Michele

Jumpsuit question

I am at the point where I think it's time to start getting my equipment together. I was thinking today about a jumpsuit...but I don't know anything but student stuff, and what I "borrow" from Square One. I am not freeflying (well, at lesat not intentionally! I occasionally get loopy in the air....:)So, I would like opinions/acdvice on the following:
1. Maker/Brand
2. Cost
3. Fabric (no spandex - I know that already!)
4. General timeline from order to having it
5. Booties or not
6. Everything else you think I missed....
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
If you really want to, you can seize the day; if you really want to, you can fly away...
~enya~

If you are looking for a suit, look used first if you are unsure how serious into RW/Freefly you might be getting. There are a lot of good, gently used RW suits out there since the freeflier at the core of the jumper was allowed out only after they bought RW gear.
If you insist on new, call up the dealers and discuss options with them. I like my Merlin Suit a lot, but CAN'T WAIT till my Firefly suit arrives in 3 weeks :)If you just want an off the shelf, works for a large amount of people, limited color choice suit, check out Body-Sport USA or the Slipstream Suits at Paragear.
As for material, if you are fast, avoid nylon, look more at Cotton or Polycotton. If you are REALLY fast, demin has been known to slow people down.
Booties/not to Booties... that is the question ;) If you want to RW and can get them, do. If you are looking at a multipurpuse suit... its hard to sit fly with booties on.
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

Michelle,
I was (still pretty much am) one of those fast falling, not skin and bones, super arching females. A few years ago, when I was not too long off student status, I landed after a 4 way attempt with the DZO and 2 other low timers. The DZO (who had caught me while the other 2 floated above) said "you need swoop cords and booties!" So, my first suit was a Tony Swoop suit, I think the poly cotton material, with swoop cords and booties. Both will help you control your fall rate, but using swoop cords can have some drawbacks as well.
My newest and favorite suit, (which gives me the most range and control), is my Zute Sute. It has a spandex wing, with swoop cords in a channel. I can tighten or loosen them very easily, (even in gear, on the plane, etc...) and I can't do that with my 2 Tony Suits. Zute Sute has a SKYChix suit which is designed especially for women. Now I am partial to Zute Sutes.
As far as cost, I think the standard "base price" is around $185.00 for a Tony or Zute suit (RW), but with extras like booties, swoop cords, fat grippers, reinforced knees or butt (which I recommend) you can get to $300.00 pretty easily. Realistically, think around $225.00 to $250.00 for a custom suit with the options you need.
Fabric- A heavier cotton blend, with a "blousy" fit. Not baggy, but not skin tight either!
Timeline- 6-8 weeks is probably realistic unless you are willing to pay a "rush" fee.
I say yes to booties OR toe loops, with a zipper on the legs to make the suit easier to put on and take off.
I would also recommend swoop cords WITH a spandex wing- (I love the extra control). They will help slow you down when you are approaching a formation and docking, and if you don't need them you don't have to use them. The spandex wing with the channel is just a much better design than what I have in my Tony suits. (I'm pretty sure Tony offers that now as well.)
Unless you are doing "hardcore" rw, you probably don't need the super fat grippers, or the inside leg grippers. This is only your first suit. As you get more experience you will be able to control you fall rate better, and you'll have a better idea of what kind of skydiving you want to focus on. Maybe you'll move on to the "dark side", maybe you'll fall in love with 4 way!
Most important (besides the colors!) is to get good measurements taken- do not do it yourself!
And, about the colors, hey this is a custom suit. Have fun with it and get what you want!
Definately for RW, you need a properly fitting suit with grippers. It will make a lot of difference in your flying. And yes, they do say "Fly your body, not your suit!" but they also say "Dress for success!"
Good luck! Hope that's helpful!
Blues!
maura

CALL RALPH... 1-800-2-5867. yes a shamless promotion. i have bought 4 suites all RW from him and he is very resonable. the first one i bought for 50.00 and later sold for 75.00. but he does a great job. can be a little slow with shipping, but what can i say.
just my 0.02.
blue skies.
why jump when you can fly

Michele --
Nobody at any far off and distant gear manufacturer is going to be able to give you a recommendation or fit you as well as the folks just inside the door over at Square One.
I'm beggin' ya to go into Square One and talk with them.
They're going to know exactly the situation you have and probably will know the things to do in order to be able to deal with it. Each manufacturer has strengths and weaknesses -- they'll know which one will suit you the best.
quade
http://futurecam.com

I have to agree with Quade. Square one will be your best for getting what you need . Besides, when you have one of the best gear stores in the business at your home DZ why go anywhere else?
Btw, should you decide to call Ralph Hatley, the complete # for western parachute sales is 1-800-200-5867 (and yes, you do need to ask for Ralph,lol!)
G. Jones
"Why don't they have a light bulb that only shines on things that are worth looking at?"

I'll throw in my 2 cents re. swoop cords as a fast faller...
They are nice to come back up or stop a swoop. They are not good for slowing you down overall. They make flying more difficult: if you are in a formation and get pulled a bit backwards, your arms will probably extend and inflate your wings, making you backslide like crazy.
I've got them on my slowest suit for larger formations if I'm diving. But when you are locked into the formation, you have to keep a conscious focus on keeping your arms locked and not allowing them to extend.
Remster
Muff 914