website the Omega is still made, I too think that it would be a good canopy to look at for what's wanted, but he stated he thought it flew like a dog.

I think it would be worth a demo if its been a while since he's flown it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

the reason you cant find what your looking for is because it doesnt make sense. theres no market for a high performance snappy eliptical 7 cell that lands like an f-111 lightly loaded canopy. for one i agree with others that its impossible to have a steep groundhungry wing that can just "stop" and not convert that downward speed to forward speed aka glide. you for some reason disagree.
whats most baffeling to me is what do you have against planing out gliding a bit and then a nice soft touchdown. why would you want all that performance up top but then want a canopy that basicly lands like shit to the rest of the skydiving world at the bottom. it doesnt make any sense to me. but hey what the hell do i know. i do know that you dont really understand modern ram air parachutes. otherwise you would see why you cant find what your looking for. the flight characteristics you desire would work against eachother if this canopy existed.
you mention in your original post not wanting to sound negative. id say you sound more aggressive especialy tword swooping than negative.
i am now curious to jump a diablo. reason beeing you feel this canopy is closest to what your describing. you have very low jump numbers for how long youve been in the sport, so keep that in mind when your buying and demo'ing new canopys. depending on w/l a nitro is pretty aggressive for someone avg 30 jumps a year.
good luck finding a non "swoopy" new parachute.
>

I think it is a little pointless to argue if it is possible or not when I am currently jumping a canopy doing it just fine!

whats most baffeling to me is what do you have against planing out gliding a bit and then

That is ok I don't expect you to understand, but try reading Lisa's post.

id say you sound more aggressive especialy tword swooping than negative.

I don't like to swoop, whatever you like is your business! If you see that as being aggressive then so be it.

Jacques

I have the new slogan for the Diablo:

"A fast, ground-hungry canopy that swoops like crap!"

I wonder why they stopped making them?:P

Just a joke. But seriously, it does seem like an odd request in a canopy. I think that is why there is so much debate. But if that is what you want, then I hope you find it.

"A fast, ground-hungry canopy that swoops like crap!"*** You got it mate, that is what I want! Really! :)I know very few people can understand why, but that is ok. Over the years I have tried many different canopies and I guess what I like pretty much comes down to "A fast, ground-hungry canopy that swoops like crap!".

Jacques

I'm definitely not a swooper, and I don't jump a high performance canopy (lightly loaded sabre2 135). But with my canopy, if I flare a little bit high and slowly, I can bring it down to a very very soft, very slow landing. If I flare a little low and more quickly, it gets a little bit of a swoop. It's not really any different, I just have the option of allowing it to really plane out or not. Couldn't a higher performance canopy do the same thing?

I understand a desire for a fast, maneuverable canopy that lands slowly... I just don't understand why it has to have a steep glide. Don't ya like making it back from long spots?

Dave

I'm definitely not a swooper, and I don't jump a high performance canopy (lightly loaded sabre2 135). But with my canopy, if I flare a little bit high and slowly, I can bring it down to a very very soft, very slow landing. If I flare a little low and more quickly, it gets a little bit of a swoop. It's not really any different, I just have the option of allowing it to really plane out or not. Couldn't a higher performance canopy do the same thing?

Hmmm ... sounds like it's the pilot who is in control, not the canopy. ;)

Oh and while the Sabre2 isn't going to win any swoop comps all on it's own, it can be flown as a high performance canopy just as a Spectre can. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The Diablo is a one-of-a-kind canopy! It does more or less what you describe and require: its fast & funny, (but can be quite a handful at deployment >:( - take care dude). It has a decent swoop if you know how to! B|

Well, to go beyond that, you should stick to 7-cells and I would suggest the Icarus Omni as the only way to go

Happy hunting

I have never jumped one and don't know how they perform but from watching other people jump them it may be an option

A PD lightening snappy turns super short recovery arc and land aweful, Could be the pilots I have seen.

"Now I know why the birds fly"
Hinton Skydivers

Oh and while the Sabre2 isn't going to win any swoop comps all on it's own

A Sabre2 loaded at 1.7:1 will outswoop a lot of canopies, though. Toss a good 270 and BAM it takes off, surprisingly so.

IMO the Sabre2 is the best all around canopy on the market right now. Lightly loaded its a great beginner canopy, for instance good for someone with a fresh A-license. Moderately loaded its a good canopy to start learning high performance landings with. Loaded up to about 1.7 it'll swoop very well with good speed and enough distance to surprise you.

What about a Lightning? I've never seen anyone (other than possibly Rusty Vest or Chris Gay) swoop one of those. Then again, they're really not high performance, although they do meet all of your other requirements.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

IMO the Sabre2 is the best all around canopy on the market right now. Lightly loaded its a great beginner canopy, for instance good for someone with a fresh A-license. Moderately loaded its a good canopy to start learning high performance landings with. Loaded up to about 1.7 it'll swoop very well with good speed and enough distance to surprise you.

I think i read that about another canopy somewhere. . . <><> :D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I think i read that about another canopy somewhere. . . <><>

Well, sure I've read that before about that other canopy, but my personal experience with that other canopy was very very bad, infact it almost knocked me out and never opened well. I've yet to have a Sabre2 slam me or do anything but open well. I know it can happen, its happened to jumpers before, but I'm just talking about personal experience.;)

my personal experience with that other canopy was very very bad, infact it almost knocked me out and never opened well.

When I had a demo, one of the jumps was a tandem video, and after the landing/interview, the TM pulled me aside and asked if I was OK. He said he saw the opening from under canopy, and it hurt him. It did that one more time, and after that (shitty) landing, I cut it away and left in in the landing area.

To be fair, I wasn't using a tiny pilot chute, and I wasn't in a head down track. What a joke.

You would think that if PC size was a factor they would send you a PC with a demo. I didn't get a PC. Or risers. Or links. Thats right, no links. It was in a plactic bag with all the lines flyin' free.

I guess there is balance in the universe. For every company like PD, there must be a flip side.

I'll second that! Good openings, long recovery arc (compared to Stiletto), and powerful flair. An amazingly versatile canopy! I kind of miss it.... [:/]

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!