Viking

What are the Dangers of underloading a HP Canopy?

I jump a crossfire1 @ 1.2-1.3 and a stiletto 97 @ 1.3 haven't had any problems with either other than the stiletto tends to open with closed endcells (it needs a new lineset though). Out of the 2 canopies though I prefer the crossfire, just get much softer openings.

I've jumped the crossfire at both sea level and 6200ft, landings and openings at both altitudes haven't been an issue.
Fly it like you stole it!

Before I bought my Xaos 21, I thought my wife and I might share the canopy. I called PA and asked the same question. I was told the lighter loading (.9)
would not be enough to experience the performance potential of the canopy, but landings would be very nice.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

no don't have any particular canopy in mind. just wondering if problems would arise if you loaded a hp main less than the manufactor standards.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I've jumped a few HP canopies at a lighter loading then the 1.2 that you are asking about. Other then the increased odds of end cell closure I thought they were nice canopies. One thing I wish I had kept better track of was all the canopies I've jumped an in what size and loading. I tacked on 18 pounds since I started jumping 2 years ago so I forget the exact loadings for a few months.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My friend is jumping an FX loaded at 1.4ish.

no problem. It fits his container and goes faster than his old canopy...and the price was right.

ramon
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

I have been jumping a Stiletto 170 for a while.
At 1.1 it was everything but rock-solid, the wing was breathing or pulsing, and jumped around a bit if there was any wind. It was still fun to fly but I think it wants to be loaded more.
---
PCSS #10

so a stiletto 170 loading at about 1.2 would be stable enough to learn a hp elliptical?

Give Skydive Chicago a call and ask their experience with that loading on that canopy, they used to use them in light loadings in their canopy progression.

1.2 on a Stiletto is a nice level, I put 5 jumps on a Stiletto 150 and it was really stable. Granted, there are better canopies to learn on then a Stieltto. A Stiletto has a very short recovery arc so if you are planning on getting a different canopy in the future I'd possibly look at using a Sabre2 to learn more about HP canopy flight then the Stiletto.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Are there any dangers in loading a High performance main lightly (say 1.2-1.3)

1.2-1.3 is a good level. I don't consider that underloading anything except a crossbraced. And even then the only thing you are doing is wasting money. I would consider .75 : 1 underloading a stiletto any more and you are good.

Edit: I forgot to put that my first 25 stiletto jumps were in this range and I had a blast!

I have been jumping a Stiletto 170 for a while.
At 1.1 it was everything but rock-solid, the wing was breathing or pulsing, and jumped around a bit if there was any wind. It was still fun to fly but I think it wants to be loaded more.

I agree my stiletto 97 @ 1.3 breaths alot more than my crossfire 104 @ 1.3 (WL aided with lead). I've seen landing from the front of both...it really surprised me with the stiletto since it is a smaller canopy, but then again the closed off nose on the crossfire might have something to do with it. *shrug*

My vote for the best underloaded high performance canopy would have to be the diablo.

I would not personally feel comfortable jumping any closed nose canopy under 1.4

Just my sceptical opinion.

Rhino

You should try it before you comment, it is a very comfortable canopy at low wingloading. Breaths A LOT less than other "open nosed" canopies I've jumped at higher wingloadings. Personally I prefer the flatter glide angle of a 9 over a 7, I'm making it back from spots most people don't. Also the openings can't be beat by any other canopy I've jumped, that is quite a few now. Actually only non-crossbrased elliptical I haven't tried is the nitron and that is only cause PA never returned my email or call about getting a demo.

not my wing loading thats for sure!

hehe...right there with you, last time I went to downsize I ended up loosing the same amount of weight as I down sized. No change in WL, well other than that drop 3 weeks before the new one came.:S

Give Skydive Chicago a call and ask their experience with that loading on that canopy, they used to use them in light loadings in their canopy progression. ***

Um we do not use Stiletto's during AFP!!! We use Saber 2's loaded lightly.

Some not all of the students will transition to a slightly loaded Stiletto. It depends on the jumper.

I have a Stiletto loaded at 1.2
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Give Skydive Chicago a call and ask their experience with that loading on that canopy, they used to use them in light loadings in their canopy progression. ***

Um we do not use Stiletto's during AFP!!! We use Saber 2's loaded lightly.

Some not all of the students will transition to a slightly loaded Stiletto. It depends on the jumper.

I have a Stiletto loaded at 1.2

I believe a few years ago there were more stilletos in use, then they went to safires for a bit, then sabre2, but I could be wrong. Even so, part of the progression is putting students on lightly loaded elips of some sort.