Emmie

Changing closing loops

Is that advisable or should I just get my rigger or a packer to do it?

Just find an instructor or an experienced jumper you trust to help you out if you haven't done it before. It's very easy and only takes a minute. Just make it slightly shorter than the old one to allow for stretch.

emmie:

this is something that is quite easy to do, just remove the old one, measure it from the knot at the bottom to the bottom of the eye on the loop, and make your new one the same length. but if you've never done it before you would be better served to have a rigger show you how your first time. then after you replace this one, make a spare and carry it in your gear bag. hope this helps. :)
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

The first time you replace your closing loop, you want a rigger to show you. The second time, you want an instructor looking over your shoulder. After that you are on your own. It is easy once you know how.
Hint, when the rigger shows you the first time, ask him to watch while you make 2 or 3 spare loops. Practice drives a lesson home.
Replacing loops when they start to fray is a "good karma" thing, like washing your smelly feet or throwing trash in the trash can.

make your new one the same length.

Better make it a bit shorter, it will stretch. ***

It isn't so much that it will stretch, but the knot moving away from the loop under tension until it is very tight and the knot being pulled into the washer a bit that gives the impression that a loop stretched. So by tyeing the knot closer to the loop than the old one, it will end up the same length as the old one after a few pack jobs.

Replace your closing loop early and often. It is easy to do and they are cheap/free. If it were to break in free fall..........I watched a reserve closing loop break on opening. One of the reserve groments had a sharp edge and it eventually cut through the loop, launching his reserve PC as his main was sniveling.

When replacing closing loops on reserves (every reserve re-pack), I pull the loop very tight, mark it, position the washer and pull it tight again, make sure it is the corect length, then install it. After 120 days, the reserve closing loop comes back and it hasn't stretched. Sometimes the knot will have moved away from the loop a little bit (I can tell because of the mark on the loop), but not enough to matter.

Hook

As a hint, thread a pullup cord through the closing loop before removing it. Free one end of the cord, remove the old loop, put the new loop on the same end, rethread the pullup cord (wrap the free end in the captive part and pull it back through) and use the pullup cord to pull the new closing loop into position. It can help when trying to replace closing loops anchored deep in the pack tray.

We are talking about replacing a MAIN closing loop, correct ? Not sure about your A-license training, but it was part of mine: " know how to inspect and adjust a main closing loop" Replacing it is the same as adjusting it - you still have to untie the knot and retie it.

Basically, I thought you needed to know this before getting your A ??

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

It isn't so much that it will stretch, but the knot moving away from the loop under tension until it is very tight and the knot being pulled into the washer a bit that gives the impression that a loop stretched. So by tyeing the knot closer to the loop than the old one, it will end up the same length as the old one after a few pack jobs.

Dude....do you teach FJC's like this.....LMAO:D I just picture students walking around hours later asking "Did you understand ANYTHING he said..." ;) I was just trying to keep it simple........