12bhi

SEVEN verses NINE

There is no such thing as a safer wing (unless you count the old design like a Nova as dangerous) based on cell count. There are factors such as glide ratio and forward speed that changes with 7 vs9, is that what you were asking about?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

150 square ft is 150 square ft. The difference is in the construction. In simple terms a nine cell is further across and shorter front to back, while a seven cell is shorter across the front and is longer front to back. The greater span of the nine cell is what gives it better glide and responsiveness.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

Phreezone what do you know about the Nova? You were not even skydiving when it was in production or even when it was recalled.

i was skydiving when the 3-ring was invented, nor was I skydiving when there was a recall of the large ring of the 3-ring, but I know quite a bit about the 3-ring.

Wether someone was jumping or not when a piece of gear was invented or being produced doesn't mean that they don't know anything about it.

If you would like to defend the Nova, fine, then post your opinion of it, hell start a new thread, but don't defend the Nova by attempting to discredit someone because they were not jumping when it was being produced.

Hook

I defended the Nova from 1994-2000 when I stopped jumping it. That horse has been beat to death. I'm over it but when I see people using it as an example when they have no knowledge of the canopy but what they have heard around the campfire it fuels me to respond

The Farm

when they have no knowledge of the canopy but what they have heard around the campfire it fuels me to respond

Far be it from me to be anything of any kind of expert on anything under the sun with the exception of real estate....

But I've found Phree to be very well educated, and when he doesn't know something, he digs up the answer. If he gets his information from the campfire, so be it. If it sparks an interest, and he then takes the time to research it (which I think is what happens, frankly), then what's the harm in that? There is no reason to jump on him and call his credibility into question. Should you have a different opinion, I'd be interested in hearing that, not where and how Phree got his info... :)
And I'm curious...why did you stop jumping a Nova?
Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I defended the Nova from 1994-2000 when I stopped jumping it. That horse has been beat to death. I'm over it but when I see people using it as an example when they have no knowledge of the canopy but what they have heard around the campfire it fuels me to respond

Yes, why did you stop jumping it? I was around in that era. I've seen them in action.
-
-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Oh boy! Here we go!:D

To NOVA, or not to NOVA?:ph34r:;)B|:D

Personally, I have always jumped 9 cell planforms, except for my ONE reserve ride. I just think that 9 cell canopies tend to have a higher performance range. The 7 cell planforms tend to typically have a slower forward speed while having an increased vertical speed.

The 7 cell planforms are much better accuracy canopies. Both canopies have their own type of flare so they really aren't comparible there.

Horizontal distance ability is somewhat different for the two types of planforms. Typically, the 9 cell canopies can fly further. However, both canopies are capable of impressive cross country distance when flown correctly. Some canopies fly better distances when flown in rear risers and others fly better in brakes. That is something that has to be worked out on what ever you are jumping.

When it comes to cross braced canopies, there are some 21 cell (7 cell planform) that can out fly certain other 27 cell (9 cell planform) canopies when in the right hands.

The truth is......both canopy types are good. It is just a matter of what you want to do with a canopy that makes one better than another.

B|
Listo

Live today as tomorrow may not come

I have an AR-11 I occasionaly jump. Some DZ's won't let me jump it because of a bad rep from a few with manufacturing defects. i lucked out and got a good one! So goes the Nova.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

When it comes to cross braced canopies, there are some 21 cell (7 cell planform) that can out fly certain other 27 cell (9 cell planform) canopies when in the right hands.

Uh... and there are some 9 cells that will outperform other 21 cells in the right hands. It's a fairly subjective argument. There is no "best" canopy out there, 7 or 9 cell, cross-braced or not. And to apply general flight characteristics to a set of canopies based on cell numbers alone is arbitrary at best.

Jason

Uh... and there are some 9 cells that will outperform other 21 cells in the right hands. It's a fairly subjective argument. There is no "best" canopy out there, 7 or 9 cell, cross-braced or not. And to apply general flight characteristics to a set of canopies based on cell numbers alone is arbitrary at best.

Jason

I love the 9 cell glide at landing...however, it was a 7 cell that landed me on target 10 declared jumps in a row for my Pro rating 2 weeks ago. ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon