HCnorway

How much height does your canopy lose on 180 degree frontriser turs?

Hi.
I am writing a paper on canopy control, and is studying the different characteristics of high performance canopies.

My own Crossfire2 loses about 500 feet when I do a slow front riser turn using both front risers. My wingloading is about 1.85.
If you have a high performance canopy, I would really appreciate you experience with your canopy.

Please give name of canopy, your wingloading and how many degrees of front riser turning.

Best Regards
HC of Norway

Paaska2003 184a.JPG

My safire2 169 loaded @ 1.4 (almost) loses about 300 if I do a slow 180 turn, hence the crossfire2 169 that should be here tomorrow. Im gonna maul the poor UPS guy when he pulls up.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Heatwave 170 loaded at about 1.7:1.

I loose about 400ft through a 180 front riser.

i have the same canopy with the same wing, only i don't lose but about 300'. but i imigine AggieDave is way more advanced than i in front riser snaps, i plan on taking some notes this weekend.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

i plan on taking some notes this weekend.

Dude, with the talent that is in Waller, I'd take notes from them. I'm still very very much a newbie at high performance landings.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

85 vx @ 2.3 or 2.4 wing loading.

i would say ~ 700 or so (maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less). i don't use an altimeter to do it, i just do it when it looks right, and i'm guessing about that.

and that is kinda of a hook/carve (not a snap, but i am flat with the canopy). i use both risers in this (i grap both, pull em down a bit, the bull one side down a bit more to get the amount of turn i want, and let both up, easily). i don't have to"digg" out of the corrner with the altitude i do it at.

later

Cobalt Comp 105 at 2.2 lb/sqft
Depending how I do it snap 180 or looong carved 180 using both or only one riser I easy get a range of 150 up to 1000 ft in my dives.

I think this is a pretty unik Cobalt Comp feature.

Show life respect, in every aspect... Dont kill the fly...

yes.;)

I have a comp cobalt 105 loaded at about 2.1

hard snap 180 using both risers...~500 ft
carving or more gradual turns 600-700'

I get too impatient to start higher than 700 and try a more gradual turn.

"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

I have a crossfire 2 also loaded at 1.85. I would say about the same, but I find myself starting about 200 feet higher and sitting in double fronts until I get to a point where I should let out to plane out.
-yoshi

My Velocity 79 goes 700 feet through a 270 with not much harness input. I can easily throw my turn at 1000 feet though and come out clean, without going to double fronts at all. It all depends on how much I slow the canopy down before throwing my turn, plus the degree of harness steer I put in.

My 75 Velocity dives a bit harder, but, once again, I throw my 270 from between 700 and 1000 feet.

Chuck

In general I think that most people highly over estimate/ overstate their turn execution height. Most turns happen in the 400' to 500' range for X-brace canopies. I'm not saying that its a pride or ego thing, just that watching (and doing) these turns regularly it becomes quite clear that no one is doing a 180 from 700'. I wass just thinking about this from the top of a 800' tower on Tues. evening. Even a 270 from 700' would leave you hanging with all but the most gentle carving 270' using only the harness. I also do not use a altimeter, as most swoopers do not, but a more realistic number for non x-brace canopies is proabably 200', and X-brace is probably 400'. As always, your actual useage may vary, and planets coming up at you may appear larger than actual size.

Tree B|

Most turns happen in the 400' to 500' range for X-brace canopies.

Don't know where you are getting that impression... as a PRO qualified PST member that does wear an alti, I can say with great confidence that I start my turns around 800' for a 270, sometimes higher... I might throw a 180 from 500' but that's rare... and watching a lot of top 10 guys... they are not busting 270's from 500'.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

He did ask specifically about 180's.

BTW, do you actually sit there and look at your altimeter while lining up your turn? And since you are dropping ratings and so forth, what is your PRO Tour Ranking?

As I said, it is just an observation I've made. Your results may vary.

Tree;)

I look at my alti when as I get to my point, reads right around 1K, my turn starts about 2-3 sec later.

I know he asked about 180s... most of the responses that refered to higher turns also stated that the were 270's... I've seen Hooknswoop pull 180's very high, although I'm not sure his exact altitude.

Not ranked this year, as of yet. I was not able to make it over to the PC comp.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Lotus2 170 at 1.25:1. I start double fronts into a 180 carve at about 400 ft and finish with a brief return to doubles. It ends up being a tad high, but the canopy continues the dive, so all I need to do is bump it into the plane out.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I look at my alti 1500, 1000 and 500.

If I wait more than 2 s or so after 500 I will be low and have to let off my risers. it is better for me to turn right above 500 (as an alti wears out or ges wetB|, I have to rely more on sight due to inaccuracy and my turns are less precise

Jay Moledski (one of the best in the world) has an altimeter on his front leg strap so he can keep his eyes on the ground and the alti at the same time..

:P

"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

Likewise, as a three-year PRO swooper who DOES look at his altimeter on every turn, I can say with confidence that I execute my turns at either 700-750 or 1000 feet, depending on what type of turn I hope to complete. Also, regardless of whether I am executing a 180 or a 270, the time it takes to complete the turn remains the same, as does the initiation altitude.

There are very few people on tour who do NOT use and look at their altimeter to judge their initiation height. The reason for this is that on tour we jump over all types of terrain. Knowing that I throw my turn around four times treetop height here at Raeford (We have very tall pine trees, like the Ranch) does me no good when I am swooping the pond at Perris, which has absolutely NOTHING to judge your altitude by. That is the exact reason that swooping, at least at my level, has come so far so quickly. There is an absolute science to getting good results out of your turn. While the individual technique varies slightly among competitors, we all end up looking very-much the same overall.

To reiterate: yes, most of us DO use altimeters and yes, we do know how high we throw our turns.

Chuck Blue

Good to see that so many are interested in this matter.

jdhill: I must say that I can't agree with your on those low altitudes for 180 or 270 degree double frontriser carv. If you have understood my question right. Sorry if my english is not the best.
I have always been asking for double frontriser carvs and not snappy hooks as we know of from back in the 1990s

Thanks again for all replies. This helps me a lot.

Regards
HC