Jumpmunki

Wanting To Learn .. Long And Boring, my opinions

cross posted from the canopypiloting.com forums
this post contains ranting and some views other will disagree with .. if you disagree with them post WHY you disagree rather than having a go, it might help people understand why ..

----------
ok heres the burning question

from jump 1 there is emphasis on stability, getting good at FS etc.. there is always someone willing to talk to you about 8way or freeflying. i LOVE my canopy time, but it seams taboo to talk about wanting to be a top swoop competitor some day with only 100 jumps, concentrate on your fs i rememeber a guy saying to me, i did and found it challenging but got my fs1 and moved to something more relaxing... i think that skydiving is great.. but the parachuting part is the best bit.. that ground rush!

just because i have around 100 decents under canopy (i say around because i jump every time god gives me a good weather day, which is rare..... the bastard ) so just because i have 110 jumps why am i told to slow down.. or to concentrate on something else.....

some of the top russian gymnasts started when they were 5years old... and have a longer peak for cometition.. if i wait till i have 7000 decents before i start learning.. i'm going to be going grey and not have the pysical mobility to be able to swoop, where as if i learn (correctly i might add thru coaching and such) NOW then i can have a longer time to practice and a longer time to be at cometition level (if i get that good... i might blow at it you never know)

on all of my jumps i like to have an aim.. something to concentrate on (not as intense as airspeed) but still something to think about.. and latley it's been sitflying and trying to surf more than 25 feet on my zp exe ....

i don't want to rush out and get a vx 46...
i want to progress in something i'm interested in and think i could really enjoy and focus on

recently i've been digging around for a different canopy to my ZP exe 155 (a little too sluggish as far as i've seen) i've fronted it i've toggled it i've even biffed on it doing a 360 very low (no injury dug myself out) just to try and fly it to it's potentioal
i think i'm either doing something really shit and not flying it properly OR the canopy hasn't really got the performance i want. even compared to a sabre 1 170 it's slightly sluggish on the toggles

i was going to help out a mate , he was getting a different 2nd hand rig and needed some cash to help get it.. the main was a stilletto 150 so i was going to test jump it and find out if i could handle it then maybe buy it rather than downsizing. now i didn't just connect it up and then go jump it i dug around for as much info on it's flying charactaristics as possible asked guys who jump it or have jumped the stilletto, and thought i'd made an informed choise to jump it, even after i had asked the CCI (DZO) he said your b licence you can jump whatever you like.. it's nothing to do with me..

then i looked for the info and hooked it up.. repacked her correctly and then as the lift was going to be called oer the tannoy comes lift 1 kit on .. and wayne don't even think about jmping that stilletto.. over the tannoy ....

in hind site maybe i should have got hold of a sabre 150 and tried to wring that out as opposed to a step up.. it would have been like jumping a 120 sabre when mormally i would jump a 170 in terms of the stillettos performance compared to my ZP exe

so i'm looking out for a safire or other tapered canopy to jump and learn the fundamentals of canopy piloting. i think that by doing this i am learning progressivly but not agressivly.. you wouldn't learn to use a wood lathe carving with a screwdriver would you? you'd use the correct tool.. a chisel.. i thought about a comeback someone would make if i said that "your more likley to cut yourself with a chisel tho".. well yes you are.. but your going to be alot more careful with it and aware of what it can do than with a blunt screwdriver...

i look upto you lads out there now doing it .. some getting paid, some for fun... be honest with me ..

should i keep doing my freeflying pulling at 3 and then joining the pattern and landing straight in sometimes falling over or landing nowere near i want to like alot of the people i've met?.. or should i really aim to do what i want to and progress to being an exceptional canopy pilot some day?
does it really mean that if you don't have X jumps you shouldn't even be thinking about how to perform hp landings and to concentrate on the freefall section of skydiving? simply because "your too young" in jump numbers?
--------------

