gus

Do you watch your openings?

What are peoples thoughts on watching your canopy as it deploys? A couple of people, more experienced than I, have told me recently that I ought to get out of the habit of watching my canopy deploy. They think that looking up makes you more prone to off heading openings and twists and that it's better to look down and feel the opening through the harness. I like to look up because I like to know what's going on and if I get twists I'd rather they were infront of my head than behind.

Thoughts?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I would suggest you to observe the airspace in front (and a bit above) you during the opening. That way you are ready to turn away immediately if someone opens near you. It takes only one to make an evasive manouver to make a collision not true, but if you both are looking your snivelling canopies, there is no one to do it. Also by looking straight ahead your shoulders should be more level than if you start concentrating to what you see instead of concentrating to what you feel through the harness. Just my thoughts...

Vesa

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

As soon as I feel the snatch I look up to watch the deployment. I also look forward a couple of times during the snivelperiod to make sure nobody is in front of me. And I keep my hands close to the rear-risers to be able to avoid possible obstacles.
I suppose this increases the chance of dissymetry and off-heading openings, but with my current canopy and WL I have not had any problems.

>erlend

I used to watch them all the time... I got a few "jerky" openings with my camera on, which tweeked my back/neck, so I stopped... on highly loaded canopies, IMO its best to not fight through the openings, just roll with them... I've gone 360^ around with an opening, that if I had been watching I would have tried to control, and surely would have resulted in line twists.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I used to not watch my openings at all. In fact I was asking for whiplash if I did watch them on my Stiletto 150. I now have a Crossfire2 119 and I can safely watch my openings with no problems. I don't stare at the snivel per-say but glance at it during deployment.

Scott
I read somewhere to learn is to remember and I've learned we all forgot

I really improved my on heading openings when I quit watching my openings. Now I try to keep my shoulders level with the horizon while keeping an eye out for other canopies, I rarely have an off heading opening. I also find I'm more relaxed in the harness now that I'm not straining to look up.

if I get twists I'd rather they were infront of my head than behind.

Gus,

If you get a lot of line twists in front of your head, then there's a good chance you will not be able to look down to see your cutaway or your reserve handles easily. Emergency procedures are: Arch, look, reach, look... etc. So personally I'd rather have the line twists behind my head, pinning my head down looking at my cutaway & reserve handles.

Then if you cutaway a spun-up main... one that's behind your head will lift away from you without resistence, but if the risers are in front of your head I'd expect them to slap or grab part of your head on their way up after a cutaway.

Chris

I really improved my on heading openings when I quit watching my openings. Now I try to keep my shoulders level with the horizon while keeping an eye out for other canopies, I rarely have an off heading opening.

Hey I'll have to try that...I always watch my openings and usually end up quite off heading.

I watch every opening and the space around me, I also have my hands on the risers as soon as it is humanly possible. I have consitent on heading opening but feel it is better to police the weird ones with rear riser input if necessary.

~Chachi

Yes, but the choices in your poll don't really fit with what I think.

I stay square until it is out of the bag, then I look at it. That just may be a glance to make sure it is doing what it should. If it is spun up, I have just a couple seconds, or less, to do something about it before it goes to hell. If it is a nice square snivel, then I can go about my business of checking trafic, etc.

----------------------------
bzzzz

I definitely watch my openings each snivel. My Xaos-21 opens great and every now and then I get off-heading openings, but they aren't whippy or anything. I actually can steer my openings with very little input most of the time. Being aware at all times of the skydive is critical of course. Keeping your eyes open to the airspace in front, above, and below you is vital. All canopies open differently and everybody's preference whether to watch their openings are different as well. Have fun, fly safe, and do what works for you!
Jason Jerusalem
[email protected]