Austin

Triathlon to Hornet

I've heard a lot of very good comments on the Hornet recently and would like to know if anybody has switched from a triathlon to a hornet. I'm looking to change to a nine cell so that I can get some more glide and maybe a little bit softer landing (I stand up 98% of my landings with the triathlon, but they still seem to be a bit hard at times). At the moment, I'm not really looking to downsize (my triathlon is a 190 at 1.14lbs/ft^2 and I have around 70 jumps). So all of you hornet jumpers, how would you rate the following characteristics: flare, glide, opening, pack volume? I do realize the obvious difference in aspect ratios i.e. 7cell vs. 9 cell, but would like to know how it compares anyway.
thanks
Austin

Austin,
I don't have a vast number of jumps on either of these two canopies. My guess would be that the Hornet will probably open harder. I finally got to jump my new hornet this past weekend and 3 of the 4 jumps openned hard. One sniveled for a few seconds and opened soft. I've only got 4 jumps on it so far and love the way it flies. I may need to work on packing it different. I have little experience packing O-P fabric. Steve

Hey Austin
This is exactly the route that I went. I was jumping a Triathlon 175 loaded at about 1.2 and went to a Hornet 150 loaded at about 1.4
What I noticed was the Hornet opened about the same as the Triathlon, nice and soft and on heading. Now keep in mind my wing loading changed some so this is not apples to apples. The Hornet tuns were faster, it had better glide but really the biggest difference was in the flare. The Hornet had a lot more lift on bottom end and would actually pop me back up during a bit of a surf. The triathlon would just kind of sink in and land me nice and soft. I think both are great canopies and like I said the biggest difference you'll notice is on landing. They are made of the same type of ZP material and are both fairly easy to pack. I don't know about pack volume because I downsized.
Steve I had a Hornet 150 and never had a hard opening, I didn't really do anything packing when pro-packing I did not roll the nose. I folded the 3 outside cells in toward the center of the pack and left the 3 center cell a lone. I pulled the slider out over the nose and rolled the tail fairly tight. I started psycho packing while I had the Hornet and had great luck with it also. Hope you get things straight because mine opened every bit as soft as my Triathlon.

I have jumped both. The Hornet is a more versatile canopy and I think it is more fun to fly. The openings are similar. The biggest difference is the angle of decent. The Hornet flies flatter and might take a few jumps to perfect your landings.
I'm not knocking the Tri, it's just that it dosen't surf very well and the Hornet has a stronger flare. I'm sure you will be impressed with the Hornet!
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

i made the tramsition after about 200 jumps between a triathlon 210, and a 190. while the openings are nice, the landings tend to "sink" in, no glide, i dreaded "no wind" days. so i bought a 9 cell hornet, where has it been all my life? great canopy, just set up longer for you final, because of the extended "glide" your going to get. the hornet is fast becoming the answer to the sabre2 in my opinion, at less than half the price. having said all of this, i have a brand new cobalt on order, even as we speak. (the hornet was bought used, and i didn't get to color coordinate it with my suit/rig) plus i want the cross braced fully elipitical! :D
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

**The spanwise triangulated braced nose reduces airfoil distortion on the most important part of the wing. Matches and exceeds performance of cross braced tricell canopies while providing the sweetest "multistage" openings, 15-20% smaller pack volume, and lower cost.The spanwise triangulated braced nose reduces airfoil distortion on the most important part of the wing. Matches and exceeds performance of cross braced tricell canopies while providing the sweetest "multistage" openings, 15-20% smaller pack volume, and lower cost.**
you referring to the competition models?
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

No... the regular Cobalt has no bracing and the Comp only has a nose mod to it basically. The Onyx is the crossbraced model from Atair. The Cobalt is just like a Stiletto in the basic design, elliptical 9 cell canopy.
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

**Since when is correcting an inaccurate statement stalking?**
the statement is acurate. the information provided came straight off of atairs web site. in the event it isn't accurate, if one certain person is there each and every time you post to argue, or refute what you have said, i consider that stalking. these are my thoughts, no one elses. atair makes several different models of canopies, as i'm sure your well aware, some nose modified, and the onyx, fully cross braced. consider this my last word on the subject, or go visit extremefly.com
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

Austin,
I got mine for $575. direct from South Africa. Shipping was about $70. more. I spoke with a guy named Manny. I don't have the website address with me here at work. I'm sure someone else will come up with it. It's kind of hard to get through to them with the foreign phone numbers etc. (but don't give up) I got my Hornet within 4 weeks after placing the order. Also prices seem to vary and may be higher now. Steve

I too have had really nice and long openings!!! I know the pack volume in hornets is smaller....for instance pack vol on my pd170 was lkke 416 and a HOR 170 is like 375......my HOR 150 is 335!!! Love this canopy...sorry cant compare to a TRI...never jumped one!!
jason

Steve, That sounds like a really good plan, I remembered hearing about going that route a couple of months ago and was hoping somebody would post how they went about getting one directly from South Africa. If you still have the website or email or anything about where you got it, I'd really appreciate it if you could help if nobody else can. Thanks
Austin