I've seen a jumper on a 170 Triatholon loaded 1.3, out swoop a stilleto flyer on a 135 loaded 1.8. Its not the canopy, its the pilot. A smaller elliptical canopy wont make you a better swooper, 300 more jumps on your current canopy will. You can learn the same things about canopy flight on bigger safer canopies, without the increased risk of injury. If you want to be a swooper, I think there is nothing wrong with setting your goal early, just understand, its not how you react when things go right, its how you react when things go wrong. The next 400 jumps you make, things will inevitably go wrong, atleast under a larger canopy, you will have more breathing room in your decision making. Remember, its not the canopy that can kill you, its the ground. They call it "Terra firma" for a reason, the ground is firm. The one word I would consider when thinking about canopy choice is IMPACT. How much of an IMPACT do you want to make in this sport? Just keep it in mind. Best of luck with your decision. Choose wisely.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

should i keep doing my freeflying pulling at 3 and then joining the pattern and landing straight in sometimes falling over or landing nowere near i want to like alot of the people i've met?.. or should i really aim to do what i want to and progress to being an exceptional canopy pilot some day?

I think you are confusing "being an exceptional canopy pilot" with being a "swooper". Neither of which "need" to be learned under an elliptical canopy necessarily. Until you can land your parachute where you want to, everytime, and can really fly the hell out of what you have, then you have no real reason to buy such a higher performance canopy. HP canopies as vanity purchases are simply a bad idea. Your search for a Safire-type canopy is not a bad idea on the other hand. Lightly elliptical moderately loaded zero-p canopies are docile enough that they are easily manageable by jumpers with lower experience levels, yet they respond and land much better than old worn out squares. No matter what you are jumping, there is no reason why you shouldn't strive to become a better pilot. Just remember that being able to swoop and being a good canopy pilot are not necessarily synonymous

Lurking CRWdog here,

I think you are confusing "being an exceptional canopy pilot" with being a "swooper". ... Just remember that being able to swoop and being a good canopy pilot are not necessarily synonymous

Yeah, what Chuck said. I have less than a half dozen jumps under anything other than a 7-cell and don't swoop at all, yet I consider myself a very good canopy pilot. I have quite a lot of respect for the art of swooping and those that do it, but it's far from all there is to flying a canopy.

Bob

I love the time I have under canopy...I do hop an pops all the time just so I can try differnt things with it (it helps when no one else is around and you dont have to pay nearly as much attention to traffic)
just a little note (I dont know your exact situation so dont take any of my words for gold), but crew helped me out on my canopy piloting and swooping quite a bit. while you may not be diving at the ground under a 220 cruiselite with a front riser, the time spent flying any canopy for an extended period of time, especially with other canopies of similar make and size in proximity will allow you to learn quite a bit about what the canopy does when you use different inputs. ..I am not suggesting go out and try to build a 10 stack with people that have never done it before, but if you have someone else around that flies a similar canopy at a similar loading, flying in proximity with them from full alti down to 3 k will help out in my opinion..

I wasnt saying go out and doc on the first canopy you can.. just stating that crew help me quite a bit when learning mroe inputs on a canopy. flying in proximity (no contact) is very fun and challenging... you dont have to be on the same type of canopy or wingload wither.. I have built a 3 stack with a 135 saber that was loaded at about 1.4, a crossfire 119 at about 1.6 and me on my crossfire 2 111 loaded at 1.85. like I said, though, just grab a buddy and if they are loading at 1.0 and you are at 1.6 you can hang in brakes and still fly together... (you arms may get tired) but non the less you can still fly in proximity...

So chat to you're instructors and get one of them to go through some CRW with you on the ground then do a couple of CRW jumps with you.

If they don't do it at Peterlee then go visit Hinton where there's a strong CRW element (or anywhere else that does it). I've sat through their CRW training and found even the ground element very informative. My mate then went on to do a CRW jump with the instructor and ended up docking a couple of times and finshing up with a downplane all on his first CRW jump.

