TALONSKY

OPINIONS ON CROSSFIRE 2

talonsky,

when asking for opinions on canopies it is always bennificial to provide additional information, i.e. which canopies have you jumped and how many jumps on each, what is your exit weight, skill level and goals?

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

For one.. there is a huge difference.. the Sabre2 is semi-elliptical and the Crossfire is fully elliptical. I'm yet to jump a Crossfire2 but from a few accounts.. its more radical then the original.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

OK I screwed up it should be opinion. Anyway, I am 225lbs out the door, I have been flying a Safire 169 wing loaded at about 1.65 to 1 over the winter (I got fat “245 lbs out the door” and now trimmed down). I currently am doing 90° front riser to double front riser for final and getting pretty good surf out of it. I feel that the next step is 180° then when they are dialed I would be interested in a new canopy. I have taken a condensed version of the evolution canopy course. My goal is to get longer surfs and take the next step in performance. I am sorry Dan but I am not interested in Cobalts.
Blue skies
Kirk

>Anyway, I am 225lbs out the door, I have been flying a Safire 169
>wing loaded at about 1.65 to 1 over the winter (I got fat “245 lbs out
>the door” and now trimmed down). I currently am doing 90° front
>riser to double front riser for final and getting pretty good surf out of
> it.

I'd say it depends on your objectives. If it is to continue to get decent surfs at that loading, I'd try a Sabre2 150 or thereabouts after you pur some more jumps on the Safire. You'll notice a marked improvement in swoop distance and front riser pressure should be a bit lower. If your objective is to get much more aggressive, a Crossfire 149 might be more to your liking. Some advice, though - make sure you can fly your current canopy before you downsize. For example, make sure you can:

-land in no wind and crosswind
-land with rear risers
-land uphill and downhill
-flare turn at least 45 degrees and stand up the landing
-flat turn at least 90 degrees at low altitudes (i.e. 50-100 feet)
-do no contact CRW with someone else
-land consistently in a 10 meter circle standing up

>I have taken a condensed version of the evolution canopy course.

Interesting; I did not know they offered a condensed version. What did it entail?

Thanks Bill for the input. One thing I found interesting, in taking the canopy course taught by Jim Slaton he said that you should never try landing a canopy with rear risers unless you had to. I can't remember all of it without my notes but something about aerodynamic difference between rear risers and toggles. I am not trying to start anything just thought it was interesting.
Kirk

Its way easier to stall on rear risers... but its an important skill to learn incase you make the mistake of leaving the brakes stowed on a long spot and pop them at 700 feet only to find one will not pop off. You can safely land this if you've practiced it under ideal conditons before the worst conditions.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I am thinking of the Crossfire 2 not Safire 2. The S&TA at my dz does not care for Icarus products after the way they handle the original Crossfire issue, plus he is a PD fan. So he thought that the Sabre 2 would be good as well as the Crossfire 2. I personally feel soon I will be ready to step over to full elliptical.
Thanks
Kirk

I did the exact same thing you did, sort of. went from a sabre (old) to a safire 149, to a crossfire 139. I'm about 225 out the door. Crossfire handled much better than the safire, better openings, and much better landings. Not sure about the Xfire2.... and Im now jumping velocities :)

The closest match to a Crossfire from PD is a Stiletto or a Vengence. I'm not a fan of the Stiletto... but there has to be a reason its the most popular elliptical ever made....

Check out BigAir Sportz Samauri.... I was VERY impressed by it....
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks Rhino, I have read your review of the Crossfire 2 and also read the reviews you have posted in the forums. I guess at this point I am looking for just general impressions from as many people as possible. Mainly to confirm what I believe about the Crossfire 2 (that is it is great) or to find the flaws in the canopy. After seeing the picture you posted of yours I am a little concerned about how much they closed the nose up. Those inlets are damn small. Anyways thanks
Kirk

an X-braced nose is closed more, and it might be a bit of an illusion as there is more of an opening on the bottom skin, which you might not be able to see. the idea behind it (IMO) was to get a more shaped nose (as in use fabric), and a more efficient airfoil.

