sarge

Your Canopy Risk Quotient? :Parachutist 03/04

I am guessing that even the pros would be in the high risk numbers in this survey, so what is the point exactly? High performance flight is a higher risk factor than other canopy flight?

Exactly what I thought at first, so I did the calculation on somebody at our DZ who jumps a Velocity 90 loaded at up to 2.4 depending on how much lead he is using, he scored 32. So the survey has got the flexibility to make people safe on highly loaded cross braced canopies.

I on the other hand got a 23 if I based the figures on my Sabre2 from 1 month ago, on Saturday I am picking up my Katana, and will go to a 46.
Whilst I think this is bollocks, it does bring home to me that I have got to be careful for the next 50 or so jumps while I learn the new canopy. OK I already knew that but I still think this could be of value to some. The way it is structured, you really pile on the points if you've just got a new canopy.

here are the questions. hope you can read them (acrobat reader).

The score categories are:

11-25 comfortable
26-35 average risk
36-50 high risk
51-76 scary

a generous someone with patience and fast typing skills 'could' fill in the score descriptors...:P

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks for posting that! I hadn't seen it yet.

At the moment I'm high risk - 45 points and I fly a canopy loaded at less than 1.0. :o Since I'm far from current at the moment, I did it again using my stats from 2002. 37 points - still high risk.

Just for laughs, here's the breakdown.

Experience and currency - 22 points now, 11 in 2002.
Canopy information - 9 points now, 9 points in 2002.
Training experience - 14 points now, 17 in 2002.

The only differences between now and then are my currency level (less than 50 jumps in the last year; 2002 I did over 150), the fact that I moved to a new dz last year and haven't done many jumps there yet and the fact that I took a canopy control course in December of 2003.

Interesting. And fairly accurate, in my case at least. Points out the areas I need to work on if I want to reduce my risks under canopy - jumping more and spending more time/jumps on canopy control exercises.

Cool, thanks for posting that. I got a 35 which puts me right on the border of average and high risk since I just changed what canopy I am jumping and have less than 50 jumps on it. Seems fairly accurate in my case.

It's interesting though since I jump a 120 that if I downsized by 1 foot I'd be in the high risk category.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I got a 38...
but still think I am "quite" conservative...
willing to learn more though.
not pretending that I AM INVINCIBLE or THE BEST or saying that thiskindoftestmeansnothingbecauseI'mabovethat...
got warned by the test, I'm in the Risk area, so I'll do my best to avoid risks.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I think it is kind of interesting to note that the test only considers jump #'s and WL separately. Some 100-jump wonder could load an elliptical at 1.5+ and still score average.

I answered the questions very honestly and scored 32. I was kind of expecting to be a little higher than that.

It's interesting though since I jump a 120 that if I downsized by 1 foot I'd be in the high risk category

I had some consternation regarding that particular aspect as well. Concerning that it should be well considered by the author of the article that the only mfr that offers a cookie-cutter size less 1sq foot is Icarus.

I wondered if my canopy, the xf2, was specifically targeted?

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

I think it is a good learning tool for folks, if anything it gets them thinking about their canopy and getting some canopy coaching.

In the interest of privacy I won't publish the original e-mail I received from another dz.commer on this subject, but this was my reply:

"I have a very similar attitude about the USPA actually. Also, I expect that the USPA Letters and Viewpoints Department is due for a deluge of feedback on that article. I am well aware of the political environment at the propoganda factory, LOL!! I'll be interested to see what they choose to publish...

I totally agree with you about the grain of salt thing! However, I still maintain my opinion that the questionnaire is worthy of some merit. The reason is, I am really concerned about the campaign to encourage wing-load and high performance flight restrictions. Its my belief that there are way too many newer/less skilled canopy pilots that are are drawing focus on this issue due to canopy-related incidents. An example of how this has affected me personally is that my home dz, SD Chicago, now has a 1500 jump minimum to use the primary landing area!!! Hinkley has a 300 HP minimum to use the swoop lane (that I don't mind of course because it keeps traffic down for me).