Absolutely not. I can bump end-cells with my gf loading her canopy at 1.0-1.1 while I'm at 1.9. I was actually amazed at the tiny amount of input I needed to hang with her. I wouldn't recommend trying it with a Specter and an elliptical 9-cell though, that'd be a lot of work! If the canopies you're trying it with have generally high-aspect ratios, it shouldn't be difficult at all.

-Rory

but thats what i'm saying, one of us will need to have CF1 in order to fly close to someone else.. no?

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

just bringing this thread back upto date,

i now have 180 decents many many hop and pops and am jumping a sabre 150, i've stood my ground and have held myself back and back.

i currently use the 90 degree front approach and am happy at the moment feeling that speed,

now towards the end of my landing which is consistantly happening i feel like when i apply the toggles to land i jab them too quickly and slow down, i'm not talking about digging out, i'm talking just to fly level with the ground.

i feel as if it's washing off speed i could use in my surf and i'm not sure how to get around it...

i'll post a link if anyone would care to have a look and try and advise me as to what i'm doing wrong

i've done a few bits of crew and really enjoyed the experience, as well as bumping end cells and regular non contact flying with a buddy, i'm really enjoying my canopy flight and looking at ground launching as an extra activity to extend my canopy skills

Many many thanks

Post the video. If its anything like what I was screwing up for probally 300 jumps I was holding the turn/risers for way too long and was too low so that even was I was trying to level out I was having to get way into the toggles to avoid biffing it and that then was killing any distance I had. Once I started learning the canopy more and playing around I figured out the height I need to be at for more distance.

Last jump I did about 2 weeks ago if there were 5 foot gates I would have probally did 60-70 feet off a simple 90 front left. Granted it was cold so I had better density altitude to work with too.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

"i've even biffed on it doing a 360 very low"

-weeee... I dont want to be naggy, but wtf? There is a reason people tell you to gather some canopy time before doing stunts like that. In Sweden we have a rule for hookturns that says you must have at least 500 jumps before your first hookturn. Again, for a reason. In that way, thousands of people will be pissed off becouse they cant hookturn, and maybe one life will be saved.
My advise to you is to get a canopy you like, in a size that doesnt scare you and fly it until its falling apart. I`ve jumped my current canopy size for 500 jumps, and will be jumping it until I feel i know it. Seeing someone in a canopy, whatever the size is, not beeing able to control it does not impress anyone (except whuffos). Seeing someone who actually know their canopy inside out even if its a monster huge maverick, thats impressive!

In my opinion its almost what I predicted it was. You are going from full toggles up to half breaks in 1 or 2 frames, then there is pumping of the toggles after that. All the pumping is doing is killing your swoop. You probally also had another 2-4 inches of flare left on the canopy. You put your feet down too early and were left with forward speed to run out when you could have converted it back to lift.

With out seeing the approach its not too bad, what were the winds doing that day?
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I want to see your other video and some others opinions to be sure I'm right but in my opinion you need to slow down a lot more in your applicaiton of the flare. You moved to the half break point so fast that it starts to lift you up which you counter by putting the toggles up a little then having to pull the toggles back down to keep the canopy from surging.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Slow and smooth young jedi, tis the way :)
Start the flare a fraction sooner (too soon and it'll suck). You want to start swinging under the nose of the canopy at the same height you're doing it now (not to be confused with flare height), but just smoother. If you start just a fraction higher it'll give the canopy enough time to swing you under the nose without the abrupt input.

Focus on smooth controlled inputs throughout the landing. You want to do as little as possible as smoothly as possible to conserve energy.

Also pay attention to what Phree said. "Flapping" won't do any good so if you find you've put in a touch more input than you wanted and start to rise, let it lift you rather than lifting the toggles. Also Phrees comment on feet down too early was spot on.

Otherwise it looks safe, which is more important. The decent rate wasn't high or excessive and your hands were all the way up letting the canopy fly. Nice job. Keep on practising :)
Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

That point of view is best for this kinda stuff actually. You can see the pilots body in relation to the wing.

See how your body is in front of the nose of the canopy but it's still descending just a bit after your input to level it out? That's a good indicator of a late flare. Start it earlier and smoother.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team