jrpayne

Front Riser turns

one 180+ degree hard fromt riser hook on my Velocity. Puts her into a steep fast dive until I plane her our with the rear risers to surf. No need to touch the other front riser.

Sometimes people who do a more carving front riser approach will start with one front riser and finish with both to keep the speed up. Really depends on the canopy and your preference. With the Velocity , it will dive on it's own until I pull it out.

I start with double front risers on the downwind leg of my final approach,slowly releasing either one of the risers(depending on left or right turn to final)to produce a long carving 180 turn to landing.
I find carving approaches work well for building up speed for my swoop as opposed to hard/snap riser turns.
My canopy is crossfire2.
It's all about building up speed to increase the length of swoop.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

I start with both front risers on my downwind leg then slowly let one up and asses wether or not I need more input for the dive vs the turn. once I get around to my 180 degree carver I usually stick back into double fronts for a second (or fraction of depending on alti) and then let the canopy plane out (with rears assist if needed) I do this so I can start a bit higher than snaping just one riser, and the slow 180 turn with double fronts seems to build as much speed as a 270 carver with just one riser. I like this approach as it gives me plenty of time to asses landing traffic and where I am going to end up as well as gives me a little extra alti to find outs if needed.

I fly a crossfire II loaded at 1.85

-yoshi

Crossfire2, 97 loaded at 1.95+.

I start the initial snap with full left front riser, half way through the turn "doesn't take long" I go into double fronts suspending ALL of my weight from the front risers "I do pullups all the time, the more I do and the stronger I get the longer I can hold in the dive. I started at 450 feet now I enter the turn at 600 feet". Conditioning makes a difference. Tucking my body up to create less drag. At this point I usually have twenty or thirty degrees left for the complete 180 so I just put a little more weight on the left front riser and the canopy flies in that direction. I have complete directional while inverted in double fronts. If ANYTHING happens on the ground or the air I can compensate rapidly.

Rhino

Set up higher than normal in brakes. This will lessen the initial riser pressure. When you reach your entry point, let the canopy surge and grab both fronts pulling further on the side you are turning toward. Use both to adjust for altitude as you turn. You should be out of the turn with enough altitude to remain in fronts and adjust altitude. Let them both up with enough altitude that your canopy will plane out on its own. If you stay in them too long, you will find yourself digging out. Done correctly, you should need very little input to start your surf. And what starts smooth, normally remains smooth. I have found this to be a very relaxed and safe approach.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

Set up higher than normal in brakes. This will lessen the initial riser pressure. When you reach your entry point, let the canopy surge and grab both fronts pulling further on the side you are turning toward. Use both to adjust for altitude as you turn. You should be out of the turn with enough altitude to remain in fronts and adjust altitude. Let them both up with enough altitude that your canopy will plane out on its own. If you stay in them too long, you will find yourself digging out. Done correctly, you should need very little input to start your surf. And what starts smooth, normally remains smooth. I have found this to be a very relaxed and safe approach.

be carefull useing this technigue.. setting up in brakes and snapping into front risers on a downwind approach could cuse the canopy to fold under., due to lack of pressure......

i have a hard time getting my front risers down for much more than a 180. i consistantly do 270's now without even touching my front risers. just lean in the harness... you will be supprized how much more speed you can get out of the canopy just useing your harness....

I can't even come close to the speed I get in a double front snap hook using just my harness.. The canopy will not invert and dive.

well i dont know what canopy you jump or your wing loading... different loadings and canopies are going to react different.

for example im jumping an 87 vx loaded at 2.1 without weight.. after deployment i move my legstraps down my legs just a bit. as if i was sitting in the harness... that way i can get much more input in the harness.. i can keep it turning and diveing long after i cant hold the front riser down anymore...

for example im jumping an 87 vx loaded at 2.1 without weight.. after deployment i move my legstraps down my legs just a bit. as if i was sitting in the harness... that way i can get much more input in the harness.. i can keep it turning and diveing long after i cant hold the front riser down anymore...

Interesting... I haven't tried it to quiet that extent.. I'll try next time..

I am on a crossfire2, 97.. Loaded almost 2.0..

I still appreciate the directional control as far as swoop lane and total airspace used I have with the double front snap hook that one doesn't have with the carve or harness turn.

Not only that the double front approach is much more forgiving where turn in altitude is concerned..

Rhino

Interesting... I haven't tried it to quiet that extent.. I'll try next time..

I am on a crossfire2, 97.. Loaded almost 2.0..

I still appreciate the directional control as far as swoop lane and total airspace used I have with the double front snap hook that one doesn't have with the carve or harness turn.

Not only that the double front approach is much more forgiving where turn in altitude is concerned..

Rhino

i jumpped a crossfire loaded at 1.9 for a long time..

you should really think about trying it with the harness.. it should react well...

the turns starts off slower but picks up speed past the point where you can hold the riser down....

it is a slower way to turn but it is more natural for the canopy .. and if you dial it in i promise your swoops will go way farther......

also you have no need to deform the canopy to make a turn...

less chance for a collapse or any other abnormality...

try starting a 270 and go 1/2 to 3/4 way with harness then pull the front riser just a bit to line you up on you approch and you will be pleased.