sunnydee123

Accuracy

Well now that I am working toawrds my D license I need to start really focusing on accuracy. I've been good with having to hit within 20 meters and then within 10 but now that I have to be within 5 meters I want to set a HIGHER goal for myself....I want to HIT THE PEAS the next 20 jumps. I took a canopy class with Scott at PD but he only "just" touched on accuracy. Any suggestions...should I go for hop and pops so the sky is clear and it is just me aiming for the peas? Should I continue to enjoy my freefall?

How about tips on "hittng the X".....braked approach with little flat turns? But what about the flair at the bottom?

Help please.................

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

I think accuracy may appear cool but its deadly. I have recently come to the realization that everytime in my skydiving career that I had a landing that hurt for more than a day it was involving some form of accuracy approach. I also know people who have been involved in stlye and accuracy competions and they have told me stories of people jumping with pillows attached to there butt because of broken tailbones resulting from accuracy approaches.
Yes that is me in my avatar kicking that ball. So I have played the accuracy game. But with my new revelation you will not see me doing that for a while.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

My suggestion (especially jumping at Sebastian) is not to aim for the peas, but pick a different spot for yourself (before jumping of course) not in a congested area and aim for that. That way you can freefall and not have to worry as much about all the traffic.

I took a canopy control course with Scott Miller too and his suggestion for learning accuracy is to do just a regular approach (turn onto base at 500ft and final at 300ft) and don't to S turns or anything but see where you actually land even if you totally miss the peas. By doing this you can adjust your pattern and start to get consistent results. If you do S turns or braked turns in the pattern then your pattern is not very accurate and you won't know what to do to change it, make sense? Once you have a fairly accurate pattern (7/10 or so in the peas) then add small S turns or a bit of brakes or some front risers IF you realize you are over shooting or under shooting. Plan out your pattern on the ground first, stick to it, see where you land and then make adjustments. Before you know it you'll be winning all the accuracy comps ;) Hope this helps.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I'm not looking for the "cool" appearance.... I need accuracy for D and want to know that if I had to, I could hit the "X" in a tight spot. Have had no problems "getting close" to the target...just setting my goals a bit higher. I LIKE TO BE GOOD AT WHAT I DO B|

IMHO I think that the only times that accuracy is dangerous is if you are trying to force yourself to land somewhere (you know, flare 7 feet high and drop yourself onto the target) or if you get target fixation and ignore the traffic pattern around you. I think accuracy is very important (not that you have to do it every time, but you should feel confident that you can) as long as when you practice shooting accuracy you don't try to force yourself to land before the canopy puts you on the ground. I think it's much more dangerous not to be accurate than to practice it. I've had a couple really tight off-field landings where I was very thankful that I work on my accuracy almost every jump.

Keep in mind that technically the accuracy requirements state that you have to land in a predeclared area and the peas just makes for a good general target but if you're cutting it close or you just really want that D then.. "I swear, that ditch is where I was aiming for. See? My accuracy was perfect!"... B|

Hmmm, it's Wednesday right? Bah, that's close enough to the weekend, go jump!

First, avoiding the peas is a good idea. A brightly colored frisbee on the other side of the landing area can be your own peas.

Second, people are saying accuracy is dangerous because they are thinking in terms of the classic accuracy. Braked approaches, sinking it in, etc. This was OK on 200 sq ft seven cells, but doesn't work as well on newer canopies. There is nothing wrong with trying to land where you want (in fact it's a good skill to have for off-field situaitons). The other danger is in target fixation, where you forget safety issues (low turns, looking for traffic) becasue you are too foucused on your target. Establish a hard deck for your self to be in full flight (hands up, no more corrections or truns). 150 feet is good, provided any turns below 300 feet are less then 45 degrees. Breaking this hard deck can and will result in injury, so respect it.

A good trick is to look at where you want to land once you are on your final approach. If the spot appears to be rising in your field of vision, you are going to come up short. If the spot appears to be sinking in your field of vision, you will over shoot. When the spot appears to be steady in your field of vision, but getting larger, you are on track to hit it (or get close).

But you can use the same jumps/landings for multiple licenses. Say you are going for your D and have several that meet the standard, they also count towards a C-license. Then you can use those same jump numbers for the D.

The point is if you aim for the D level of accuracy you are more likely to get C level accuracy and continue to improve from there. If you land in the center of the peas, you can use that landing for both licenses as you build experience.

