CanuckInUSA

Bad Ass Swoops from an amateur

Check out my amateur bad ass swoops from this weekend here, here, and let's not forget here.

In all of these swoops you'll see that I come out a little high on my front riser carves. But it's better to be high than to be low and I've got my whole skydiving career to get better at that aspect right? :)

Date: Weekend of 7-4-03 through 7-6-03
Experience: Jumps #314, #315 and #316 (318 total in 50 weeks in the sport).
Canopy: Sabre2 170 loaded at about 1.35:1 (currently over 130+ jumps on the canopy)

Comments?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

how did you first learn to do it? and how did you practice?

I was a pretty conservative canopy pilot for my first 100 jumps. After 100 jumps I did a lot of straight in double front riser approaches, but that was because at that time I often setup high and used the risers to ensure I wouldn't over fly my targets. At about 160 jumps I attended a very informative canopy control seminar given by Hooknswoop and while Mother Nature messed with our actual jump phases of the course, Hooks ground school session was awesome for me. From that point on, I no longer made toggle turns from base to final and instead started working on my front riser 90-180 degree carving approaches. Then about 75 or so jumps ago, another experienced canopy coach observed my landings and told me to make my approaches more subtle and less snappy (snappy can come in the future when I'm more experienced) and he also got me to add harness turns to my approaches. Hook told me about harness turns in his course, but I always assumed that my canopy was too big for the harness turn to make a difference. But I was mistaken. Finally, one of the biggest contributor to my current capabilities is my currency. I have only been in the sport for 11 1/2 months, but I jump a lot (318 jumps to date) and being in the air so much has allowed myself to build up a certain comfort level to the speeds I approach at. But I have done snappy front riser hook turns in the past and experienced ground rush. But fortunately I tend to error on the high side of my carving approaches.

It's all fun. ;)

Lovely surf from a non radical input under a moderately loaded canopy - way to go! B|

Wh's the hottie in #1? :)

I think the hottie is the one who was doing coach jumps with Skratch this weekend. The coaching must have helped, since Skratch is showing a noticeable improvement. ;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I think the hottie is the one who was doing coach jumps with Skratch this weekend. The coaching must have helped, since Skratch is showing a noticeable improvement. ;)

You got that right. Cat (Catherine) is the cutie and I'm sorry but I just had to include her in the video as well as the awesome sunset show what a beautiful place we jump at. ;)

How are you able to get so many jumps in in 1 year. I am hoping to get to 100 by my one year point...and I will probably get 120 or so...But I want 300!

I've been jumping 10 months and I have 505 skydives. Its called jump and pack and jump and pack and jump and pack.... :P

Matt

Sabre2 170 loaded at about 1.35:1 (currently over 130+ jumps on the canopy)

Cool videos, and it looks like you're taking a nice safe approach to learning a technique that's maiming and killing quite a lot of folks these days...

But I have a question for you... did you start to learn these techniques while on your larger canopies (I know you went from a Tri-220, to Sabre2 190, to the 170, right?), or did you wait until you were on the 170 before you started to apply the carving turns?

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

I did a very small amount of double front riser work when I was on my Triathlon. Then a lot of double fronts on my Sabre2 190. When I was Eloy last x-mas, Pablito gave me some great canopy post opening tasks to do (you know steer with the rear risers, observe for traffic, collapse the slider, expand the chest strap, then pop the breaks and join the pattern, etc, etc, etc.) He also told me to lean forward on my flare and to flare with my arms out (watch a kick ass swooper and you'll know what I mean). By the time it was time to take Hookswoops canopy control course, I was still on my 190 but had made a good 80+ jumps on it. And it was then that I started trying these front riser carving turns. And soon afterwards I started flying the Sabre2 170. I crashed on my 2nd landing on my 170 (and wondered was I ready for the downsize), but in 130+ jumps on the 170 I have only ever not stood it up 4 times. Once on my 2nd jump, twice for my night jumps where it seemed like I came in real fast so I kind of slide it sideways. And one crash when I forced to land off and the tall grass tripped me up.

My Sabre2 170 is an awesome canopy. My only complaint about it is that it recovers from the dive quicker than I would like it to.

My Sabre2 170 is an awesome canopy. My only complaint about it is that it recovers from the dive quicker than I would like it to.

Have you tried lengthening your brake lines and moving your diving loops up? If there isn't any conflict between the two, you can front riser turn to double front and hold in there for quite some time. The Sabre 2 has a big fat performance envelope that ranges on up to some serious swooping.

A Sabre2 107 is most likely my next canopy, though, I do still really enjoy my Sabre 120.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Yeah, I was thinking Vengeance, but when it really comes down to it... it would just be a winter canopy. I love doing hop and pops and high pulls, but wingsuiting always takes the lead. I still want something a bit less docile (not that my Sabre 120 is really even docile), but wingsuit friendly at the same time. Also, it must be made by PD. :) Sabre2 seems to be the match.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

After Jari chopped his spinning canopy last Sunday, I had to remind him of why I traded my smaller velocity for the Sabre2. We had already had a conversation about it and he was already seriously contemplating the same thing. While I never had a single problem with my Velocity 79 in my wingsuit, I always knew it was not the smartest thing in the world to be doing.

Chuck

Chuck

From what I hear about their on heading openings, wouldn't a Crossfire2 be a good canopy for an advanced wingsuit pilot? But then again it's not from PD (which may effect you, but not me). :) I really have enjoyed my Sabre2 (the 190 and especially my 170 and I enjoyed the 150 I demoed a few weeks ago). But since PD doesn't have a competitor to the Crossfire2 (yet) and I'm not really up for a Stilleto, I'm likely going to be flying a Crossfire2 (or maybe a Samurai) as my next canopy. :$ But I may come back to PD in the future (LOL ... I'm still flying PD as my main and reserve so I haven't left them ... yet I talk as if I have).