drenaline

how you loosen the chest strap?

I have a dolphin and I can't loosen the chest strap under canopy, I collapse the slider, take it down and then start wrestling with the chest strap to loosen but its a mission with no success.

Is there a special way to do it? a trick? a hint? something?

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

Are you tugging on the strap, trying to pushe the extra back through the binder or pulling on the binder? I generally just grasp the binder, pull it perpedicular to the strap to release the friction lock and gently pull it away from the strap. Works like a charm. :)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I know your problem!!! It can be kinda hard on a Dolphin. I take both arms and squeeze (towards the center of your chest) in on the harness to take the pressure off the hardware. Then use your left hand to pull the hardware striaght out from your chest. Then let off the pressure slowly and the excess will easily come through.

I will tell you, drenaline, my chest strap loosens all by itself...it has to make it "over the hills" on opening, and once took my bra right along with it...LOL...

Seriously, why do people loosen their chest straps? Is there a reason? I took the water training, and they say to do it then, but I always thought it should be tight and fastened.

Help? Thanks!

Ciels and Pinks-
M

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Seriously, why do people loosen their chest straps? Is there a reason? I took the water training, and they say to do it then, but I always thought it should be tight and fastened.

It should be snug for freeefall but under canopy is a different matter.

For high-performance canopy pilots, loosening the chest strap allows the harness and, consequently, the risers to spread farther apart and helps to flatten out the canopy for better performance.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

For high-performance canopy pilots, loosening the chest strap allows the harness and, consequently, the risers to spread farther apart and helps to flatten out the canopy for better performance.

The performance benefits aren't limited to high-performance canopy pilots either. I fly a Safire 189 loaded at around 1.3 or 1.4 and notice a significant difference in the flare when the chest strap is loose. I'm sure that the benefits are more dramatic when flying a highly loaded swoop machine, but they don't stop there.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Thanks, Kris and Jim.

So, would there be benefit for someone flying something at sub 1:1? It's a scary thought, loosening any of the straps while in flight. Just looking to understand the benefits versus the detriments.

Thanks-
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele

would there be benefit for someone flying something at sub 1:1?

Yep...your parachute will just plain fly better when it is allowed to spread out. It will be more stable, give better glide ratio, and flare once you let out the chest strap. It is something you kinda have to get used to. I like holding the end of the excess while I'm doing it JUST to make sure it doesn't go all the way through.....B|

flare once you let out the chest strap. It is something you kinda have to get used to.

Um, perhaps a woman should answer this (cause you have lost weight, Clay, and no longer have "man Boobies"...lol...)...But my chest strap does loosen some as I open, because it gets above my breasts under canopy, but is fastened tightly under them when I gear up. Should I loosen it more than it "naturally" goes, or is that enough? (And no, I am not a small chested woman...and yes, it can hurt as the strap travels...lol...).

Also, what should I expect to feel if I loosen my chest strap more?

Really odd questions, I know. Just wondering.

Ceils and Pinks-
Michele

Should I loosen it more than it "naturally" goes, or is that enough?

Loosen it all the way until there is only about 1 inch of excess material left and make sure that stays under the keeper. Don't want it to open by accident should you later need to cut away or something.

what should I expect to feel if I loosen my chest strap more?

Well....your harness will be more comfortable for one. The flight characteristics you probably won't notice until you land. It may even take a couple landings for you to really notice.

I will tell you, drenaline, my chest strap loosens all by itself...it has to make it "over the hills" on opening, and once took my bra right along with it...LOL...

I think Clay's been giving you a hand without you knowing.

Michele,
Depending on your experience level you may not want to bother with the chest strap loosening. It is just one more distraction when you should be flying you canopy. I collapse my slider, pull it down to neck level, roll it tight, stow it to my collar, loosen my cheststrap and take off my booties in about 5 seconds. During this my head is on a swivel and I am steering with harness input. When I do an occasional big-way I just collapse my slider and fly my canopy in the pattern. Only do what you are comfortable with and what you can do safely. JMO

I collapse my slider, pull it down to neck level, roll it tight, stow it to my collar, loosen my cheststrap and take off my booties in about 5 seconds.

In the first five seconds, I am still scrutinizing the canopy for defects, murmuring "Thank You, God", looking around for other people/canopies, and checking my alti and maybe starting to reach for the rear riser to turn toward the DZ. I haven't even gotten the slider stowed yet.

Um, perhaps the natural looseness would be o.k. for now, and once I'm more used to this incredible thing we do, I'll try to loosen it more. Thanks for teh explanations, everyone; I appreciate it mucho.

Ciels and Pinks-
Michele

Michele,

I would recommend that you get your nipples pierced and attach the chest strap to the rings with 3.5 mini links to avoid too much movement of the chest strap.

Let me know if that helps.

Steve

Another note: if you don't pull the slider down the risers to a position behind your head (which many people are not comfortable with) loosening the chest strap will not have any effect on how your parachute flies. The lines will still be constricted by the slider. This is not a bad thing, and your parachute was designed to fly like this, but if loosening the chest strap bothers you, don't do it just cause other people are doing it. Do it only because you want the (slightly) increased performance it can provide if coupled with proper slider stowage.

- Dan G