As you point out, its important to keep the questionnaire conclusions in perspective. I'm not losing any sleep over it but I do wish more people would be more considerate of how they're screwing it up for everybody else. If the target audience, "high-risk cowboys" think that they are immune from serious peril, they will likely be the first to discount the article. [I am reluctant to discredit the article in ANY way primarily because I don't want to give support to opposing arguments against the credibility of the questionnaire]

In the final analysis, I think the article has more credibility than the pilots who have delusions of grandiosity. Its kind of a cool way to get the attention of some of them though!!!

Thanks for the message ,

-Doug

p.s. I think I might copy ths mail to my thread... LOL!!! "

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

Regardless of how scientific or accurate this is, here's my numbers:

11 - Experience and Currency
17 - Canopy Information
7 - Training Experience

35 - Total

which puts me at the threshold of the Average/High risk categories which in all honesty if you don't factor in that I jump in Colorado, is pretty darn accurate of where I think I'm at with my skills/experience. :)

But there likely needs to be more questions concerning how you fly your canopy, where you fly your canopy, what sort of DZs you jump at, etc, etc, etc.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

scored a 37. Which I can agree with, seeing as how I chowed in last summer. But that event, all be it ugly, really opend my eyes, I am so much more likely to err on the side of caution now. The ground is hard, and it WILL hurt you.
I plan on going to a canopy piloting school soon. Ive been hearing good things about them.
anyone else?
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Experience and currency:8
Canopy information:20
Training experience:8
Together: 36

Just what I would have expected on my new Crossfire...when taking the numbers on my old Sabre though...

Experience and currency:8
Canopy information:12
Training experience:7
Together: 27

Very interesting, I'm gonna take a copy to the DZ this weekend and see what I come up with...
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

I totally agree that this survey was not perfect, but I think it was a good place to start. I think it will accomplish its purpose (in my estimation anyway) to bring some sort of methodology to people's awareness of the issues that directly affect safe canopy piloting. I believe that information and training are the keys to reducing the canopy flight related fatalities of late.

I am a big guy, and I jump bigger canopies at conservative wing loadings. Most of my 3000+ jumps have been on other than zero-p canopies.

My Risk Quotient with my work canopy (a Silhouette 210 loaded at 1.21) was "Comfortable" - 25. Perfect, since I jump it at a field elevation of 1900 FT MSL, sometimes at night.

My score with my personal canopy (a Sabre2 190 loaded at 1.34), was "Average" - 30. Good news, since that canopy is the first all zero-p canopy I have ever owned.

Admittedly, the fact that I have made 106 jumps already in 2004, most of them in February, helped my score. I also took advantage of many "hop n pop" opportunities to train on canopy flight, and have been working specific maneuvers with both canopies to improve myself. That also lowered my score.

The one thing I gleaned from my results was that keeping my two canopies close together in size and wing loading is a good thing for me. I can use very similar landing techniques with both, only fine tuning them when I drop down to the Sabre2.

I will seek out a canopy piloting course this year, and I'm looking forward to the results. Even after all these years in the sport I still love to learn, train, and improve myself. It makes me a safer and better skydiver and a better instructor.
Arrive Safely

John

I guess I'll chime in with a score of 35 which is fair for me with only 193 jumps. I took a beating on wing loading, but I've had lot of good coaching at my DZ. I first bought my canopy I wondered how long I'd have to fly the sky barge before I could down size.
Now after 150 jumps I wonder how long it will take me to get to its full potenial.

I had jumped at 5 different DZs by the time I got my A at 50 jumps. To those of you that think this this survey is bogus that is your right. To me it represents that good portion of my early jumps were in the high risk/scary category and I didn't even know it.

I like the idea of risk assessment, why not place as much emphasis on canopy skills as free fall skills.
I think everyone would agree that dare devils with out solid canopy skills are more likely to pound in before someone thats paid their canopy skill dues.

blue skies

jerry

I just found this quiz on the USPA site. I scored a 45, high risk- and for me its sadly accurate [:/]

My poor result is not really gear related - just shows I need more training and jumps on this canopy- a lot more.

I like the quiz- shows me what I need to focus on- high pulls, practice maneuvers, currency and maybe a canopy course in the spring.

Again and Again....face to face with the sky - RMR