scottaffi

Sabre 2 openings

:(I recently purchased a new Sabre 2 120 along with other gear. After approximately 18 jumps I have had only 3 that were on-heading. It is now on it's way back to PD for inspection/repair. I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if so what was the fix. As far as deployment body position, I can assure you that I am level during deployment. (3008 total jumps). Thanks for your input!
Blue Skies All!!

Diving turns to the right on opening? If so, do a quick search in this forum and the Swooping forum, its a bug that Sabre had in the Sabre2s for a while, we've discussed it quite a bit before.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have a question...
Seems that Sabre 2 owners fall into 2 groups....
Normal on heading and odd/ turning openings....

Can we find a correlation between manufacture date and good/bad openings?
My canopy was built in December 2001 and open a bit on the funky side.

I would love to hear from both sides on this.

thanks

Taking note from previous discussions, the earlier Sabre2s (I don't know an exact date) had the funky opening problems, if you contact PD and give them the serial number, they will be able to tell you if your canopy is one of those. They added stabalizers to the center cells and did a few other things (that I can't remember right now) to fix that "design feature." From what I understand, they're willing to fix it if you have an early canopy. Drop them a line and talk to them, they'll have all the correct info for you.

maybe by the time the nimrods get the Sabre3 out, they'll have something that actually works. i flew them for a while, there expensive, they slam you on openings, etc...never again. my hornet is a way better canopy than any sabre i'v ever flown, and doesn't costs near as much. my .02 usd.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Interesting that you had problems on yours Richard. I put about 30 jumps on a Sabre 2 170 @ close to 1.5 and didn't experience any hard openings, I did however experience some off heading ones. I thought it was one of the nicer canopies in the 'semi-elliptical/slightly-tapered' class that I've flown. The price however was prohibitive, I'll stick with my Safire for now.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I demoed a Sabre2 and put 2 jumps on it. Both had such hard openings that left bruises,[:/] not to mention off heading. I let a friend demo it and he had what he called uncomfortable openings and every single one opened off heading. He put 10 jumps on it. I will keep with my safire for now. Sabre2 is too expensive to be having those kind of openings. ;)

I put about 40 on a 170 and 3 on a 150. I'd have to say the 60% of my openings were "interesting" and challenging. I sent an email to PD and John LeBlanc responded. I changed my packing technique which seemed to resolve my problem. By then it was too late and I sent back the demo and my Spectre arrived. I still love the way the Sabre2 flies and lands, and when the major mods have been implemented, I will probably get one. But I'll still keep the Spectre around.

I changed my packing technique which seemed to resolve my problem.

Any chance we can get a little bit more details on the improved technique?
---
P.
"It Hurts to Admit When You Make Mistakes -
But When They're Big Enough, the Pain Only Lasts a Second."

Just like packing a stilleto. I know many jumpers at SDC with new Sabre 2s and they love them. Dropped that Saphire like a hot rock. Then Sunday a highly experienced jumper from IN had a hard opening on his Sabre2. Never happened before this jump. Got riser slap so bad it cut his neck. He was very sore on his neck and he had immediate response from some very beautiful nurses and EMTs. He did not go to the hospital but seemed to be doing better. A good whiplash opening. I wondered if he had line dump. Or possibly a slider was still collapsed when packed. He specifically remembers uncocking the slider so I don't know. But rolling the nose is one thing I did not ask him if he did. I do know that we pack them nose open just like the book says and they open great.

Chris

They added stabalizers to the center cells and did a few other things (that I can't remember right now) to fix that "design feature."

Very interesting. This is the first time I've heard of what they did to 'fix' the problem. When you remember the other design corrections can you post them?

I, too, had severe opening problems with the Sabre2-135 I demoed several months ago. It was from the first line of production and has been returned to PD.

The openings were so bizarre that I actually started to get 'canopy opening fright' and decided against purchase. It took -several- jumps on my trusty Spectre to finally get back in the groove again and not flinch at the opening sequence.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Actually, I have been thinking about it and the added stiffeners are the only things I can remember. Sorry I can't recall the rest of the things they did, if I do, I'll let you know.:)

>They added stabalizers to the center cells and did a few other things (that I can't remember right now) to fix that "design feature."

Those were actually added back in the design and testing phase.

Here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=84871;search_string=Sabre%20nose;#84871
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Back to this are we? I haven't experienced hard openings on the Sabre2, but have had several off headings 180 to the right. I have also had closed end cells simultaneously left and right. I have tried packing it several different ways and found what works best for me. As this is a demo, I have informed SQ2 and am in hopes that my new canopy will not have the same issue. I have asked several people that jump the Sabre2 and it appears that it is divided with so many variables, it is not too surprising. I am anxious to see if the newer manufactured canopy displays the same characteristics. Even so, this is a fine canopy but don't take mine or anyone elses word for it, jump one yourself and you will see why many are willing to step up to the plate and fork out the $$.
Cheers!!

[snip] I am anxious to see if the newer manufactured canopy displays the same characteristics. Even so, this is a fine canopy but don't take mine or anyone elses word for it, jump one yourself and you will see why many are willing to step up to the plate and fork out the $$.
Cheers!!

Well, I spoke with THE MAN at PD and he sez that they made some significant mods that weren't ready for public use. That was a month ago. So hopefully yours has the latest design improvements.

I also agree that the curious should jump it. Overall I liked the canopy, but decided to go with a Spectre. I'm a 7Cell guy. I'll probably get a Sabre2 in the future.

I know many jumpers at SDC with new Sabre 2s and they love them. Dropped that Saphire like a hot rock.

This happens very often when something new comes out. We like to be trendy or the manufacturer cuts a really good deal with the DZO to switch, knowing that new jumpers will follow the lead. Doesn't mean the new one is really any better or the old one isn't as good. Just read the thread. Interesting though, isn't it, if the Sabre2 is so good, why are they already working on a fix? Maybe it isn't going to be a fix but just a refinement or an improvement. Canopies all evolve, it is just part of the game. PD, Icarus, PA, Atair.......they are all seeking to improve their products and get an edge in a very competitive market.
alan

Many jumpers first demoed, then bought the Sabre2s after jumping and feeling an added flare power. They liked how it flew and they do appreciate PDs customer service. Yah....might be trendy, then again, they just might be buying a better product.

I put as many jumps on the Saphire as the Sabre 2 (only a couple). I normally jump a Stilleto 107. I liked how the Sabre2 flew and flared over the Saphire. My opinion.

Chris

Ditto the thought (on the Sabre-2 being a step up in evolution over the 1st Gen Safire) - I went from a Safire to a Sabre-2 during my student training back to a Safire for my first canopy (got it real cheap), put about 100 jumps on it, then hoped over to a Sabre-2 for the second canopy (with which I have about 60 jumps on since purchase). The Safire was snappier in the turns but had (what felt like) a lower glide ratio, where as compared to the Sabre-2 which feels like it has a very flat glide but is somewhat doggish in turns. And the Safire definitely took a bit of work to flare just right, whereas the Sabre-2 felt really easy to plane out and land.

I would be curious to see what improvements were made to the Safire line in the second gen canopy, but my next main will probably be one of them there high aspect ratio ellipticals this fall or next year - in my never ending quest to go faster and spiral till ya puke ;)