ddircksen

Trash, psycho, pro and flat?

Just a basic question... My DZ only teaches pro and flat packing and it's the only way I know how to pack, I've never seen anyone do trash and psycho packing. What's the main difference / advantage to using trash and psycho and is there a document somewhere that explains how to trash / psycho?

You can get step by step psycho packing instructions off both the Precision and Icarus websites; at least last time I browsed them. The major benefit to Psycho packing, at least in my experience, comes when you have a new, very slippery ZP main that you are having trouble getting into the bag cleanly. It's basically a pro pack that you throw on the ground upside down so as to have better control of the loose "tail" side of the packjob. When I was jumping my old VX, it made it much less of a hassle to get in the bag.
"Trash" packing can be any number of things. People would say my variety of PRO packing is trashy since I don't flake out the inside of my main at all, but I doubt that is what you are talking about. Bottom line here is that you want to find a method that will work for you which is both quick and safe. Walk around the DZ and check out what everyone else is doing. If you see someone getting done faster than everyone else, ask him or her how many mals they have packed using that method. If the answer is zero or some other really low number, then copy them.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

I always Psycho pack mine....I have found that with new Zero-P (21 jumps), it is damn slippery and psycho doesn't give the fabric a real chance to slide out from under me. It works really good if you're having a problem with that.
I understand what you are saying about only learning the packs. I only learned Flat packing in training. That kind of sucked because I didn't know how to pack when we got our rigs. Oh well. There were tons of people at Richmond who helped us learn how to do it.
In the end, most thanks to Kevin Yasuda for teaching us this psycho pack. It works so awesome! I actually packed my rig in less than 15 minutes after my last jump. That is nice to be done so quick....finally. :)JumpinDuo.com...news, pictures, skydiving and links.

In Pro pack position holding all the lines in one hand.....
After you flake the nose you jerk the nose very hard to the side to sort of straighten things up where the line attachment points are,
No flaking inside.
sort of neaten the brake lines.
Quarter the slider and do whatever you like to do to it.
stuff nose if you like.
wrap the tail the way you like.
lay on floor
Some people do this to stillettos and FXs. My FX likes to be packed this way.
My vengeance does not (it likes to be perfectly symetrical).
talk to lots of people and do what works for you.
ramon

Haeloth,
Canopy size does not limit Psycho packing.
Canopy nose design limits Psycho packing.
For example, I have psycho packed 425 square foot tandem canopies.
On the other hand, the noses on some blade running canopies are designed to open so slowly, that if you psycho pack a tiny Icarus Extremely Extreme, it will take more than 1,000' to open!

> I only learned Flat packing in training. That kind of sucked
>because I didn't know how to pack when we got our rigs
didn't know how? but you know how to flat pack.. how is that not knowing how to pack? i have over 700 jumps on flatpacks.. help me understand

There are quite a few variables in the packing process. I think more important than "learning the RIGHT way to pack" is to develop a consistant packing method...each time is exactly the same as the last. Today's canopies are very forgiving. I know a lady jumping a Sabre who psycho-packs and never takes out the 180 twist. She claims 600 jumps with not one problem! Your body position at pull time is as critical as the pack job. The two go together hand-in -hand. What method you choose needs to work for you. Don't be afraid to experiment and ask for advise and help.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

didn't know how? but you know how to flat pack.. how is that not knowing how to pack? i have over 700 jumps on flatpacks.. help me understand

Sorry. I should have specified. We would have had to pack our Safires either Pro or Psycho, but we had only learned Flat. I know, I know....people say you can pack any canopy Flat pack style. But, it wasn't going to happen.
So, we just had to learn after spending all that time with Flat packing, we just had to learn another. But hey, that isn't all bad. At least you learn a lot more about the canopy and what does what and what goes where and most importantly.....why. :)JumpinDuo.com...news, pictures, skydiving and links.

I have a semi-ellipt, (ignore my profile, my current canopy is similar to a sapphire) and it opens fine when trash-flat packed.
I can trash-flat (and be sure I don't have a line-over or step-through) quicker than most people can pro-pack, but that's just what works for me. I pro-pack and I flat pack, it just depends if its my first jump back, a low-altitude or specific jump. Pro-packing was meant to give a more consistant record of on-heading opens, this isn't the case, its as reliable as flat and psycho packs in most cases.
In the end, it comes down to whatever works for you. If it opens, it flies ok, and it doesn't break your back, fine. Mainly: check your lines and your pilot chute. If these are ok, it WILL open, just don't expect it to be pretty.....

I have a brand new out de box stilleto that now has about 100 jumps on it. I have pro-packed mine from day one and it only got away from me once, the first time I assembled it. I try to take my time and keep constant pressure on it when I go to do the S-folds. I also overlap the tail and that seems to give it a more organized opening, less diving and off heading plus I make sure the nose is perfectly even before I stuff it in. Works for me. Like someone else said, the bottom line is what works for you.
Drewfus McDoofus

How is it possible to flat-pack faster than a psycho or pro-pack?

i had some great openings flatpacking safires..... no big deal...
on the up side, now you're more informed jumpers in that you can flat AND pro...
Amusing story about flat vs pro... when the stiletto first came out, my DZO and his wife got a couple, and John leblanc called them up to tell them how to flake it so, and roll the nose this way , and push nose into center jus so much, etc.., etc...... when he was done they told him "john, we flat pack"... he replied "oh!, then ignore all that and keep packing normally"

Perhaps what Mountainman was trying to say is that he was capable of flat packing his new canopy but was not interested in being charged rent for extra carpet space...which every flat-packer should have to pay!

Would this have anything to do with the Richmond Boogie tent you guys got? ;) I flat packed in there a couple of time. I HATE packing SkyMasters. :D
JumpinDuo.com...news, pictures, skydiving and links.

Nah, just a joke. There is always plenty of space in the tent! I have paid the fee the last two boogies and packed for myself exactly three times. :D I pretty much use it for shade.
But it is always funny when the carpets in the hangar are full and someone plops down a canopy and starts to flat pack. It's like those people who park sideways in the parking lot, you just want to key the damn thing! ;)
FallRate

But it is always funny when the carpets in the hangar are full and someone plops down a canopy and starts to flat pack. It's like those people who park sideways in the parking lot, you just want to key the damn thing!

heh.... the difference is that i park sideways, go in, get what i need and leave, where so many others like to go in and window shop for an hour. All these other people seem to have this "rest for a while... then pack" mentality, but will stretch their gear out and take up space for quite some time.
between my packing speed and general habbit of packing a soonn as i get the rest of my gear off, bet i win the space/time argument. :P
besides, it's only laid out sideways for 60 sec or so..... i'll make sure it's all neatly put away inside the dbag by the time you have to worry about it (read: clearing your lines ;) ).
blue ones....
-jerm