My new review would be even better... :)
I can tell you that the inlets don't make a damn bit of difference.. If you look at the side on picture the nose is actually acting as a scoop?? cool huh.. Anyways.. The canopy is the fastest turning, most stable thing I have jumped.

I am extremely picky and I absolutely love this canopy. Bottom end it tremendous.

If you aren't use to "VERY" fast turns.. And I mean very fast.. You might not like it.. It turns faster than a comparable 110-vs 97 Diablo.. Until I jumped my crossfire2 I didn't think I would ever find a 9 cell that could turn as quickly as the diablo did..

1.85 is the optimal wing loading for this canopy.. I put weight on for a few jumps and loaded it at 2.15.. It was still incredible but the line got thinner in the bottom end.

Rhino

If you would compare Crossfire2 with similarly sized (and loaded) vengeance, what would the differences be ? Let's say the loading being 1.8-1.9 for example. Is there somebody who has actual experience on this kind of comparison ?
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Haven't flown the vengeance yet?

I am EXTREMELY picky when it comes to flight characteristics that I like in a canopy..

I am so happy with the crossfire2 that I actually don't even have the urge to jump anything else.. It is that much fun.

Rhino

Are you sure that before anyone decides to downsize his/her current canopy should

-land with rear risers
-land uphill and downhill
-flare turn at least 45 degrees and stand up the landing

???

I have 1000+ jumps and downsized couple of times and still have never even considered to land with rear risers. With ZP canopies it is way to risky... it is very easy to stall the canopy with rear risres.. it is question of millimeters. It is fine for experienced canopy pilots.. but why a 500jumped young friend should land a 1.5 loaded Sabre before going to a 1.75 loaded Spectre?

the other two manouvers are also more like competition swooping technics.

blue skies,

z

you can practice landing on rears at altitude by doing mock swoops.

i have only landed once without using toggles (i could not clear a line over and was low for a cutaway). i was very, very happy i had always practiced this manuever (at altitude) that day. i had to turn 180 to enter the edge of a corn field and came in fast. i let go of my toggles completely (i didn't want to instintualy pull on them). i am loaded 2.2 on my wing and with only rears my swoop was 300'+ and i finished up going much faster than i am used to, skiding, then plf'ing in a tumble for a good 25'.

definately practice at altitude so in the event you have to land on rears you will have a reasonable chance of not hurting yourself.

be safe.

sincerely,

dan <><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

yes, of course you can do whatever you want with your canopy if you have enough altitude... If I test jump a new canopy me myself also doing all crazy thing to see how it reacts for various riser and togle and harnes input. But it is different then doing it in a sharp situation close to the ground...
Of course if you have to... then it is a different case.

But as you wrote as well, landing a fast canopy with rear risres might hurt... so i would not say that it is "must" before downsizing canopy... it is a "must" only if you want to learn high performance landing or you want to be super curent canopy pilot who is prepared for all cases :) like landing a lineovered 2.2 loaded elliptical :)

blue skies

z

Demo'd a Crossfire 2 139 & 129 the 129 loaded at 1.5 and it flew great...1.5 is lightly loading that canopy since it tends to really want to fly, Icarus says the "sweet spot" for the canopy is 1.85 all in all i was very impressed, openings were very soft, riser pressure light, i was doing 180 left followed by 360 right no prob, its kinda of twitchy and likes to be landed with speed, the flare kicks ass you can slow that thing way down before stalling it. toggle turns were fast and i felt really in "control" im not a long snivel person so the only thing that i really didnt like were those long snivels i was constantly getting on the rear risers to pressurise the canopy.. if i had a camera on my head im sure this would be the canopy for me, very consistant.. the recovery arc is also longer then a crossfire 1...well thats my input i hope it helps a little

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man