Have you done the 2 or more points on an 8-way or larger formation yet?;)

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Have you done the 2 or more points on an 8-way or larger formation yet?;)

She doesn't have to do those jumps if she doesn't want to. She'll just have to do the maneouvers jump (forward, backward flips, 360s and barrell rolls all within the time limit). Hell when I did my maneuvers jump I wanted to do a forward 1 1/2 flip into a head down. Do a 360 while headdown and then a 1 1/2 flip into a sit and do another 360 this time in a sit followed by my barrel rolls. But the instructor didn't want anything to do with that sort of jump. But it does make for a fun solo jump to practice these skills on. :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

A good tip I learned a while back ago that allowed me to land on the peas almost anytime I wanted (especially on straight ins) is this ...

While you're flying straight, take a look at the target you're shooting for (IE an X or peas or a frisbee on the ground, a hat, whatever) ...

If you see the target moving down (meaning it's coming closer to you) it means you're overshooting it. It's going to roll right under your feet.

If you see the target moving higher on the horizon, that means you are undershooting it and will land before you reach it.

If you look at the target, and it's not moving anywhere, you're going to land right on it.

Basically, if you're looking at the target and it's moving towards you, you will find a spot past the target that isn't moving at all (neither up or under you). A small adjustment here and there will allow you to try and make that target not move at all anymore and you'll be able to nail your accuracy!

Hope this wasn't confusing, it's a lot easier to see when you're actually trying it out! You can even see it from a higher altitude. From 3k (about when you're open), find a building and look if it's moving towards you or higher on the horizon or not moving at all, you can tell where you'd land if you didn't do anything at all until you reached the ground.

Of course, I always used the exact pattern Quade posted on his other post!! I still use that pattern today (slightly different with riser turns, but basics never change).

Good luck and I hope you can visualize this!:S

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

Actually I thought I would get to do it in Raeford, we had a 12 way go out but don't think I can offically count the wrist grips we took after we funneled the exit and the high grips we took after the wrist grips to hold the formation tight as my 2 point 8 way...It is the only other thing I need besides jump numbers.....I'm not against going back to my belly from time to time although my heart is truly with free flying......B|

I did a 4 way with 11 points, can I sugar coat that in my log book....;)

It's all good....I can't wait for Cross Keys next weekend. I'm gonna jump my ASS off...as I have been the last month shooting for #200.

Blue ones~

If you look at the target, and it's not moving anywhere, you're going to land right on it.
:S

This is THE landing accuracy trick as far as I'm concerned. However, you're wrong! Just kidding, but really, the point that isn't moving is the point you'll hit if you don't flare. You might have to account for the surf. That is, I see that point that is not moving and know that even in a straight in approach I will basically flare at that "magic" spot and then surf right past it, so I have to account for this.

Good post though. I was scanning through this threac looking for someone to give this ultimate trick.

Hehe, I'm talking about straight ins for my entire post ... everything changes once you start using risers and have more surf and have to set up different approaches! :S

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

....I can't wait for Cross Keys next weekend.

Only 2 or 3 more hours and you could hit the ranch. Then you'll have all sorts of stories to tell. As for accuracy, when I had to I like to set up a bit long and use risers or brakes to glide and then just go to full flight when I know i will hit the target. Try not to think about it too much and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Ranch has been a little thought in my head since planning Cross Keys, don't you worry. I have a very good friend who has told me about the Ranch (and about 50 other places I should see) so ya just never know. You gonna give me tips on my accuracy or tell me what I am doing wrong when I come down and blow past my "X"?????

I'll be the chick with her name on everything ;)

I know...I know.....For the longest time I was aiming for the orange cone out in the field....away from traffic but then started aiming for the peas. Just want feel like I am "right on" if that is possible. Wonder if that orange cone is still out there? If so, that will be my "X" this weekend. See ya soon Barry!

As TB99 and billdo have described thats a very nice trick. I look abt 45 degress down from my horizon. I would suggest you to go a little further than all jumpers land so you may practise singing your canopy (a little bit and depending loading) and if you find Scott ask him. I also got training from him and he rocks.

Go for the D B|

yep, either one is a good target although one area can be a bit more congested than the other. No matter what you choose, you should have a flight plan and execute that plan. If one area is too congested and you dont feel comfortable, then go to plan "B". Pick up that flight plan from plan A (like its on a plate of glass) and move it over to be in accordance with plan b, or c, or d, etc. I am sure that Scott had told you about the plate of glass theory. Even an off field landing is an accuracy jump...some more than others:)
Also, there is something to be said for hop-n-pops. No traffic to deal with to really concentrate a bit more on your pattern.

Sunnydee,

Why don't you just make your own disk/target/X ?

We've made ours out of roofing material.

If you don't want to land in the peas (?) you can take a can of spray paint (or weed killer) and spray a circle around your disk in a non-congested section of the landing area.

-you may want to ask you DZM or DZO- I don't know how your DZ works.

EDIT: I go for the X on every jump. I set up a little short so that when I surf I can just stab it real quick (first point of contact) then continue my landing. If I'm too short, I'll grab a little rear risers to give me an added push.