sunnydee123

Accuracy

If you don't want to land in the peas (?) you can take a can of spray paint (or weed killer) and spray a circle around your disk in a non-congested section of the landing area.

What I find works really well is a 5 pound bag of flour. You can make a vague little X with it, or get real fancy and measure out a circle or some other kind of landing marks. For my accuracy practice I was drawing an X and then a "start" and "stop" line five meters in front of and behind that. Doesn't kill the grass, it's non-toxic, makes a nice little "poof" when you land on it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think I am going to avoid the peas cause it is so busy.....and will create my own little target and then I can jump around like a maniac when I hit it and have everyone wonder what the hell that crazy girl is doing out there ;)...."did she step in some red ants or something"... :)
No worries......it's all good!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

I think I am going to avoid the peas cause it is so busy

Well, the whole point behind the use of the pea gravel is to provide a softer landing point... something with a little give. Traditional accuracy approaches are made in fairly deep brakes, and landed without flairing!

It's the only way that someone like Cheryl Stearns can dead center out at a meet like the recent Lew Sanborn meet, because it gives you the greatest range of control... see you're a little short, let the canopy fly more... see you're a little long, hang deeper in brakes for a while. Of course they're jumping BIG canopies, and landing on a padded tuffet!

But if you're trying to land within two meters for D requirements, you might consider a few hop and pops (to minimize other canopy traffic), and using the peas to shoot a more 'classic' approach...

But you haven't really lived until you've shot downwind accuracy approaches on a round canopy though! ;)

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Set up away from the heavy traffic area but in a place where you can set up a good standard pattern. There is no reason to need to setup a classic accuracy approach. Those hurt. Doing this accuracy shit is not just for a license. Its so you can put it down anywhere you want without thinking. You should know the glide of your canopy, set up so you can glide to your target without having to kill tons of altitude. On my hop'n'pops this weekend I was having fun with a big ball someone left in the landing area. It moved around so it made it more challenging.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Definetly. I think braked approaches, both slight and deep, can be life savers. I am leary of telling anyone to practice them until they have mastered their full flight approach. But when they have it is the natural proggression.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Hehe, I'm talking about straight ins for my entire post ... everything changes once you start using risers and have more surf and have to set up different approaches! :S

The surf on a lightly loaded canopy can be enough to mess up an accuracy approach. My Spectre 170 loaded at 1.1:1 will easily surf the 4 meters across the D-license circle in light winds, with only a straight in approach. In light/nil winds I need to pick my "spot" well short of the target.

A braked approach released to a surge flat out saved my butt a few months ago.

I was too high to continue in brakes, my canopy would have stalled about 20ft off the ground...I posted about it a while back, its in General Skydiving.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

other might discourage from this skill a skill that can save you life on a bad spot. Or prove your qualification for a demo.

First good control of the wind line. fly over the target with in 1yard left oright.

Second learn set up point selection so you part brake in within to =- 2 meters forward and back

Use the brakes a bit more.

the Sport accuacy standard would indicat go to full speed mini swope flare. Learn the height length involved

hutch

Ok OK, I guess if you flying a straight in approach with big canopy that is difficult to stall then accuracy is not really dangerous. For me accuracy mostly involves a 270 degree approach on a nicely loaded, canopy, with a planned swoop of atleast 100 feet, before making contact with 8-18 inch object. This I can tell you is a recipe for pain, unnecessary pain.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

The surf on a lightly loaded canopy can be enough to mess up an accuracy approach.

It's all about energy management. ;)

In light/nil winds I need to pick my "spot" well short of the target.

A "Sport Accuracy" type of approach, as you've described, is what I used to get my PRO Rating. Other people were using "Classic Accuracy" approaches and the folks with very light wingloading were ok and could stand them up. Sinking in a modern canopy loaded over 1:1 though might hurt a bit. I tried that last year and landed pretty freekin' hard a couple of times.

People with anything over about 1.1:1 on normal canopies seem to have a very difficult time stopping inside the PRO circle without some sort of head wind to assist them unless they learn to bleed off the speed in the flair, swoop a short distance bleeding off more speed and then touching down and shutting it down as slowly as possible.

Fortunately for the D-License requirements, all a person has to do is have first contact on the target and can take as long as he wants to stop.

It's ALL about energy management.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver