Skylark

Small Canopy

Sorry if this should go in the 'Gear & Rigging' section.

I'm ready to buy my own rig.
I have 140 jumps.
I only weigh 60kgs (130 lbs)
I'm not interested in swooping or hook-turning
I feel confident under canopy
My last 40 jumps were on a 170

Question: Would it be safe for me to purchase a 135 canopy with my rig? Or would it be essential to go for a 150 first? Remember, I'm only 60kilos (what would that make my wingloading on a 150 and a 135?)

I can't find any DZ that has hire gear 150 that I could test for 30 jumps or so, and I can't afford to purchase a 150 that I would sell second hand after only another 50 jumps or so, which I'm sure I'll make in the next few weeks.

What do you all think?

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience

Your wingloading would be 1.15 on the 135 and 1.03 on the 150, assuming 60kg=130lbs and your gear weighs 25lbs.

I would definately not jump straight from a 170 to a 135. Your wingloading is not that extreme, but anything smaller than a 150 is going to be a very responsive canopy reguardless of your loading.

You should really try to borrow/rent a 150 for at least a few jumps. Have you asked your instructor for their opinion?

You could always buy a used 150 for that amount of jumps... it wouldn't depreciate much at all with that number of jumps on it. I bought my spectre 135 for 950, and sold it 80ish jumps later for 900, just something to think about

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

What do you all think?

What do the instructors at your dz feel? I know of people with similar stats who've done just fine under a 135. I also know of people who were lighter on bigger than 135 canopies who broke things. It's all about the pilot :)
I, personally, would have you under a 150 for a little while so you can slowly step down to the 135 if that's your goal.

and I can't afford to purchase a 150 that I would sell second hand after only another 50 jumps or so,

I'm sure you could learn a lot on the 150 after more than 50 jumps - don't put a number on it, but rather a skill expectation. The great thing about canopies is that you can often sell them for close to what you paid for them if you buy them, and keep them, in good condition (also buying a more popular make will make it easier to sell).

I've always used my previous canopy to finance my next with relatively minor out of pocket expenses.

Hope this gives you some direction or ideas.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Skylark,
I say if you feel the need to ask the question, go for the bigger canopy.

I hate to hear comments like :
There's a lot of wind today, with that big canopy you will go backwards.

Everytime I have jumped in high winds I have said I would also jump with a student canopy, no problem.

You can either fly the canopy or you can't. If you are not into swooping (which you should not be at your jump numbers) then why go smaller?

I think a 150 would be great for you and you could jump it for the next 500 jumps.

Just my opinion , ho hum
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

The reason I'm interested in going smaller, is the harness. I only want to buy one harness, and one small enough to fit me (I'm very slim) and feel comfortable when I freefly. Is it possible to get harness that will fit both a 150 and a 135?

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience

Is it possible to get harness that will fit both a 150 and a 135?

Absolutely. Talk to the manufacturer about your planned canopy sizes and they'll help you chose the best one.

I've only owned 2 containers my entire skydiving career and I've jumped everything from 170 to an 84 in them (not the same container of course).

A general rule of thumb is that you can fit one size bigger (albeit with good packing ;)) and one size smaller than the intended size. So if you bought for a 150 you should be able to fit a 170, 150 or a 135.

Hope this helps.

Blue skies
Ian

That's exactly what I did. I had a harness/container built for a 170 and then put a used 190 it. The manufacturer tells me I should have no problem putting a 150 in it down the road.

I think the general rule is that 1 size up or down from what it was built for is acceptable. I have seen people push that rule much farther though....

Is it possible to get harness that will fit both a 150 and a 135?

Harness/container systems are sized in two different ways. The harness is built to fit your body. The container is built to fit the canopies you intend to put in it.

In most modern harness/container systems you can safely go down one to two canopy sizes from what it was built to hold. For example if you have your container sized to fit a 150 main you can easily and safely put a 135 main in it; with a few exceptions (the Voodoo comes to mind) you could also easily and safely put a 120 main in it.

Size your canopies, both main and reserve, large enough that you know you can walk away from a landing in a worst case scenario under either one.

I'm thinking it would make more sense to go with the 150. 170 to 135 is a pretty big jump, even at a lighter loading. And there's nothing that says you have to move down after 50 jumps. Learn to fly the 150 completely. Master all the points on Billvon's downsizing checklist before you move down to the next smaller size.

The 150 may not be as sporty, but what's your hurry? You may be able to land the 135 safely 99.99% of the time, but the one time you get into a tight spot, you'll be glad you took the time to get the proper experience.

Just my 27,250 Turkish Lira....

I weigh exactly the same as you. At 75 jumps I bought a Spectre 150, traded it for a Spectre 135 after 120 jumps on it plus about 30 jumps on a Lightning 143 and some on a Tri 150.
The 135 felt fast to me for like 3 jumps, then I got used to it.
For me the 150 was plenty fast to learn on (I biffed the first 9 landings). And this was a Spectre.

If I were you, even if your instructors say to go for a 135, I'd jump a 150 for a couple dozen jumps... The changes keep getting bigger: even tho your wingload won't be high, these aren't big canopies so they have quite a bit of performance, also the percentage you're downsizing is quite high with these smaller canopies. Skipping say a 210 in between a 230 and a 190 is nothing for someone your weight. However personally I wouldn't downsize 20% in one go...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The reason I'm interested in going smaller, is the harness. I only want to buy one harness, and one small enough to fit me (I'm very slim) and feel comfortable when I freefly. Is it possible to get harness that will fit both a 150 and a 135?

Since you're in Europe, may I suggest an Atom 00. Will fit a ZP 150 (and a hybrid 170), ZP 135, ZP 120. I have one, and the only canopy I have/have had that does not fit in it is my Lightning 126 which packs up too big... It has held (at least AFAIK) a Merit 170, Spectre 150, Sabre 135, Spectre 135 and a Safire 126. The Spectre 150 was a tight pack but that was mainly my fault (new at packing ZP and a new canopy to boot).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I've only owned 2 containers my entire skydiving career and I've jumped everything from 170 to an 84 in them (not the same container of course).

In my old Javelin J1 I put everything from a 170 Silhouette to an 85 Cobalt with no problem. The 85 made me look like the hunchback with the 143R reserve though;).

In my old Javelin J1 I put everything from a 170 Silhouette to an 85 Cobalt with no problem. The 85 made me look like the hunchback with the 143R reserve though

HA!! Henceforth you shall be known as.....Quasimodo!!

That's called getting your moneys worth dude :)

Stay safe

Blue skies
Ian

I should really ask an instructor, yes. Anyone else?

As an AFF Instructor and a Skydiving Gear, er, uh, professional, I would refuse to sell you a 135 in this senario.

PM me if you want a free gear consultation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

This question is better left to someone who is familiar with your canopy piloting skills and your ability. I'm not sure how someone that has never seen you jump and land a particular canopy can give you advice about what is good for you. There is more to choosing a canopy than wing loading, which many people think is the only factor to consider.

Check billvons list of skills to practice before downsizing.

http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=792344;search_string=canopy%20;#792344

You've heard it before, you'll hear it again........ask your instructor (or someone familiar with your ability)